Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

King Motors Baja Review with pictures

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

King Motors Baja Review with pictures

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 01:19 AM
rckiwi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: King Motors Baja Review with pictures

ORIGINAL: BigGrump

But really a rear dom or clone pipe will make it scream

If it will help the bottom end some, I will go to e bay right now and order the clone. Guess it will work on any engine that ends up in there.

Thanks,

Dennis
Yep they are designed for 23-27cc not as good on 29-30.5cc engines!
Old 04-02-2009, 05:08 AM
Bainbo

i had to modify the clone dom slightly when i fitted the gp290. it was a perfect fit with the km engine but with the cy gp290 the dom was hitting on the left rear shock and shock tower. wasn't that hard all i did was cut the dom at the first join 3/4 way thru from right to left side with an angle grinder bent the dom till the gap closed up and migged it back together.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:10 AM
Bainbo

will clarify that. the cut was from the clutch side to the pullstart side but only about 3/4 way thru
Old 04-02-2009, 07:44 AM
BigGrump

Well, for now the pipe will go on the KM engine. I went ahead and ordered the pipe on e bay last night.

I also have a Proline desert rat body on the way from tower hobbies and a set of Excavator tires mounted on desperado wheels.

The body that came with the baja is bueatiful (in my opinion) black set off with the chrome chassis, so I am going to paint the desert rat body a high gloss black, simply done with all black and no accents of any type. Only thing wrong with the stock body is it is a little thin and I am sure I will have it broken (cracked) in no time.

Looking forward to the pipe. Kind of hoping the KM engine holds up, but if not it will not bother me too much, just will have to pick up something else. What I like is enough torque to get the thing rolling without waiting, but more importantly is high rpm's for the sound and I like an engine that has a kick at the top end as compared to engines that pull hard at the bottom then fade away at the top.

So, whatever would fit the bill, I need advise. Last 23cc is OK or 26cc. I really don't want to go any bigger and always have drivetrain problems that arn't needed.

Thanks, Dennis
Old 04-02-2009, 08:20 AM
Obeast44

A buddy of mine is running a 29cc CY ported and polished from DDM on his KM. It was rated at 3.75hp before adding the KM rear Dominator, stock gearing and Hostile Nightmares MXs. He can pull wheelies when traction permits, and has yet to break anything in the driveline(besides the stock spur gear). I ran it like that for 6 months before I sold it to him and its still going strong.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:35 AM
mbe301

If it will help the bottom end some, I will go to e bay right now and order the clone. Guess it will work on any engine that ends up in there.

Thanks,

Dennis
Get a high response clutch spring also, the stock spring is really weak, engaging too soon and robbing the take-off power.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:27 PM
tim6389

ORIGINAL: rckiwi

Thanks,

Dennis

oh hummm why you say that? from what i read they say its works great on the 29-30.5 cc?
Old 04-02-2009, 02:56 PM
rckiwi

ORIGINAL: tim6389

Thanks,

Dennis

oh hummm why you say that? from what i read they say its works great on the 29-30.5 cc?

Because from my experience there are better pipes that work with larger cc engines Jetpro V3 and side DOM and the TGN snail pipe, it is all to do with the chamber sizes and design.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:17 PM
Killer9918

Hi I am new here.
I am not real good on telling if the plug looks ok are not.
so what do you guys think?
The Plug has got maybe 3 tanks ran on it.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:39 PM
rckiwi

Is not too bad a color but what oil are you using? is it std 2-stroke oil? as it does have alot of black carbon deposits
Old 04-02-2009, 04:13 PM
Killer9918

I am using Mobil 1 Racing 2T
Old 04-02-2009, 04:44 PM
rckiwi

then it seems to be running too rich if you are running at 25:1 ratio! are you using NGK CMR7H plug?
Old 04-02-2009, 04:51 PM
Killer9918

Yes I am using NGK CMR7H plug but my ratio is 32:1..but i guess rich is better then running it to lean
Old 04-02-2009, 05:11 PM
rckiwi

The color of the electrode is good, just a bit worried about the black carbon deposits around the edge, but that could be the picture? or could be your fuel is a lot different to what I use here in NZ, I use 98 octane unleaded.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:02 PM
Obeast44

