Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

Anyone who have the hpi baja 5b please read !!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Anyone who have the hpi baja 5b please read !!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 10:52 AM
kevin_kaya

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone who have the hpi baja 5b please read !!!

Ok, I recently had a kyosho inferno gt which I sold after trying to get it to work when it just wouldent.

I talked to foxy42 on msn and he said that large scale cars are a lot easier, and that the hpi baja 5b is the best for a reasnoable price.

So, I am thinking of getting it now but, is it really that simple ?

I read some comments on youtube and some people seem to have problems with it, so im unsure now whether to buy it..

So please help me decide and tell me anything I should know,

thanks
Old 08-16-2008, 11:09 AM
part-time
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Anyone who have the hpi baja 5b please read !!!

there is not really any issues with the baja. the reason some people have starting problems is they flood it. starting is quite simple pull it out of the box charge batteries mix oil and gas fill tank prime it choke it pull no more than twice open choke and the pull a couple of times. u dont need to mess with the needles to get it started if u dont flood it a new motor should start right up. u can lean it out later. they are a great buy for the cost. i u beat the crap out of it things will break. hpi is also great about warranty issues.
Old 08-16-2008, 11:27 AM
TurtleRacing

The Baja is about as easy as any RC hobby can get. Any and every RC has problems, but it's a hobby, you work through it and have fun learning. The Baja makes it relatively easy.
Old 08-16-2008, 12:47 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess it's pointless me posting, since you already know what I told you.

I still haven't spoken to the guy I gave your Inferno too, but I understand he's very happy. Get a Baja, you won't regret it.
Old 08-16-2008, 01:07 PM
Monsterman--HBF
My Feedback: (28)

If you can cut your grass, run a weed eater or chainsaw the Baja will be just fine for you.. If you cant use any of those tools then stay away
Old 08-16-2008, 01:37 PM
kevin_kaya

hmm... ok then

the only thing stopping me now then is money..

£600/$1100 is a lot [&:]

Whats the baja like for on road drifting and on surfaces like rubble and grass ?
Old 08-16-2008, 02:02 PM
looker2756

I wouldn't say it's a drifter, but it is very good on-road as well. Most good drifters are 4x4 models. They have on-road tires available from HPI. The sway bars of the SS help quite a bit if racing on-road. Hostile also sells great tires for pretty much any surface you would run on. Off-road these things are Incredible !! The 5b is an awesome vehicle, you won't regret getting one. With over 30 miunte run times, you'll find that you spend more time enjoying R/C's, than fueling & working on them.
Old 08-16-2008, 06:51 PM
splcrazy

and proberly most of them people when they first ever got their hands on their baja including me , the problems were caused by no understanding of how to use the damn CHOKE lol , i was pulling the cord like a mad man cos i had no clue what position the choke lever was in , but after you got used to how it was ment to be done i started it in less then three pulls , but i now have the 813 carb without the choke , when starting you just got to press the trigger on the transmitter a couple times press the bulb and pull the cord and same thing it starts in about three pulls
Old 08-17-2008, 12:40 AM
Mr Terminator

I've recently just got a Baja SS and they really are all that,I can't stress how much easier it is than nitro and i've ran nitro for 20yrs and raced nitro boats,I still love my nitro models but this is in a different league mate.Go for it,even if you get one secondhand off ebay,the money you save on fuel costs and the ease of use is worth it alone and to be honest,there's not that much in the price of spares and upgrades really,the tyres for instance are no more expensive than a 1/8 buggys are,engine components are cheaper too.For £589 its worth the extra initial outlay,I wish i'd done it earlier as its sparked off a new found interest into the hobby.....
Old 08-17-2008, 04:32 PM
kevin_kaya

Its my birthday coming up so I might ask for one then, but I dunno, its a lot of money [&:]
Old 08-17-2008, 09:11 PM
T I G

You should be able to find one for a lot less than $1100.
Old 08-17-2008, 09:16 PM
hndaman1
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: TurtleRacing

The Baja is about as easy as any RC hobby can get. Any and every RC has problems, but it's a hobby, you work through it and have fun learning. The Baja makes it relatively easy.

I cannot agree with more with this statement+1 to that......But the main point is to HAVE FUN....
Old 08-21-2008, 12:53 AM
mopar jake

buy one and beat the hell out of it it will take a week to get the grin off of your face after you get done running it lol
Old 08-21-2008, 05:35 AM
avgas

The HPI Baja is a stunning car, I have raced mine and done 6 meetings now, the last one was here (Powercup) http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7858693/tm.htm
Qualified 10th finished 13th. I now really need to change the rear tyres now...lol Thats six meetings and 2hrs of practice on the saturday.
The only changes I have made are:
Elcon clutch
Ramtech gear carrier (holds the cluth bell)
turtle racing clutchbell
I have replaced one steering turnbuckle and a rear shockshaft as the balljoint broke.
Oh and the new UK BRCA national champion has won with a HPI SS Baja, only mods done to the car as far as I know are, Elcon wheels with largescale tyres, different servo saver, moved the steering servo, added a new servo for front brakes and front hydros.
Hope this is of help to you and as your in the UK, if you need any help you could PM me.
All the best
Steve