Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Zero drag seals

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 07:49 PM
clubin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zero drag seals

Have you ever used them? I question how they will last in dusty conditions. What are your ideas on them?
http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.88...t.A/id.1284/.f
http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.88...t.A/id.1279/.f
Old 01-06-2009, 08:10 PM
slawhammer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Zero drag seals

You have to be sure they install correctly..works best with brand new crank bearings for zero play or movement...
there is a slight oil film on the crank and those zero drag seals...That's how they work..Yeah you could suck in dirt and have a big air leak...
I know the boat guys use them..Check out some of there forums.....I will have to check on a couple site for ya,,,,some thing about M & D designs Racing
also makes zero drag seals..I have info some place here..will check in too it...AKASlawhammer
EDIT: spelling error
Old 01-06-2009, 08:15 PM
clubin

I kinda figured they were mostly a boat thing.
Old 01-07-2009, 01:34 AM
Mazda ute

I run these seals by Allanach racing seals in all my motors in my bajas with out any problems. Alot of guys in AUS run these. These seals have saved many motors even when the clutch had worn out and the shoes were metal to metal and the bell went blue from heat the motors are still fine no way in the world would the motor be still working fine if it only had stock seals or metal so called zero drag seals in it. Motor does spin more freely as well with these installed. I have 3 motors with them in and they all go hard ZEN26,GP290,CY26 . USE A OLD BEARING TO INSTALL AND OIL THEM WHEN YOU INSTALL THEM . These will save a motor its very dusty were we run and very very fine sand. They WILL NOT suck any dirt into a motor.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:27 PM
slawhammer

I never tried those zero drag seals.....I have read about them..both good and bad....Well clubin... I will get a set of those white drag seals for my rebuild
and let ya know what I think....As Maza uta and those guys are using them from down under in there cars...Guess that's a good enough report on them...
AKASlawhammer
EDIT: I like the graphic's on your beetle shell...I just finished painting my beetle shell
Old 01-07-2009, 05:15 PM
kidd

bought a set for a zen 23 i modded recently. easy to install and not very expensive.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:16 PM
splcrazy

i have the brass zero drag seals in my first baja they cost me $30 , they perform how they say they perform and the engine does rev alot better and they are simple and easy to install . the price for them is a ripp off though DDM sells the brass and teflon seals for nearly the same price , i went for the brass seals instead of teflon . but i have seen these seals on other websites i think it was a boat site and they were selling them for $14
Old 01-07-2009, 11:00 PM
slawhammer

Hey clubin..jim's boat dock was the place I remember now after going back in my files...on the site ..use the search box..type in ..drag seals
that should get you a bunch of information.....AKASlawhammer
Old 01-08-2009, 01:31 AM
slawhammer

Clubin: carlo has the bronze drag seals @14$....look under engine parts..his site....www.cc-racingengines.com
AKASlawhammer
Old 01-08-2009, 07:24 AM
clubin

ORIGINAL: slawhammer

Clubin: carlo has the bronze drag seals @14$....look under engine parts..his site....www.cc-racingengines.com
AKASlawhammer
I have sent them so many e-mails to CC with not even one reply, I would rather not deal with them! If they are impossible to contact now what happens when I buy one of their engines? Does it get easier to contact them?
I'll deal with DDM, they reply to e-mails day/night, Brad is so good to deal with. I'd gladly pay twice as much to get that kind of customer support.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:35 AM
slawhammer

Clubin: I hear ya my friend...I didn't know if you were looking for a savings deal or what....I also talk with Ryan or Brad at DDM..wonderful support
and service..I also talk with Sean at O'neil Brothers....For me those two are pretty much it for engine stuff.....
Best to you on your quest about drag seals...AKASlawhammer
Old 01-08-2009, 07:39 AM
kingpin123

do you know if when the clutch bell turn a little blue if that will cause any problems or effect any thing? or do i have to replace it
Old 01-08-2009, 07:52 AM
clubin

