Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

King Motors Baja Review with pictures

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

King Motors Baja Review with pictures

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 11:58 PM
Bat Fastard
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: King Motors Baja Review with pictures

ORIGINAL: BigGrump

If that idea actually works, how great...... good job.

Dennis
Is your post sarcastic? Or, were you actually questioning the ability to make a powerful exhaust quiet and still keep the power?

BF
Old 12-18-2009, 12:09 AM
KeithjV

BF what do you mean about the air filter being noisy?
Nice work on the muffler. Ever make one for the nitro pipes?
Old 12-18-2009, 12:21 AM
Bat Fastard

ORIGINAL: KeithjV

BF what do you mean about the air filter being noisy?
Nice work on the muffler. Ever make one for the nitro pipes?
What I mean is, there is a lot of noise coming out of the "intake" side of the motor. When the exhaust gets quiet, then you can HEAR the intake/air filter side of it. I had a good friend of mine from Austria come to the states a few years ago on buisness. He wanted to race his Serpents locally and he had a huge air box on all of his cars. I asked "What is that for?" and he demoed to me the difference between regular K&N style filter and the Serpent air box and I was amazed at how much difference it made. Thanks for the compliments on the silencer and no, I haven't messed around with nitro cars for at least 3 yrs.

BF
Old 12-18-2009, 12:23 AM
KeithjV

Ah ok gotcha.
Thats too bad on the nitros. Im curious if a silencer could be made for those as well.
Old 12-18-2009, 12:29 AM
Bat Fastard

ORIGINAL: KeithjV

Ah ok gotcha.
Thats too bad on the nitros. Im curious if a silencer could be made for those as well.
I'm sure one could be made. Its just a matter of finding out how much volume of air needs to be captured and cooled before it gets vented out without messing up the back pressure in the pipe. If theres enough demand, someone will do it.

BF
Old 12-18-2009, 02:17 AM
BigGrump

Is your post sarcastic? Or, were you actually questioning the ability to make a powerful exhaust quiet and still keep the power?
Not sarcastic in the least. You cannot believe how many Baja 5b owners, on another web site, try over and over again to get the noise down without losing performance. My best try is the pipe you are using, with a silencer fitted on the end connected with flex hose. Works some, but is still too loud.

This has been a big problem for many people for a long time. Some cannot even start their baja's in their neighborhoods.

Only noise reductions that help much are so restricting in power output.

I ment it, please, keep up the good work. Will really pleasantly suprise me if you can get nearly all the performance of the Dominator pipe, and quiet like the model airplanes you mention.

Dennis
Old 12-18-2009, 11:50 AM
ace@
My Feedback: (9)

Hey Man Nice JOB! How much more quite is it? Do you have more detailed pics? or Video of you running with it? Looks like all you need to do is crome it and it will look like part of the dom pipe!
Old 12-18-2009, 11:56 AM
ace@
My Feedback: (9)

Guy's I have a question... When I got the Clone DOM pipe the gasket that came with it is one of the best gaskets I ever used I have taken the exhaust off like three times and the gasket is still perfect. It is a metal gasket with a rubber/gasket kind of coating. When I see the metal I just DAB a little liquid gasket RTV and let it dry before I put it back on… My question is where can I get more of those gaskets? Do you know what I’m talking about?? I tend to babble a little !!!
Old 12-18-2009, 03:00 PM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: Bat Fastard

Hello all. I have been following this thread for almost a year now, you guys sem to have a lot of fun with this buggy. I know I have, but one thing has always bothered me, the rear dominator style pipe is just too loud for me. For the past 6-7 years I have been flying 35 to 40% airplanes and flying quiet is a must at most flying fields. I have become used to ''silenced'' exhaust systems in my planes and have been looking at whats currently on the market for these buggies to make them quiet without losing power. There are some options out there but I wanted to design/build something of my own that would be sure to make it truely quiet. As far as power is concerned, there doesn't seem to be any loss and it is MUCH quieter now. I made 10 passes on asphalt (roughly 250') with the pipe only then did the exact same test with the silencer on and got as close to exact times as I could measure. The tuning was exactly the same and the engine temps remained the same as well. (on board data logger) The next thing to do is to make an intake box to quiet down the air filter. (believe it or not it makes a LOT of noise) Its going to be much harder to make and not reduce performance so, it may take a few prototypes to get it right. All in all it took me about two hours today to make the silencer not too bad at all. (the pics dont show it finished, with the mount bracket and stinger on the outlet side, I'll post a pic of it tomorrow when I get back to work) Hope you enjoy!
They do this on some racing karts..
never thought about doing this on a baja, and it could actualy help with the noise levels alot
Old 12-18-2009, 04:33 PM
Bat Fastard

Thanks for the kind words guys. I'll make a vid of it next week so you can see how much difference it makes. It just started to snow here in VA so it may take some time. At least it'll give me some time to make a few air boxes and test them out. Hey BigGrump, you have a PM.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:31 PM
Sir Not Appearing

You know I never thought about that, but I can see where an air box would make a big difference. I've swapped out factory airboxes on cars for cold-air kits and put pod filters on motorcycles and both make a significant difference in intake noise. My only concern is that to get enough volume even for the 23cc engine that it would look huge compared to the size of the car. Good luck though and make sure you post your results!
Old 12-18-2009, 07:08 PM
niko64

dennis i got the silencer from ddm when they had the black friday sale,along with other stuff that were great deals.is it worth using to help quiet it down,or dont bother.i was thinking of the install that you rivet it to the pipe but is it worth the effort?
Old 12-18-2009, 07:26 PM
BigGrump

dennis i got the silencer from ddm when they had the black friday sale,along with other stuff that were great deals.is it worth using to help quiet it down,or dont bother.i was thinking of the install that you rivet it to the pipe but is it worth the effort?

