Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

got the hurricane c5

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 06:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default got the hurricane c5

well i got the hurricane c5.4x4 rocks, i love it!!! here are some pictures.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61816.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	999647   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xf11550.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	999648   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot47700.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	999649   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jc85979.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	999650   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qb36477.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	999651   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gx31800.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	999652  
Old 07-28-2008, 07:01 PM

Default RE: got the hurricane c5

Looks good, I know I like my Titan. I have to say I definitely like the looks of the Asgard body more than the truck body though.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:33 PM

Yes the asgard body gives it a great look, but if you give it a wing, you got yourself a 1/5 truggy!!!
I got my asgard body from www.vsmodelsport.com... They have so many upgrades there with great deal for all Hurricanes, FGs and Titans.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:49 PM

I too have the hurricane C5 and love it. I just ate up a couple of FG's and Baja's two weeks ago. This thing handles great and is a monster. Here are some tips I posted previously that may help:

1. Center Diff mod............... I stripped my diffs, cleaned and reshimmed them and sealed the cases with shoe goo. I did this by placing a small amount around the top of the diff cover before seating it and then after seating it I placed a small bead around the bottom before replacing the ring gear. After curing for 24 hour I removed the top drive cup and proceeded to fill it completely with Ofna 120,000 diff fluid which is the thickest I could find. It took some time to fill and I had to replace the drive cup periodicly to and spin the diff to remove the air bubbles. After putting the truck back together all I can say is HOLY CRAP!!!! it made a would of difference. This thing now moves like a bat of of hell!. The was minimal loading to the front wheels and my hurricane was giving my brothers Losi 8ight truggy a serious run for it money on a flat track. I ran it for approx 3 hours off and on and have not noticed a single leak. For anyone with a Thunderbolt/Titan/Hurricane this is a inexpensive fix that is incredible it cost me $6.99 for the diff fluid and $3.99 for the Shoe Goo.

2. Shock fluid.....In my Hurricane the stock shock fluid is like water and does not do much to dampen the hits. I did not have and of the FG shock fluid and noe was available locally so what do I do? I did what any good Hobbyist does, I went rummaging around my work shop :-) Lo and behld I found various viscosity of diff fluild for my 1/8 scale which is MUCH thick than shock fluid. After some trial and error I discover that 3000 in the front and 2000 in the rear makes this truck handle like a champ. It absorbs the bumps like it should and comes out of the turns faster than before. The heavier fluid in the front helps to kick the front up in jumps and it flies pretty even through the air. This diff fluid is available in most hobby shops that have 1/8 scale cars and is easier and cheaper to get than the FG equivalent. You will need about two bottles of each weight. There will be some left over but then there always is.

I hope these tips help someone and if you try it I think you will be pleased with the results.
Tone
Old 07-28-2008, 08:34 PM

Nice Hurricane!

I just setup my Titan over the past week and am working through some things.

Only gripe is that the car has a wide turning radius, because of it's wide stance. I don't have a lot of confidence driving it yet, but the short time I did have it out I had no problem running over high offroad terrain and flying over some 2' jumps. Fly's pretty good.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:10 PM

Any videos?
Old 07-28-2008, 11:30 PM

It's good to hear your happy with it! Thats' like music to my ears!
Old 07-28-2008, 11:39 PM

Thanks for the tips.. I will definitely apply then to my hurricane. I am so surprised at the way it handles.
I can’t believe at how it turns on a dine, to me it feels like a 1/8 truggy only it’s a 1/5 scale!!!
Old 07-28-2008, 11:54 PM

Go out there and have fun... Its a 4x4 it handles much better than a 2wd. I have a fg monster beetle pro, and no way can you compare the handeling, dont get me wrong I love my beetle, but the hurricane with its 4wd it grips and goes. You need to go out there and take it for more jumps 2 jumps is not enough. =)
Old 07-29-2008, 12:00 AM

No videos for now.I will hopefully have some by the weekend.
believe me i want to go out there and have fun.....
Old 07-29-2008, 12:11 AM

Thanks AngelShark!! If your happy, just think how I feel.... Im even happier. Once again thanks for all your support. See you at the track..

P.S... bring your "A" game...LOL
Old 07-29-2008, 07:18 AM

ORIGINAL: migurami23

No videos for now.I will hopefully have some by the weekend.
believe me i want to go out there and have fun.....
Can't wait to see the video
Old 07-29-2008, 07:22 AM

Thanks for the tips.. I will definitely apply then to my hurricane. I am so surprised at the way it handles.
I can’t believe at how it turns on a dine, to me it feels like a 1/8 truggy only it’s a 1/5 scale!!!
Good to hear " it feels like a 1/8 truggy"
This tire will make you feel more like a 1/8 truggy.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27054.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	999962  
Old 07-29-2008, 10:48 AM

I like the new tires.When are they going to be available?
Old 07-29-2008, 11:47 AM

Available now.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:20 PM

Great!!I will have to get me some.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:04 PM

Found a fix to the drive shaft from popping out for the Smartech Titan. Shim the outdrive shafts of the front diff. Used a copper bushing, but a bearing would work. Works better than putting springs or o-rings to tack up slack. Experimented with putting springs and it didn't help it just ends up pushing the drive shaft on one end and eventually would pop out.

