Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Help with 29CC CY engine...

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 05:25 PM
tom111

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with 29CC CY engine...

Hi,

What is the default setting for the high needle & the low needle in a CY29CC engine? I mean how many turns do I need to make?

This is a new engine that I just bought & it works only on a very high RPM, immediately when I start the engine it goes to ~15,000 RPM, if I try to lower it by reducing the trim on the throttle it immediately shuts off, so the first thing I would like to check is my needles definitions, any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Tom
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26896.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	1110838  
Old 01-14-2009, 08:32 PM
scarletboa
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Help with 29CC CY engine...

the stock HSN setting is 1 1/4 turns and the LSN stock setting is 1 1/2 turns.

that is tightening it until it won't crew in easily anymore and then turning it left 1 1/2 or 1/4 turns.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:40 PM
SAVAGEJIM

That is for the 26cc from what I remember. The 29cc should be at its factory default. So, befoer you even start the engine, do this: Close the needles in and COUNT just how many turns in until fully closed. Then turn them back out to the exact same number of turns you turned in.

If it is 1.25 turns in and 1 turn in, then you know for sure. If it is something different, say, 1 turn in and 1 turn in, then that is your factory default.

(I simply do not know if there is a CY factory setting published anywhere, except with your 29cc owner's manual when you get it)
Old 01-14-2009, 09:10 PM
slawhammer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TOM..I have the same engine I run in my firehammer...your factory default is: 1 & 3/8 turn out High side..1 & 1/4 Low side ...This will get ya started...
after engine is warmed up make very small adjustment to high side first......Do you have a 3 channel TX? Do you have a modified Engine Kill switch yet?
These are the very first things I would do before running the RC Unit......Your Tx Fail safe will not kill the engine..for a run away unit....Just some advice to safe you
some dollars if gets away from you or hurt some body....AKASlwahammer
Old 01-14-2009, 09:44 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

How do you like these engines? I am just getting in to 1/5 scale as my B5 SS should be here Friday. I have been doing a bunch of reading on this forum and many others. I have heard a lot complaining about this engine and would like to here your opinion on it.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:22 PM
splcrazy

i ran that engine head once and it was crap , it over heated major , the cooling shroud cant fit on that head and it got to an insane hot temp causing premature engine siezures.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:42 AM
tom111

Hi,

Thanks all for the numbers & advises, I will try that with the carb & see how it works

slawhammer – ever since this (please look at the below link), I install a TGN remote ignition kill switch in all my cars, I just don’t leave home without it…

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_68...%2Csafe/tm.htm

Thanks,
Tom
Old 01-15-2009, 08:12 AM
tom111

Hi,

I just read in older threads in the forum that this model of CY with the billet head has some sealant issue, can it be that some air is running out from the billet head? And therefore my engine gets those outrages RPM at the beginning? Can it be that it is just not sealed right? What can I do in order to seal it better?

Thanks,
Tom
Old 01-15-2009, 09:17 AM
slawhammer

Tom..All engines can have a air leak..not just the 29 CC billet head...Check your carb settings first...then if you suspect a air leak spray
Wd40 around the carb and base gasket of cylinder..if RPM's increase you have a airleak....My guess if air leak would be the insoluator block
tightened to tight pulling away from the cylinder.....I use a alloy ADA intake and teflon spacer..no air leaks..These 29 CC billet head engines
are no different that any other engine by Chung Yang....Was Knowen that the cylinders had some bad plating at one time......I have read Cy has
made there plating better now...Some people have had good luck with this engine other's not so good......You want to run a little on the rich
side.....My firehammer came with the 29 billet head engine. ....Mine has been ok so far...But my next replacement would be a 27.2 CC Top end..
Hope this helps..AKASlawhammer
Old 01-15-2009, 11:11 PM
SAVAGEJIM

As for eliminating air leaks, I have seen people put some sort of sealant on full sized vehicles on the gaskets. But in out model gassers. I noticed that there are no sealants put on the gaskets at all! I wonder why that is?
Old 01-16-2009, 12:13 PM
tom111

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the info, I opened my engine last night & I noticed that the billet head is mounted straight on the cylinder head without any gasket or sealant between them, this is pure metal on metal, how can this be sealed? I mean a metal on metal with no teflon spacer, sealant or any other material will never be sealed! There is a air leak from there & this is a new engine out of the box, I just don’t understand how CY manufacture such engine with nothing between the cylinder head & billet head… I have some liquid silicon that is made for engines gaskets, I wonder if this will work…

