Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Fail safe - Not so safe...!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 08:23 AM
SAVAGEJIM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fail safe - Not so safe...!!!

The LED volt sensor is a nice idea, how easy is it to see while running? I guess if it were to go from green (meaning good) to red (meaining low V, recharge batts), then that is a good enough sight cue to take your RC in to either change the RX batt or recharge it.

I like this idea really, that way I know for sure that whenever I am running about, my RC will have enough juice to kick in failsafe, which I have preprogammed to actuate the electronic kill switch.

EDIT: I goofed, I meant I have the Failsafe programmed to actuate the kill switch. It would be stupid to have the FS activate the FS!
Old 04-15-2009, 09:40 AM
SELWA
My Feedback: (1)

It's small enough to fit anywhere and only costs $20. I like using one made by EXPERT. I fit it inside my RX box and looks nice and neat. After awhile you feel when you electronics start acting strange, then bring it in and have a look. Plus depending on how big you battery is and what servos you are using makes all the difference.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:44 AM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

I can check the voltage of both my RX and TX from the screen on my TX and if the batteries get low on either my TX will go to buzzing and vibrating.

I would not run with out a kill switch as it is just cheap insurance not only for the vehicles but all so could keep a lawsuit from happening.[X(] I recommend you send a email to Kent at PB kill switch as I think he can help you out.
Old 04-15-2009, 01:09 PM
monsterbrad

I am running the duratrax fail safe on both my large scales and they work ok.
They kick in every now and then when the truck is super far away or when the battery gets to the low point.
I have been thinking about a kill switch but here is my question???
Do they kill the engine on any little glitch or just when the signal is lost.
I am running a JR synthesized radio.????
Old 04-15-2009, 01:15 PM
csp1971

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Here is a great FAQ on the rckillswitch.com web site:

http://www.rckillswitch.com/faq/faq.php
Old 04-15-2009, 01:26 PM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: monsterbrad

I am running the duratrax fail safe on both my large scales and they work ok.
They kick in every now and then when the truck is super far away or when the battery gets to the low point.
I have been thinking about a kill switch but here is my question???
Do they kill the engine on any little glitch or just when the signal is lost.
I am running a JR synthesized radio.????
I am surprised your JR does not have FS aleady built in. Alot of radios are now beginning to be made with the RX also having FS as part of its built-in features

As for the kill switch and FS combo, yes, a glitch could make the FS actuate he kill switch, but I think the glitch would make the RC do other unwanted stuff before like twitch the servos or something like that.
As for the FS actuating the kill switch, it depends on how you program it. If you set the FS to go to certain settings, like make the throttle servo go to brake, make the wheels return to straight forward, you can also program it to make the 3rd channel to actuate the kill switch as well for a variety of conditions.
It all depends on what reasons you program the FS to do its thing. You can program it to activate when signal is lost, or when your RX hits a certain low voltage. And then the FS will make all the RX channels do what you want them to do: throttle go to brake, wheels go back to straight forward, and kill switch kill the engine.
Old 04-15-2009, 01:50 PM
rc-martin

I recently had a Failsafe incident with my MCD Baja 1000. The wire from the receiver battery broke off leaving the failsafe with no power to apply the brakes, the heatshrink around the wire that broke off held the wire against the deans connector post to temporaraly restore power and apply the brakes about 5 seconds after I lost control. Luckily I was running in open space so no damage was done.

I now have a spring attatched to my throttle servo arm strong enough to return it to neutral if all power is lost. I am looking at getting a Killswitch in the near future.

Be Safe Guys
Old 04-15-2009, 01:53 PM
46u

I will say it again I will not run mine with out a kill switch!!!!!!!
Old 04-15-2009, 02:13 PM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: rc-martin

... I am looking at getting a Killswitch in the near future.

Be Safe Guys
And you will not regret it when you get one. Aside from the kill switch saving you butt from some expensive damages, it is also VERY convinient to have when you want to kill the engine by way of your radio!
I really enjoy that convinience, and to be honest, I was swayed by the convinience more than the safety factor!
Old 04-15-2009, 05:35 PM
wan6176

killswitch is the best
Old 04-16-2009, 08:12 AM
monsterbrad

I will look at one today
Thanks savageJim you cleared that up for me
Old 04-16-2009, 09:05 AM
46u

csp1971 pasted this above and those that do not understand about kill switches need to read this so I am going to post it again!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.rckillswitch.com/faq/faq.php