ORIGINAL: kingpin123

do you know if when the clutch bell turn a little blue if that will cause any problems or effect any thing? or do i have to replace it
read through post #4
Old 01-08-2009, 08:23 AM
kingpin123

i did read it , but it does not answer my question on the blue clutch bell and if it would cause any problems or effect anything and if i have to replace them? that is what i want to know
Old 01-08-2009, 04:53 PM
kidd

the seals that the zero drag seals enhance are made of rubber. i would venture to guess that teflon and bronze would be even more teat resistant
Old 01-08-2009, 05:27 PM
kingpin123

so does the blue color from heat on my clutch bell i see will that cause any problems? or do i have to replace them
Old 01-08-2009, 08:07 PM
kidd

your blue clutchbell has nothing to do with the crank shaft seals
Old 01-08-2009, 09:53 PM
splcrazy

ORIGINAL: kingpin123

so does the blue color from heat on my clutch bell i see will that cause any problems? or do i have to replace them
your bell is overheating major time , id inspect the clutch
Old 01-08-2009, 10:48 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Definitely a cluch problem, slipage galore.

Best to take off the CB and have a good look at the clutch shoes to see if they are worn. Also, if the spring is the wrong rating, and way too stiff such that your engine has to turn 15000RPM to engage the clutch, its best to get a spring rated to engage the clutch shoes at no higher than like 9000 RPM? (Actually, I do not even know if clutch springs are stiff enough to hold back engagement untill 15000RPM, that would be a super-fly spring).

Also, I would look at the black bolts that hold the clutch shoes to the "t" cluctch assembly holder. I dont know if it is possible to over tithen those, but if they are too tight, they will make the shoes open way slowly and thus contribute to slippage.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:32 AM
CC Racing Engines

ORIGINAL: clubin

AKASlawhammer
I have sent them so many e-mails to CC with not even one reply, I would rather not deal with them! If they are impossible to contact now what happens when I buy one of their engines? Does it get easier to contact them?
I'll deal with DDM, they reply to e-mails day/night, Brad is so good to deal with. I'd gladly pay twice as much to get that kind of customer support.
Clubin,
We answer e-mails every day and answer the phone everyday from 10am til 6pm. We have never received an e-mail from you are we would have answered it promptly. Maybe your e-mail address is getting stuck in the spam filter I do not know for sure. If you ever need anything please feel free to call and we can try to figure out why we are not receiving your e-mails.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:22 AM
clubin

ORIGINAL: CC Racing Engines

AKASlawhammer
Clubin,
We answer e-mails every day and answer the phone everyday from 10am til 6pm. We have never received an e-mail from you are we would have answered it promptly. Maybe your e-mail address is getting stuck in the spam filter I do not know for sure. If you ever need anything please feel free to call and we can try to figure out why we are not receiving your e-mails.
I will be sure to pick up the phone next time I require your services.
Old 01-10-2009, 04:56 AM
splcrazy

ORIGINAL: CC Racing Engines

AKASlawhammer
Clubin,
how come your seals cost $14 compared to $29 at DDM
Old 01-10-2009, 12:21 PM
mooman007uk

ORIGINAL: SAVAGEJIM

Definitely a cluch problem, slipage galore.

Best to take off the CB and have a good look at the clutch shoes to see if they are worn. Also, if the spring is the wrong rating, and way too stiff such that your engine has to turn 15000RPM to engage the clutch, its best to get a spring rated to engage the clutch shoes at no higher than like 9000 RPM? (Actually, I do not even know if clutch springs are stiff enough to hold back engagement untill 15000RPM, that would be a super-fly spring).

Also, I would look at the black bolts that hold the clutch shoes to the "t" cluctch assembly holder. I dont know if it is possible to over tithen those, but if they are too tight, they will make the shoes open way slowly and thus contribute to slippage.
I've got a little bit of blue on my clutch bell...no biggie my original fg brake used to bind sometimes and it blued the bell. i think 8000rpm spring is the stiffest you can get, i use the 7500 ddm spring on my fg and i have an 8000 hpi one i got for free in my rampage.

you shouldn't be able to overtighten the clutch bolts cos they use shouldered bolts and spring washers to stop any flapping around.

take any glaze off the shoes with emery cloth/sandpaper....heavily glazed shoes will slip and genereate a lot of heat