Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

MCD Drift Viper Update...

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 12:30 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default MCD Drift Viper Update...

Just a couple more shots, now with some decals. The side badges are home printed and literally stuck on just to see. I will get proper transparent decals when the time comes. Lights for a full light bar have also now been sourced, so work is progressing. A sick cool drifting chase vid is on the cards for soonish. Mid-august depending on wallet and parts availability, I reckon.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84557.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	995512   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez81305.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	995513   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk16236.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	995514   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gz76159.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	995515   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ny27711.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	995516   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qh66848.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	995517  
Old 07-22-2008, 12:31 PM
wan6176

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: MCD Drift Viper Update...

wow new car again?
Old 07-22-2008, 12:35 PM
Foxy

I bought two on-road MCDs about a month ago, that Viper is one of them (I painted and adapted the FG Viper body). Here is the other wearing it's stock Mitsubishi Evo 7 body, and a pic of both naked...

Name:	Da83402.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	995518   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aw70515.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	995519  
Old 07-22-2008, 01:11 PM
frumpy

Look great with those few temp decals and the detailed rear lights,can't wait to see it with a lightbar functional or not
Old 07-22-2008, 01:41 PM
dsales

Thats so cool [8D] How fast do you reckon it goes?
Old 07-22-2008, 02:39 PM
Foxy

I reckon about 40mph, but I can easily gear it for 50 with the stock gears.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:24 PM
Nathan9492

wow man thats sick!!!
sorry i didnt get ur message sooner, i had to goto tafe, and well went to bed early.

Good luck with the build mate.

Nath
Old 07-23-2008, 06:09 AM
2 deep

Hi foxy, what is your best pipe out of the two and which is better all around??, i realy want to get a new pipe and you have the two best ones on the market
Old 07-23-2008, 06:29 AM
Foxy

Hell, I dunno... They're both great pipes.

Seems to me like the TOPSA has it on the bottom end, and the samba race on the top end... but that may not turn out to be the case, it's hard to tell, cos the race pipe is on a brand new Zen 26, the TOPSA is on a Zen 26 that has seen a couple of gallons.

Samba race pipe.

Pros...
Reasonably quiet, no chassis cutting for exhaust exit, great top end, looks good.
Cons...
Heavier, not so strong on the bottom, pullstarter handle is starting to show signs of melting, takes up a lot of space

TOPSA pipe

Pros...
Lightweight, strong bottom end, isn't in the way so much (doesn't melt pullstarter handle)
Cons...
Mounting is a bit of an afterthought, cut hole in side guards to exit gases, doesn't sound so good, doesn't look so good

I think if you said I had to choose one, I'd take the Samba race pipe. For the sound and silencer alone.

By mid august I should have videos of both running together.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:56 PM
2 deep

Hi foxy, i took your advise and bought a MCD samba race pipe today. I think i will have to do somthing about the heat from the pipe affecting the pull start. Thanks
Old 07-23-2008, 01:03 PM
looker2756

That car looks Sweet !! Can't wait to see it with all your custom decals on it ! I had considered doing this same thing with a Viper body. Being as I spent about 15 years working for Chrysler as a Technician. The Viper has always been one of my favorites. I might just have to get me one of those bodys, it looks very cool on the MCD. Can't wait for some good videos of it in action.
Old 07-23-2008, 04:15 PM
Foxy

Yeh, it's a nice body. I was just looking at those pics again, and it occurred to me. The pics don't do the width justice. It's a REALLY wide body. Check this out...

Name:	Mk26235.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	996309  
Old 07-23-2008, 04:16 PM
DarkFire989

Nice Viper. That body is really big. Is that a 3PK?
Old 07-23-2008, 04:18 PM
Foxy

Yeh, 3pk with spek pro module.
Old 07-23-2008, 06:34 PM
clubin

Very nice FOXY what is it like owning 2 MCD's?
Old 07-23-2008, 06:58 PM
Xtfreak

I already know the answer to the question
Old 07-23-2008, 07:29 PM
kidd

how do you carry it?
Old 07-23-2008, 07:48 PM
Xtfreak

how do you carry it?
By picking it up I would think
Old 07-24-2008, 03:47 AM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: clubin

I don't know how to answer that. I like them, but I am also disappointed with them. Thank god I didn't pay $1500 for them, or I'd be positively incensed. Now that I have 2, I believe even more that the price of the rollers is daylight robbery. I won't get into it now though, I'm thinking of doing a full review of the rally. Basically for the money you would expect more features (like steel gears) and less problems (like standard offset wheel fitment and a working fuel system).

