Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Trying to pick a FG

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 01:25 PM
Kitsune
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to pick a FG

I'm planning on getting a gas off-roader in the near future, and it looks like FG makes the best stuff out there. I have it narrowed down to that, so now I want to find best one under those conditions. I'm leaning more towards a buggy than a monster truck because of the better handling, but I'm still kind of confused about the different chassis for those models.
Also, when the time comes, what's a good place to buy from?
Old 06-08-2008, 01:48 PM
bajamaniac69

Default RE: Trying to pick a FG

hey....... there are several types of trucks...fg.smartech,firehammer.baja 5b...just pick one in your budget to start........go from there..,there will mods needed for all.......good luck!
Old 06-08-2008, 01:57 PM
part-time
My Feedback: (1)

even with the week dollar the cheapest places are in europe. i have ordered cars cars from pitstop tuning center and krikke racing. that said if u are leaning toward a buggy the hpi baja handles a lot better than the fg buggy models. if u buy an fg there are some must have hop-ups unless u dont mind fixing things. the aluminum motor mounts aluminum spur gear carrier and diff. the diff is not a must have right off the bat but u will break the stock plastic on after time and the gears will be tore up when it brakes. so then u will have to spend an xtra $60 or so to replace them.
Old 06-08-2008, 02:53 PM
N3il.h

HI Kitsune

Iv owned a FG Baja since last november and I too have read all about the must have upgrades.....and up till now I havent needed any of them Iv been threw a couple of spur gears but at the price they cost im happy to replace them...plus its the week part of the driving chain and im happy with that (cheap and easily accessible).
Old 06-08-2008, 03:27 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FGs definitely require the least initial hop ups, and also have great engines. All the monsters have the same chassis, and the Marder/Leopard and Baja have slightly different chassis, but the differences are very small. Mostly it's just gearing, number of shocks and different wheels which separate all the FG models.

Pitstop-shop.nl or rc-car-online.com in europe, and fguniverse.com and bigboystoysandhobbies.com in the US.
Old 06-08-2008, 04:01 PM
PBJT

I also own 2 FG, a MT and a Marder. I bash every weekend and the marder has NO hop-ups other then a tuned pipe and out runs bajas all the time. My FG MT does now have alloy mtr mounts and a DDM pipe with Cat5 gears. The reason for upgrades is because of the increased power. Any machine requires upgrades because of increased power the FGs certianly can bash hard bone stock, I know I own them. And Yes I also own a fully functioning HPI Baja 5b, when I go out bashing I don't even bring it anymore.

The marder is lower to the ground and slower, accellerates and corners harder then the MT because of its size and more agressive tires in the sand/dirt. The MT has size and more bashing abilities because of it. I would hate to have to choose between them, cause they are both fun and both so different.

PBJT
Old 06-08-2008, 04:17 PM
Kitsune

ORIGINAL: N3il.h

HI Kitsune

Iv owned a FG Baja since last november and I too have read all about the must have upgrades.....and up till now I havent needed any of them Iv been threw a couple of spur gears but at the price they cost im happy to replace them...plus its the week part of the driving chain and im happy with that (cheap and easily accessible).
Yeah, I was starting to lean towards the Baja (mostly because of the looks). Like you say the spur gear isn't too major of an issue if that's the only weakness. Is it because it's unshielded from debris, or just the power being put to it?
Thanks for input!
Old 06-08-2008, 07:47 PM
Kitsune

ORIGINAL: PBJT

I also own 2 FG, a MT and a Marder. I bash every weekend and the marder has NO hop-ups other then a tuned pipe and out runs bajas all the time. My FG MT does now have alloy mtr mounts and a DDM pipe with Cat5 gears. The reason for upgrades is because of the increased power. Any machine requires upgrades because of increased power the FGs certianly can bash hard bone stock, I know I own them. And Yes I also own a fully functioning HPI Baja 5b, when I go out bashing I don't even bring it anymore.

The marder is lower to the ground and slower, accellerates and corners harder then the MT because of its size and more agressive tires in the sand/dirt. The MT has size and more bashing abilities because of it. I would hate to have to choose between them, cause they are both fun and both so different.

PBJT
Sounds like win-win situation on either of those models.
Thanks for feedback, I appreciate it!
Old 06-08-2008, 11:48 PM
TIM MT

All 3 of mine are pretty much stock with FG tuned pipes on the MT and Marder. I would not hesitate to buy/build any one of them again but I prefer my Jeep (MT) for all around fun. Never driven the FG Baja but with all of the macines I run with I do not regret my choice to spend more on the FGs. Bought one new, rebuilt one crashed from ebay and built one from parts. It helps to have a brother helping me learn tho...
Old 06-09-2008, 12:24 PM
Kitsune

I still am keeping the MT on the list of possibilities for the moment.
Thanks for info!
Old 06-09-2008, 04:44 PM
jasrx

i found my MT was very easy to roll at even low speeds , so im changing my MT into a ST [ should have the wheels here today] in the hope of it not rolling as much and it will look heaps better .
Old 06-09-2008, 05:22 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Guess you've seen this?? Just in case... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQHW2SPGb-U

That's a BOX STOCK FG Monster Hummer. It is now a Monster Beetle though. The Hummer body looks great, but is about as practical as a solar powered flashlight. The MB body is almost a self righter, due to it's egg shape. Very difficult to end up on the roof.

All the FG cars are good, you'll be happy whatever you go for, and even if you feel you made a mistake down the line, there are conversion kits available for most versions to change to another.