Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

New Baja 5b - and a TOTAL beginner...

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

New Baja 5b - and a TOTAL beginner...

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 04:44 PM
Mexxan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Baja 5b - and a TOTAL beginner...

Well, after some major false starts (an LST years ago - 30 mins runtime before engine failure (shelfed) and very recently, an ERevo with a failed ESC on startup and battery melting session), I should probably just give up r/c and find another hobby,... but I just couldn't resist!

I have just ordered a Baja 5b which will be delivered tomorrow - the excitement is also mixed with a little worry - it looks great, but I'm kinda thinking I'm cursed - and trying to get some key basic things right to ensure a great initial experience.

I've done a lot of reading but I"m pretty much a total beginner from my very limited experience so I was hoping I could get some advice.

With the initial startup (in the hpi video) it shows the priming / choking process - does this need to be repeated on every start?
if I use the kill switch on the engine, does that mean that re-priming it will result in it flooding?

Any other advice for a total newb would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 08-21-2008, 05:02 PM
savagedriver01

Default RE: New Baja 5b - and a TOTAL beginner...

if you stop your engine,then you don't have to re prime it...just give it a quick pull and she'll fire right back up again...i only reprime the car when i go out with it the next day, you will never regret buying a gasser,i tuned mine once and thats it...there so much easer then nitro cars.....have fun with your new buggy
Old 08-21-2008, 05:55 PM
Mexxan

Thanks for the reply - if I don't need to re-prime with the fuel 'bulb' - do I still need to use the choke at starting or is it simply tug away?
Old 08-21-2008, 08:56 PM
FastEddy
My Feedback: (1)

When starting it cold (Not yet run for the day or for several hours) you will want to prime it with the bulb untill the bulb is full then an extra push or two for good luck. From there put the choke on (In the down position). Pull the start handle slowly until you feel compression then let the handle go all the way back in. From there, give it a good yank or two until you hear it "Pop" or better to say almost want to start. This should only be 1 or two pulls. From there, move the choke into the off position (Up) and pull the handle till there is compression. Let the handle back in then give here a good pull. It should star right up in 1-3 pulls.

Once its been started and you want to start it again within an hour or so, you should be able to just pull the handle and be done with it.

If you have never started one before you may want to watch the end of this little video.
6 Minutes into the last video
http://www.hpibajatutorials.com/showthread.php?t=283
Old 08-22-2008, 05:31 AM
Mexxan

Thanks FastEddy - much appreciated description, feel alot more confident at giving this ago. The Baja 5b just arrived - I'm sitting looking at a rather large HPI box - gutted because I have to leave for work right now.

My motors and ESC have also arrived back from Traxxas UK, somehow I think that'll be taking a back seat for a while.

Big day tomorrow!
Old 08-29-2008, 12:30 AM
mopar jake

you wont be able to get the smile off of your face after running your baja you will love your baja congrats my friend enjoy.
Old 08-29-2008, 03:50 AM
Pearl_414
Banned

The Baja 5B start's like a weedeater, very easy. I had 1 for a few weeks, I added ton's of mod's had about 2,500 in it and sold it to some dude from Australia for 500 bucks, thought I would made some budget guy happy and man was he happy. It eat's tire's like there is no tomorrow, street tir's last longer.

Enjoy...