Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

LST shocks mounted on FG Hummer

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 03:51 PM
TheFgMan01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LST shocks mounted on FG Hummer

Hi guy's it's me Karl, Got my LST Losi shocks mounted on the truck.. Bad news is it's only the front for now reason being i had to get a battery pack for the Marder. I know it's ghetto but the rears are coming soon )

K this is how i got them mounted on to this monster.. Sorry for the dirty truck and pics may not be the best but bare with me on this one.. Im not the first one to run these shock on an FG and im sure all may not now how to mount these.. it's simple! Here's the shocks i purchased which set me back 36.00 buck pre-assembled.

part number just incase!

Also fella you will be needing the Losi mounting kit which only ran 7.99, came with shims and all other goodied.. but you'll have to purchase 2 set's because only two comes in the kit and 4 of the's mounting bushings are needed if your mounting 4 shocks ofcoarse.....unlike me at the time lol..

The endcap bushing is the part far to the right that i am talking about, Also you'll need to drill out the center of the bushing for correct fitment to the top of the shock tower.. here's what i mean

Notice how i screwed that mounting screw for the shock all the way back, you'll need to or there wont be enough room for mothing these huge shock.

this next pic shows how i had to remove the endcap from the bottom of the FG shocks and screw them on the bottom of the Losi shocks and its a direct fit to the bottom control arms

Here's how i have the top mounted when i slightly drilled out that bushing. oh yeah find a washer that fit's alittle better, i was working with what i had at the moment but it dosent look to crazy )

thats pretty much all i had to do to get them on... Heres pics of the room between the arms.... It's tight!! but theres not contact between the two parts so we're all good here! )

See looks alittle better what do you think?

Thats all it is guy's ... if anyone was ever thinking about the swap i'd go for it... I'd get a stiff spring though because the standerd set-up is alittle too soft... but it feels great!!
this is my first time explaing a FAQ on here so i hope i wasent to confusing.. Give it a try )

Old 06-21-2008, 04:59 PM
Lunar Wolf
Banned

Default RE: LST shocks mounted on FG Hummer

I don't think their going to be up to task, the shafts are only 4mm and have a habit of breaking off at the threads on the LST which is less the half the weight of a largescale, long term I just can't see them lasting on your truck, maybe if you were mounting two units per suspension arm.
Old 06-21-2008, 05:00 PM
DeadLock

Good write up..

How does it run?
Looks like its quite tight between the shock and the suspension arm. Does it rub when running hard?

-Thomas-
Old 06-21-2008, 05:33 PM
TheFgMan01

No theres no rubbing at all!! I havent ran it yet but ill let you guy's know how it handles when i get the two on the rear.

Hey also they do hold up, the shafs are actually the same diameter as the FG shock shafts
Old 06-21-2008, 05:38 PM
Lunar Wolf
Banned

Although the dia may be the same the steel grade may not be, i've just not had good experences with Losi LST shafts on 1/8th nitro but its possible i might have been a bit too hardcore on mine - good luck with them all the same.
Old 06-22-2008, 08:38 PM
ProRCRacer88

Let us know how they hold up to bashing/racing FGMan. I see your in Va not too far from me, where do you run your 1/5ths? I going to be getting one hopefully by the end of august and besides the BMX track in church hill, was wondering if theres any other good places to run them.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:48 AM
kengentry5000
My Feedback: (2)

Good write-up.

Do the LST shocks leak? I would love to toss my stock Firehammer shocks because they leak badly.

I've considered going with the alloy FG shocks but don't know if they are worth the price. Also haven't heard if the alloy FG shocks leak.

Let us know how it runs.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:31 PM
TheFgMan01

I run in my back yard actually.. but im not afraid to hit up a local park sometime while i go fishing which im sure other fishermen hate the noise but who cares.. No these shocks seem like they are good quality and they dont leak.. they just need a spring that is a bit stiff then the stock sillver spring..Someone one here had LST shock with a Dodge ram shell and his spring were yellow. ill have to find out where he got them so i can let you guys know )
Old 06-23-2008, 10:23 PM
ProRCRacer88

guess you dont have a back yard then, those things rip the ground up soon as you get down on the throttle. Had no idea you could even run nitros in the park, i have to try that maybe sometime.
Old 06-25-2008, 01:34 AM
kramr5

Interesting write-up[8D]

I just want to add as an owner of an LST2, I think the shocks are the best part of the truck..... they don't leak, they don't break!

I bought an extra set of shocks off fleabay and so far they've just gathered dust in my pit box.

BTW, Losi sells stiffer springs if needed. good luck
Old 06-25-2008, 08:37 PM
TheFgMan01

^^ Thank you'll ill be going after some, especially when i get a pair on the rear
Old 06-26-2008, 02:39 AM
jasrx

very intresting , im tempted to buy some . id buy theese > http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/5868

and build my own shocks with all the good bits .....
what size is the lst2 shock pistons [ cant find them ]
Old 06-26-2008, 03:27 AM
jasrx

anyone know the size of the shock shaft nut that holds the piston on the lst2 shafts? only thing i cant find now
Old 06-27-2008, 11:53 AM
TheFgMan01

^^ I have no idea my friend, someone on here with a LST manual will chim in.. I have some other issues to work out on mine and ill get some on the rear and see about some stiffer springs.. I do like those yellow ones [8D]
Old 06-27-2008, 04:25 PM
jasrx

i found out the 5-40 size i might order my parts for the new shocks next week ..
Old 06-27-2008, 09:09 PM
TheFgMan01

Hey be carefully of fitment, i just took a look at your thread about the hydros and i noticed your upper c-arms are stock. your c-arms have those bracing in the middle... look how mine are wide open like a hore shoe. mine are crazy nut racing arms.. Maybe you could saw the bracing away other wise i see a hard time fitting the LST2 shocks.. I wanted to point that out for you dude