Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

FG pipe dilemma...

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 03:27 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default FG pipe dilemma...

As some of you may remember, I had plans for an RN Fat Power Monster S pipe, one of the strongest, if not the strongest pipe on the market for the FG cars. Well, that didn't work out too well, I waited 4 months for it, and then cancelled the order. So I am still without a tuned pipe for my FG.

Since I'm ordering a pipe for the Thunderbolt (the Carson Gas Devil pipe Hellya recommended in the Thunderbolt threads), I will also order one for the FG. The only place selling the Carson pipe that I can find is hobbythek (rc-car-online.de), so I will have to order from there.

The FG compatible pipes that they have are the regular FG ones described as 'reasonable' tuned pipes by FG themselves (not very confidence inspiring), the jetpro that curls round the entire car and exits the side, the other jetpro which curls round the engine and exits the rear, and the samba, which doesn't interest me at all.

So, the question is...is the 70E ($115) difference between the price of the FG pipes and the jetpro pipes worth it, and if so, which jetpro pipe is the better of the two mentioned? Noise is a consideration.

Any insight welcome guys, thanks.
Old 06-06-2008, 05:30 AM
dazzza1978

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: FG pipe dilemma...

I assume this is for your FG MB PRO.
I hope I am right, I have the Jetpro for my MB PRO, it is silenced and it fairly well hauls *****. Wheelies on command, awesome note, sounds like a beefy PEEWEE 50, all my mates love the sound of this thing.
I was running a reedkit with this and found it very difficult to control wothout having extremely good braking all round.
I got this one from Oneills Bros, it has burnt out a small portion of the rollcage, maybe 6mm of the right upright, nothing major, and did this with in the first few minutes.
Personally I really like the pipe, in the years I have had it, has barely copped a scratch, and trust me I give my MB PRO a flogging, I only just yesterday snapped hte raer spoiler from it popping too hard of a wheely.

The only change I have had to make, is that since I run the Elcon Drive Train, I had to fabricate my own suport for the pipe, as it does not bolt to the old gear carrier holes. Since this I have modified the side braces, but only very recently, I have found very little difference in running with and with out these braces.

Hope that helps ya FOXY!!!!!!
Old 06-06-2008, 06:20 AM
bajamaniac69

Hey Foxy.................

I have heard that the Jetpro that wraps around the motor over the electrics and through the side is good.... jetpro V2 silenced

Thats the one on mine...I have seen threads that say that it lacks bottom end ,but that also could have been due to gearing and motor tune..
Old 06-06-2008, 06:27 AM
jasrx

this is the jetpro v2 on my truck >

its a very good pipe , heaps of down low power and good top end .
im in the middle of converting the MT into a ST and iv just bolted up the jetpro ST pipe [ + other goodies]
ill take a pic tomorrow .
Old 06-06-2008, 06:48 AM
part-time
My Feedback: (1)

i ran the jp2 silenced b4 and its nice and quiet the fg is quiet also but for the xtra 20 bucks or so get the jp.
Old 06-06-2008, 06:56 AM
Foxy

Thanks guys, looks like I'll get a v2 then. Thanks Dazza, but the idea of fabricating my own mount puts me off a bit. I could do it, but why bother, if the other is less problematic. By the way, part time, the difference is over $100 for me, between the FG and the jetpro v2, but I think I'll still go for it. Thanks again guys.

If anyone has anything to add, please go ahead.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:10 AM
PBJT

Not exactly what you are talking about but I have some input. I ran my FG MT stock, and with a FG Tuned pipe for a long time, and now have a DDM Torque pipe ($100.00 off Fleebay)

FG tuned pipe was a great increase from stock, power is very constant with now large snap just a great overall increase.
DDM torque pipe snaps in very quick and very hard and pulls hard through out power ban.

I would never go back to a FG Tuned pipe now that I have a DDM torque pipe, so IMO skip over the fg pipe and get something better.

