Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Baja 5B Bearings?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 12:37 PM
XrayDriver
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Baja 5B Bearings?

Hello,
I need to replace the bearings in my Baja. What bearings do you guys use/recommend? I found these, its the whole set its kinda nice to have them all.

EDIT: Removed advertising.
Old 10-06-2008, 03:35 PM
DarkSoul Racing

Default RE: Baja 5B Bearings?

You might want to look at the Team Fast Eddy bearings as well, they have a standard and a pro kit available-

http://www.davesmotors.com/store/product1751.html

http://www.davesmotors.com/store/product2079.html
Old 10-06-2008, 03:41 PM
frumpy

Have a look here xray,great bearing sets at about half the price

http://www.davesmotors.com/cgi-bin/s...9247fa14dd4780
Old 10-11-2008, 01:20 AM
FastEddy
My Feedback: (1)

I believe that the set in the first link are NOT a rubber sealed set and are only metal shielded. It does not include the bushing to bearing upgrade either. Please double check.
The Team FastEddy sets both include all the upgrades and are rubber shielded.
Available from TGN or DDM as well as many other retail locations.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:48 AM
hndaman1
My Feedback: (6)

Full Force Racing has the best deal going

http://www.fullforcerc.com/5B.htm

"This is our complete replacement bearing kit for your 5B. Compatible with both the RTR and the SS version of the truck this kit replaces every single bearing needed for a full overhaul. All bearings are double rubber sealed for superior performance and durability. Ultra low maintenance on these bearings is another advantage. Kit includes 25 pieces (blue and black rubber sealed bearings). "

their cost is only 45.00 for abec 5 or better bearings...
Old 10-11-2008, 07:40 PM
thrasher st1

hows things guys? i bought myself a 5b ss a few weeks ago, and although the car is strong and well designed i think that the stock bearings really let the car down. after only 3 tanks of fuel both the bearings on the clutch bell holder collapsed, fried the holder and wore out the clutch pads. i think that for anyone building an ss, you should toss the stock bearings over your shoulder and get better quality units they re not that expensive and will save you the headache of having to replace damaged parts
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92262.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	1049948   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85248.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	1049949   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz68811.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	1049950   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wq42805.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	1049951   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lw19464.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	1049952  
Old 10-13-2008, 10:45 PM
vertigo performance

The stock bearings are probably fine, some of the issues is the plastic carrier doesn't dissipate heat and flexes which puts added strain on the bearings.

If you want to upgrade, Full Force bearings are $45, Vertigo Performance are $45 Both ABEC 5 and as good as any ABEC 5 kit on the market.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:00 AM
PowerSlideRacing

With the Ozzie dollar down right now you may want to look at buying an ABEC5 bearing kit from Australia
http://powerslideracing.com.au/index...index&cPath=84
postage would be $9 AUD
Old 10-16-2008, 07:11 PM
Monsterman--HBF
My Feedback: (28)

You cant go wrong with Team Fast Eddy bearings.. I've tried the others out there on the market and I'll stick with Team Fast Eddy's
Old 10-16-2008, 07:18 PM
vertigo performance

The only difference in Fast Eddies, Power Slide, Full Force and VP is the price. Abec 5 Bearings are standard rating and any bearing falling under this category are comparable.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:31 PM
M0NAR0MAN

ORIGINAL: Chriscru

You cant go wrong with Team Fast Eddy bearings.. I've tried the others out there on the market and I'll stick with Team Fast Eddy's
I tried the fast eddie ones and they fell to pieces on me, wont use them again.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:05 AM
Dave ESPI

I have eddies berrings.

I like them.

Sold the original HPI ones with out ever running them, so I really can't compare to "Stock" running quality, but I can tell that from just finger spinning them, Eddies were much better than the stock ones.

ALso getting the Vertigo (or any other brand) Aluminum carrier is a HUGE improvement over the stock plastic. ITs a "MUST DO" upgrade.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:22 AM
FastEddy
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: vertigo performance

The only difference in Fast Eddies, Power Slide, Full Force and VP is the price. Abec 5 Bearings are standard rating and any bearing falling under this category are comparable.
This is true only if you are comparing one aspect of the overall product. They are the same just like saying all tires are comparable, they are round.
The ABEC rating is only a measurement of tolerance. There are many differences in all the sets you listed including the manufacturers, metals used in the races, cages, and balls, grease composition, shield base material and coating, as well as the assembly process. Every company listed is different.
Thats like saying the only difference in a 1:1 car tire with the same speed rating is the pricing. There is much more to it.

As consumers, there are many factors to consider when buying any product.
I suggest that people do their homework and get whats best for them. If price is a factor go get the least expensive set you can find. Its better then not having any at all. If quality, reputation and having a FULL set of bearings including bushing upgrades, then the cheapest sets on the market are not going to fill your need. Find whats most important to you in any product and choose what fits your needs.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:51 PM
M0NAR0MAN

Rubbish they all come from the same factory in China
Old 10-22-2008, 09:56 PM
PEERPSI

Being an industrial maintenance technician I can tell you that the numbers on the bearings from my 5B SS will all standard industrial. That means you can look up bearings in your local yellowpages and buy good quality replacements from your local industrial supply house. While they may not bet online prices there should be no shipping or brokerage fees.

Like one earlier poster stated, do a little home work. Bearings are available, for instance with different types of seals etc..
Old 10-22-2008, 11:01 PM
Mr Terminator

Whatever bearings are bought,they all need regular maintenance and cleaning,especially in these large models,any set of ABEC rated bearings can fail and they do without routine maintenance,i'm still on the stock bearings and all is ok although the clutch holder bearings did lose one of the seals,its down to the crappy HPI clutchbell not being true and spinning out of true puts a hell of a lot of strain on the bearings in the holder so even if you replace them with Eddys,Vertigo or whatever,they'll still end up failing if the other components aren't changed.I'm getting the Turtle clutch kit as its the best aftermarket replacement out there at the moment and are fitted with Fast Eddy's bearings,I doubt i'll see any problems for a while....
Old 10-22-2008, 11:53 PM
Banned
My Feedback: (2)