Yes, the silencer is worth the effort. The day before yesterday I got the stock muffler for the 5T to put on my 5B, hoping for more noise reduction. The Dominator's noise with the silencer is reduced to somewhere between the dominator and stock can. Performance of the dominator with or without the silencer is better than the 5t can at bottom end and mis range, but top end winds out a little better with the stock can. At least that is how it seemed to me. I miss the violent low speed the dominator offers.

I would not rivit the silencer onto the exhaust pipe as it would be stiff and stick up and out too far. Surely easy to break off in a roll over.

I think a length of silicone hose ddm sells to curve the exhaust around to where the silencer points out from under the wing is a lot better.

I am really interested in how much Bat Fastard's muffler quites the dominator down. Need to see a video if possible.

Dennis
Old 12-18-2009, 08:15 PM
Johnnysplits

aahhhh...if ya want quiet, stick an electric motor in it LOLj/k.. to me, if its not LOUD its not fun can you imagine going to a drag strip and all the cars were quiet ? that would be the end of it you know, warehouse hobbies has a "carb snozzler" that might cut the intake noise down...its function is to help keep water from getting sucked into the carb while running a boat....it might just work, maybe with some modification?

Old 12-18-2009, 09:12 PM
niko64

ya know right after i sent that i thought the same thing.i just liked the factory look of the riveted silencer.but not as practical i guess.is your 5t pipe the same as my t1000 pipe?because that is not that quiet either.the thing is ilike the soundas most of us do,sounds cool.sometimes somebody willcomplain about the noise so whatdo you do?i still want the performance.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:31 PM
BigGrump

The solution I have in my mind is to get the baja as quiet as possible with minimum performance loss and use this set up where noise is a problem, and other times where noise is not a problem to change exhaust systems so it sounds like an open chambered open exhaust with megaphone dirt bike. More noise the better.

Dennis
Old 12-19-2009, 02:33 AM
srt10

being a sound engineer I for one like the idea of having a quieter baja with my DDM pipe..
My CF silencer help a bunch
Old 12-19-2009, 07:33 PM
bbuzzard
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the DDM silencer pipe and it works for me...I will post a video of the sound difference soon...performance-wise, I only lost about 1mph using the silencer but I need to check that with my GP290 to see if that is the same loss as the stock KM 23cc. Meanwhile, enjoy some new pics of my Baja beast while I'm sitting in a snow storm...

Old 12-19-2009, 07:41 PM
willclark77
My Feedback: (2)

That thing looks killer dude!  Bet you can't wait for good weather.

I took a few of mine playing around today that I'll post later.
Old 12-19-2009, 10:49 PM
srt10

possibly just need a slight tune to get the 1mph back
Old 12-20-2009, 06:48 AM
bbuzzard

ORIGINAL: srt10

possibly just need a slight tune to get the 1mph back
probably true...now that I have a different engine, I will monitor the gains or losses once it is broken in...

Old 12-20-2009, 10:21 AM
cakbomb
My Feedback: (1)

Bbuzzard, those tires look sick!! I plan on picking up a set real soon. What foams are you using with them? When the snow stops and gets packed down you should see how well some ice screws will work in those tires!! DDM has some that should work good in the hostile mx tires.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:09 PM
bbuzzard

ORIGINAL: cakbomb

Bbuzzard, those tires look sick!! I plan on picking up a set real soon. What foams are you using with them? When the snow stops and gets packed down you should see how well some ice screws will work in those tires!! DDM has some that should work good in the hostile mx tires.
Thanks...I have the hard foams in the rear and mediums up front. I can't wait for the snow to go away...pretty sloppy on the pack right now.
[img][/img]
Old 12-20-2009, 06:49 PM
niko64

buzzard are you runnin rear badlands on the front?and if so did you run them in back and which is better?i have badlands and really like them.and we got 2 FEET on the island.got a while to wait.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:00 PM
bbuzzard

ORIGINAL: niko64

buzzard are you runnin rear badlands on the front?and if so did you run them in back and which is better?i have badlands and really like them.and we got 2 FEET on the island.got a while to wait.
Yeah, I just wanted to see if it made a difference in the snow...which it didn't since it didn't shed the snow/ice well. I have the HPI
Dirt Buster Block tires that I will mount in place of the Badlands(using rears up front may work better with my Dune Runner 4x4...keep tuned)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.