I tried silicone diff oil. 5000wt oil in the rear diff, 1000wt in the front diff, silly putty in the center diff.

Unfortunately the diffs halfs are plastic so they don't seal, (used some shoo goo) to seal the diff. After a thrash session about 40mins long, the front and rear diffs feel very loose, so either the fluid had leaked out or it fluid had broken down. I plan to rebuild the diffs and fill them up with some auto grease instead.

I'll report back if it improves.

added some pics of the truck took yesterday.

Old 07-31-2008, 11:02 AM

Thanks for the tip. Well so far so good for me I have not had any issues on my hurricane c5.No dog bones popping out or the diff oil issue. I believe that with the hurricane c5 many of the issues have bin corrected. Once again thanks for all the information. So tell me what’s the feeling like when you smoke the Baja 5b lol. Nice truck and Baja. The wing on your truck is it from the Baja 5b? I see that it has an hpi sticker. And please keep us posted on your improvements.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:31 PM

That's good to hear no issues. The Hurricane has improvement over the Titan that's for sure.

I haven't smoked any Baja's they have smoked me. I ran with some them a couple days ago. Motor was not tuned, was just breaking in the motor. A lot of Baja SS or modded Baja's running.

I did some breif motor tuning today, and discoveredt the 2 set screws holding spur gear had backed out. So check this on your truck, also check the set screws on the outdrives from the differentials, I had my rear one loosen on me. This is all before 1 tank!

Another tip, route the servo line from the steering away from the driveline. From stock the wires are run in the center, run it around the radio box instead.

Yeah the wing on the truck is from a Baja 5b, it's just for jokes, I put a tiny HPI sticker on it.

Here's a video from the runs with the Baja.

http://www.vimeo.com/1439682

Thanks for the tip. Well so far so good for me I have not had any issues on my hurricane c5.No dog bones popping out or the diff oil issue. I believe that with the hurricane c5 many of the issues have bin corrected. Once again thanks for all the information. So tell me what’s the feeling like when you smoke the Baja 5b lol. Nice truck and Baja. The wing on your truck is it from the Baja 5b? I see that it has an hpi sticker. And please keep us posted on your improvements.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:02 AM

NICE VIDEO.
Old 08-01-2008, 01:36 PM

Yes the hurricane has improved; I think one of the best upgrades is the Zenoah g230.
And I can see why they smoked you, that’s not a race track. It sucks that your truck is not holding up. And you’re having problems with it. fix your truck, Tune your truck, get a tune pipe, and invite all your friends with Baja ss or all modded and take then to a 1/5 scale off road track and they will only see the back of your truck. Believe me I have seen it with my own eyes. I have to tell you I really like the tip of routing the servo line from the driveline around the radio box, thanks!!!!
e-mail or call angelshark from vsmodelsport.com for part or upgrades for your titan he will hook it up.
Old 08-01-2008, 06:36 PM

Most definately the universals and the Zenoah G230 are definately worth upgrades of the Hurricane over the Titan. The dogbones and the motor are the weakest point of the truck.

I've also been fixing the pullstarter on my stock 28cc motor. Found out the HPI Fuelie or the Zenoah pullstart is NOT compatible! The 28cc motor pullstart housing is smaller.

I took apart the pullstarter today, figured out how it worked, and straightened some washers out. I think the plastic claws that grip the flywheel are of low quality, and it looks like they have almost sheared off. I use a outerwears cover on the pullstarter as well, so not like a rock went in to chew up the plastic claw

Until I can run my truck reliably for about 2-3 tanks, I won't be getting any go fast upgrades. But when I do, I'll be looking for a pipe.

Old 08-02-2008, 03:52 AM

Any video for the race?
Old 08-02-2008, 05:35 AM

So is the Titan in the video totally stock..??? It looks great to me...
Old 08-03-2008, 10:02 PM

I have tuned the 28cc motor with the stock muffler and it's a little better but it's very slow and it has no top-end.

I can now confidently bash the truck.

Man but within 2 tanks almost everything shook loose from this truck. RTR quality is not good. I had to re-locktite, front king pins, spur gear, front and rear aluminum center mount, steering links, shock mounts.

If you can contain your excitement when the package arrives I would recommend a rebuild of the entire truck.

I'm going to look into higher torque servo, the included Smartech servo and now using a Hitec 5745 is not up to the task. Will try JR 8711 next.

Anyone know if there are faster gearing options available?

Or recommend a good tuned pipe?

Tried mounting a DDM Dominator Side mount pipe and it doesn't fit. So don't bother trying unless you want to fabricate your own rear shock tower.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.