PBJT
Old 06-06-2008, 08:15 AM
Foxy

How loud are the unsilenced Dom pipes (by the way, the top end dominator interests me more than the torque, I already have traction problems where I run)?
Old 06-06-2008, 08:45 AM
PBJT

My unsilenced DDM is loud! I have been told that if I attach a few inches of rubber hose to the tip it will greatly reduce the noise. But were I run noise is not a concern. Also with the FG Tuned pipe I did not go through plastic 48 tooth gear unless I weakend it from pushing my upper control arm into it from a bad landing, but now with the DDM pipe I had to upgrade to a Cat5 steel system cause the torque would tear up the gear in a weekend.

PBJT
Old 06-06-2008, 08:54 AM
Foxy

I have a full steel drivetrain and the upgraded rear arms, amongst a large number of other alloy bits. Anyway, that's a shame about the noise.

Bottom line is I don't want to spend E200 on a jetpro ($300!! [X(]), so I'm probably going to get a FG 'reasonable' tuned pipe from my LHS, like I said, I don't need a crazy pipe really, and noise is definitely a consideration for me. No worries, I'm sure it will be fine for me, since I'm already happy with the performance of the stock can!!
Old 06-06-2008, 09:08 AM
Foxy

Screw it! I've decided. A shop in holland has a special on the top end dominator for E91 (about $140), which is pretty good. I'll order the add-on silencer from DDM (only 30 bucks), and that should leave me with just enough for the carson pipe from hobbythek for the thunderbolt.

How's that sound?
Old 06-06-2008, 05:07 PM
clubin

I like my Fg pipe, no complaints, mind you I have nothing to compare it to. It is well protected and relatively quiet. I would sure like to try a RN pipe, but it doesn't look like that is going to happen.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:06 PM
jasrx

hers a short idling vid of my old v2 pipe and the st pipe .
http://www.justrotors.com/media/mt_to_st.wmv
right click and save target as
Old 06-08-2008, 11:23 AM
thesharkfactor

why not the SAMBA?

i had one on my beetle/baja..superb!..LOVELY noise, just like a go-kart, it's well protected, requires no cutting of a beetle shell/tub, and much less of the marder shell than the FG DDM or jetpro pipes.

i switched the stock can for a SAMBA on my off road beetle, it was the only pipe that would fit with a out destroying the beetle shell. what a difference! heeps of tyres shredding power and torque throughout the rev range..i remember being delighted with the result!

if its bling your after, you can get a chrome one for a few quid more...but you can easily polish the less expensive teflon coated one to a mirror shine. (took me 40 mins)

Old 06-13-2008, 11:30 AM
Foxy

Well, the DDM pipe was ordered from pitstop in the netherlands last sunday, due it surprisingly being cheaper there (on special offer) than anywhere else in the world, I believe, at E91.

So anyway, as a result of that, I also ordered a silencer from DDM along with a few other things, which all arrived today. I took the silencer out of the packaging and after a few seconds noticed it had been really deeply gouged at the stinger tip (see pics attached). I contacted DDM and got a reply to my email in about an hour! [X(] Brad agreed with my assertion that it happened before the polishing stage, so must be a manufacturing defect, and kindly offered me a replacement or a gift certificate for half the cost the silencer. Nice service I have to say, as I would not have considered it a worthwhile enough issue to have sent the silencer back, so the gift certificate was a nice gesture, which I gratefully accepted. Thanks Brad and DDM.

Now I have to wait another week for an order placed on the same day, to arrive from a european country that is 5000 miles closer, and has the actual pipe in it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk24928.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	969813   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc93939.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	969814   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx62522.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	969815  
Old 06-14-2008, 08:50 AM
TheFgMan01

Yeah, DDM pipe is very loud, kids down the street will walk up to me and tell me they thought i was running a pocket rocket or 2 stroke dirt bike.. But there shocked when they see whats really making that noise lol ) It's music to my ears so my marder and hummer have the top end pipes. They perform great!! Better then my Samba i had on my Marder and thats a race pipe design for smooth power. Samba was quiet. I cant speak on the JP i never owned one yet.