They're good, there's no doubt about it, but you'd have to think really carefully before buying a Racerunner for example, with all the other better featured 4wd buggies in the market for half the price. I mean look at the one that is the same price... The Hurrax Krypton. It's in a totally different league. ALL alloy WITH an engine, compared to the RR which is ALL plastic, and NO engine.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:41 AM
PAPE

ORIGINAL: Foxy

ORIGINAL: clubin

I don't know how to answer that. I like them, but I am also disappointed with them. Thank god I didn't pay $1500 for them, or I'd be positively incensed. Now that I have 2, I believe even more that the price of the rollers is daylight robbery. I won't get into it now though, I'm thinking of doing a full review of the rally. Basically for the money you would expect more features (like steel gears) and less problems (like standard offset wheel fitment and a working fuel system).

They're good, there's no doubt about it, but you'd have to think really carefully before buying a Racerunner for example, with all the other better featured 4wd buggies in the market for half the price. I mean look at the one that is the same price... The Hurrax Krypton. It's in a totally different league. ALL alloy WITH an engine, compared to the RR which is ALL plastic, and NO engine.
Thannks for your honesty

It seams like whenever I pick up an RC magazine or read the latest review online, everything is good about any model be it plane car truck boat. You never read any bad stuff, and even if there is... it like " The MCD is a great value for what you pay, you must admire the size and quality, and yes the plastic gear hold up, to anything you through at them."

I am gladd I dint spend my money on a $1500 rolling chassis, insted I opted to build a twin nitro powered Ofna DM-1 pro. Yes I still love my nitros just as much as gas cars and trucks.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:59 AM
Foxy

It just goes to show that MCD is milking the 4wd market, due to the lack of competition. But that is now changing.

Sure, the plastic gears do hold up, but that doesn't mean I don't want steel ones, nor feel the price justifies inclusion of them. Take the Smartech Thunderbolt for example, I use this example because it's another car that I own, and can therefore speak from experience. The design is just as good as the racerunner, if not better. The materials on the Smartech are much better (lots of alloy stock), the shocks are much better (more travel and larger bore), the drivetrain is all steel, including helical gears at the same places that the MCD has them. FG style bevelled planetary diffs (in the TB) are stronger than the strange MCD design, and neither hold oil as stock. The 1/8th buggy layout of the TB is more suited to buggy maintenance than the one shape fits all MCD design, and what's more, it's $400 cheaper with a radio, servos and an engine. Even if you discard the engine and the steering servo and fit a Zenoah and a Multiplex, you're still money up and you haven't even put an engine in your RR yet. That's not to mention the even cheaper Redcat, which looks like a fine vehicle, and the previously mentioned hurrax which offers a TON more for the same price. The Racerunner is lost in the market at the moment.

The Baja 1000 and the Rally still have their place reserved, as there is no other 4x4 trophy truck that looks so cool, but how long will that last, when Hurrax comes out with their truggy, or smartech's truggy gets an Asgard body, or people start putting FG wheels and an Asgard body on their redcat MTs? The Monster is now competing with Redcat at a cost difference of $600, again the $600 cheaper car is including engine radio and (bad) servos. The MCD incudes... Nothing. I bet you could buy every hop up for the Redcat MT and a Zen engine and good servos for the price of the MCD roller if you shopped carefully.

The Rally is currently safe, as the only 4wd touring car on the market, barring its clones, and therefore, in terms of supply and demand, MCD can just about justify overcharging for it. I now have a full set of alloy for the proline, and will be making one car with the best of everything on it... Imagine if I had bought it new... Lets break it down...

Car - $1500
Zenoah G260RC - $300
Samba race pipe - I dunno... $250??
Multiplex rhino servo - $100 (And I only put ONE on steering, some will want to put TWO!)
Hitec 5745 throttle servo - $80
Spektrum rx - $80
Alloy gear plate/engine mount $300
Alloy radio tray $40
Alloy 3 piece diff holders - $90
Alloy diff cover plate - $20
Alloy radio plate supports (required for radio plate and sold separately) - $17
Steel gears - $75
Good battery - $40
Fuel system fix and throttle linkage fix... lets say $50

Let's total that up... the best part of $3000 not including tax. I could get a 4wd FG comp WITH a Zenoah Engine and multiplex electronics for that, or a Hurrax Krypton, fully RTR with the best electrics available, and have nearly $1000 spare.

Don't misunderstand, MCD is doing what any company would do. Charging what the market can bear. The question is how long will the market bear it? The MCDs are great cars, just at the wrong price point for what's included.

I hope I don't piss MCD owners off by saying this, after all I am one myself, I fail to see how anyone could possibly see it differently.