Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

1/5 body and tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 10:26 AM
drewcrew6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/5 body and tires

Not sure what brand of bodies out there are good. Maybe somone will have a recommendation for what I'm looking for.
Preferably a Dodge truck or Suv but a Jeep would not be bad. Seems like most bodies replicate the ford truck and I am not a fan of ford.

Also what height and width is the typical 1/5 tire for off road?

Thanks
Drewcrew6
Old 10-29-2008, 01:11 PM
Lars from Norway

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 1/5 body and tires

First of all,what wheelbase are you talking about?I dont know of many offroad bodies in 1/5 except from the Baja 5T body,FG's are 1/6 scale but have the Jeep and Hummer body.There are also many other types than FG bodies,like the "cheaper" brands( and more unknown brands),these have cheaper bodies too.Look at the size for the wheels on a Baja,or the FG and other types.I cant quite remember now,but i think it is from 170 mm and up
Old 10-29-2008, 05:15 PM
Soloratov
My Feedback: (1)

Hey Drew.....

The tires from a 1/5 MCD Monster Truck are 210mm. However, they sport the ford truck body. Basically, 8" tire, I think the size you were using before. These are 1/5 trucks, but as Lars said, most others are 1/6. Partially why I am using some parts from MCD is because it's that slightly larger size. Here is the link to some very helpful guys that I have been getting my parts from:

http://innovativehobby.com/index.asp...TS&Category=28

Thats the MCD tire section, but there are a lot of other nice items there.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:00 AM
bsrman14
Banned

Buying 1/5 or 1/6 parts are expensive as you can see. The biggest truck body I found is 1/4 scale in lexan or fiberglass but expensive $$$$. You can cetrtainly buy truck tires cheaper than $45 a wheel. Over half you buget is gone when buying parts instead of using alternatives.

Origionator of the $250 1/4 budget buggy.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94149.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	7.0 KB
ID:	1062151  
Old 10-31-2008, 08:31 PM
drewcrew6

Exact size of the car has yet to be determined mainly due to chosing a body.
I was thinking in the range of 16" wide and 41" length with a wheelbase of about 20".
That will put me on the low side of 1/5 of an actual dodge ram.
The one thing that has bothered me with the truck bodies I've seen are they are not really big enough for the scale they say, unlike the cars.
I mean the car bodies are full width covering the car and tires but all the truck bodies are monster truck with wheels well out from under the body.
Thats ok i guess but I would like the look of a large lifted 4x4 not a monster truck.
Scale stock tires would be just under 7" and 2" wide with a large lifted look I could go to 9"and 4" wide (44" tires).

I know my desired look might create a rollover machine since it will have to stand pretty tall. Which is kind of why I want to find the body for this first so I can get a feel for this ideal design.

Drewcrew6
Old 11-02-2008, 06:37 PM
SilverSteel

With the first version of MCD Monstertrucks they sold, they put a way too large body on the MCD MT's.

Image from rc-xtreme.de

If you are lucky you can get a such body at eBay ".co.uk" or ".de"
I know that [link=http://webshop.rc4fun.net]this shop owner[/link] has one of these bodies in his basement, already painted but beautiful....
And look it is a DODGE!
I think thats exactly what you are looking for.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:46 AM
sloth108

Can anyone tell me if running the standard front tires on the baja 5b is suitable for sand. I am going to fork out for the rear tyres but are strapped for cash and won't to run on sand. Will the standard tyres bite into the sand enough for good control. Thanks Dave
Old 11-04-2008, 01:49 PM
drewcrew6

Hey Silver
That does look like a good possibility but I'm in the USA. And not sure if the truck shipped with those to the states, also isn't that truck a couple years old? If someone does know of a body I would be interested in the measurements and how much. The other drawback is availability since this truck will be beaten upon I would need at least 2 bodies, 1 for nice and 1 for the beating of its life!

Sorry Sloth I cannot help with that info.
Old 11-04-2008, 06:05 PM
SilverSteel

ORIGINAL: drewcrew6

Hey Silver
That does look like a good possibility but I'm in the USA. And not sure if the truck shipped with those to the states, also isn't that truck a couple years old? If someone does know of a body I would be interested in the measurements and how much. The other drawback is availability since this truck will be beaten upon I would need at least 2 bodies, 1 for nice and 1 for the beating of its life!

Sorry Sloth I cannot help with that info.
I'm sure if you want this body he would ship it to the US, I think he also knows where to get another one if you need two. The body he has is "old" (I guess about 2 yrs. old) and already painted but never used!!!

Drop him an email, maybe he can help.