Thanks,

Dennis

Because from my experience there are better pipes that work with larger cc engines Jetpro V3 and side DOM and the TGN snail pipe, it is all to do with the chamber sizes and design.
The Rear dominators, clone or not make great power in any rpm band and on any motor. The KM clone dominator outpowers the Jetpro V3, a Jetpro V4 Track pipe, TGN Xcan, and a GBE side bleed. Ive tried them all on the same 29cc CY. Another friend of mine runs a real DDM dominator on his 29cc cy and I cant tell a difference between the two as far as performance. It is by far the best bang for your buck exhaust option out there.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:28 PM
rckiwi

ORIGINAL: Obeast44

Thanks,

Dennis

The Rear dominators, clone or not make great power in any rpm band and on any motor. The KM clone dominator outpowers the Jetpro V3, a Jetpro V4 Track pipe, TGN Xcan, and a GBE side bleed. Ive tried them all on the same 29cc CY. Another friend of mine runs a real DDM dominator on his 29cc cy and I cant tell a difference between the two as far as performance. It is by far the best bang for your buck exhaust option out there.
This is only my opinion from my experiences with different pipes and motor configurations! each to there own how and where they drive or race! and yes the rear DOM pipe is by far best on the market for overall "Bang for a Buck"
Old 04-03-2009, 02:02 PM
retrorcguy

I have just placed an order for a KM Baja Elite (Chrome Chassis) from HeatHobby on eBay, i'm hoping all will go well with this transaction!!
The buggy cost £396 including shipping here to the UK. When you compare this price to around £850 for a HPI Baja 5B it's less than half price!
I've yet to receive the buggy but i'll try and keep everyone posted on the whole process from the ordering stage right through to running
the buggy....

Can't wait for it to arrive..... Come on USPS

Old 04-03-2009, 05:15 PM
retrorcguy

ORIGINAL: tntjz3

Hey, what "missing bearing" are you talking about?
Hi guys, I work as an engineer, the "missing bearing" that you are talking about is an industry standard bearing,
if the sizes you quote (12x24x6) are correct, then the standard bearing number is as follows:-

6901 (plain bearing with an open race)
6901-2RS (same bearing with 2 x rubber sheilds)
6901-ZZ (the same but with 2 x metal sheilds)

Example of a 6901 (open race / no sheilds)

you should be able to buy these from any decent engineering / bearing supplier a lot cheaper than
buying HPIs (branded) bearings from a model or hobby shop.
SKF are reputedly one of the best quality manufacturers of bearings.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:13 PM
19red66

Get your bearings here http://avidrc.com/ good bearings cheap.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:07 PM
tntjz3

I ended up getting the bearing from McMaster Carr, they are the company we get alot of our supplies from for our machine shop. The great thing is I receive everything the next day, as long as the order is placed by 4:00pm!
Old 04-03-2009, 07:13 PM
DUSTIN72

they are all correct, the best bang for youre buck is the clone tuned pipe. it sounds great and man does it deliver alot more power. also if you are adding the pipe get the 8000rpm spring or spend the 40.00 and get the whole clutch and install it backwards and it will rip right away, no clutch drag at all.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:59 PM
BigGrump

The pipe on E-Bay for the KM Baja looks quite a bit different than the one on Dustin72's baja above. The one shown in the picture on e bay has a hex end piece and also looks like the taper of the initial curve is of smaller diamenter. Hope this is just an update, and not a different one that will not work the same.

http://cgi.ebay.com/TUNED-PIPE-FOR-1...4.c0.m14.l1262

Dennis
Old 04-03-2009, 08:21 PM
tntjz3

The pipe on E-Bay for the KM Baja looks quite a bit different than the one on Dustin72's baja above. The one shown in the picture on e bay has a hex end piece and also looks like the taper of the initial curve is of smaller diamenter. Hope this is just an update, and not a different one that will not work the same.

http://cgi.ebay.com/TUNED-PIPE-FOR-1...4.c0.m14.l1262

Dennis
The one I ordered is just like Dustin72's. Works FANTASTIC! The one you show, I think, has replaced it? I bought mine in the begining of March, then after that I haven't seen them for sale.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:35 PM
tntjz3

I just looked on ebay, and if you search baja pipe, go down to the bottom of the page under international sellers, there is one there. It's located in Hong Kong. This is NOT where I got mine, but I guess they are still around.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:28 PM
BigGrump

Well, I ordered the one pictured last Wednesday and it should be at my house next Monday, so guess we will find out. Just hope they work the same. Perhaps it is an updated model that may provide a little more clearance for the left rear shock. Just guessing.

Denniis

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.