Thanks.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:20 PM
speedy.d

a head gasket is only 2.25. i think i would spend the money.( although more than once i have made gaskets from baseball cards/cereal boxes and they definetly work they just wont work indefenetly!)
Old 01-16-2009, 01:04 PM
slawhammer

tom: DDM has the billet head gasket..there $4.00 dollars......There copper or brass..simular to nitro head gaskets....AKASlawhammer
Old 01-16-2009, 01:27 PM
clubin

They must have forgotten to put it in. Quality controll issue?
Old 01-16-2009, 05:19 PM
slawhammer

Tom: Well it will take another $60.00 dollars to make that engine right.....Hate to say this but maybe you should have chosen DDM#bb50x engine....
The billet heads are a pain in the butt till get the bugs worked out.....Maybe DDM will give you a new head gasket if ya e-mail them..
or exchange engines.....don't think so on the engine since you ran fuel thru the engine.....I can get you a list of what you should do to make it right and
it will be a good engine after that for a while......The billet looks nice all bling and every thing....Like I said I have a billet head engine and I am going to a
different engine end of this month or next month...Best to you my friend..AKASlawhammer
Old 01-16-2009, 06:55 PM
NitroBurn1

I bought one of these head kits from DDM with race porting and have been running it in my Rampage since last summer with no problems. For the price I think it was a good deal.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:13 PM
slawhammer

Hey Tom: I never said you did not get a good buy on your new engine...I said yes the 29 CC Billet head engines have some problems
..But so do other engine's...,,,Get a copper head gasket ..put it in...you should be ok....I just mentioned to make the engine right you need to spend
some more money is all......I have the same engine....I had to get the bugs worked out of the engine...And has been running ok...only minor
problem I have is getting the brown colour on the spark plug is all....Best to you..AKASlawhammer
Old 01-17-2009, 03:30 AM
tom111

Hi slawhammer,

Thanks for all the great advises, sorry if I wasn’t clear enough but the engine did come with a copper gasket, the thing is that this is not enough… it does not seals the engine! some air is running out from that link, BUT yesterday I did spend more money on that engine & I took it to a workshop next to where I leave, boy these guys have some tools!!! What they did is:

1. Removed the exhaust & carb from the engine.
2. Sealed the exhaust socket with a special metal plate that had rubber in one side of it & they screwed this to the engine.
3. They sealed the carb socket with a similar plate but this one had a small pipe connected to it & from there it went straight to the compressor.
4. Then the “pumped” the engine & you could look at the pressure needle if the pressure is stable in the engine or if some air is leaking out…
5. Of course some air was leaking out so they sprayed the engine with some material that makes bubbles in every place that there was some air leakage.
6. For every leakage they opened the engine, sealed it with better gaskets or with some sealants materials & they repeated the above process till my engine was 100% sealed!!!

Now it works like a baby… I just think that a new engine that CY sell needs to come already 100% sealed from the factory without us messing up with that…

Thanks guys for all the help & I wish you all some better luck with your engines…[sm=confused_smile.gif]
Old 01-17-2009, 07:25 PM
slawhammer

Hey Tom ..Glad ya got the bugs worked out of the engine....Have fun enjoy...As A note to remember: The engine bearings are not that good of quality in the CY29CC billet head
so you will want to change them to zenoah engine bearings there like $13 USD..oil seals $6 USD as well...side case gasket $2 USD..and new base cylinder gasket $2 USD....you will be good
for a long time.....ANy way DDM has them ...Best to you my friend..AKASlawhammer
Old 01-18-2009, 04:59 AM
tom111

Thanks again slawhammer, I have also a Zenoah 26cc engine on my FG MT & I did noticed that the CY gaskets are made in a different quality, I will for sure upgrade these soon, although I’m glad that my engine works well now & I am not sure if it would be a wise thing to open it now just to replace the gaskets, after all “if it’s not broken don’t try to fix it…”

Here is a picture of my new MCD MT with finally working engine (yesterday was the test drive…)

Thank you friend
Tomer

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk24932.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	1113342   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw73212.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	1113343   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vb73750.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	1113344   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rl26433.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	1113345   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wh59292.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	1113346  
Old 01-18-2009, 03:44 PM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

How does the 29 compare to the Zen26?
Old 01-18-2009, 07:45 PM
splcrazy

ORIGINAL: SAVAGEJIM

As for eliminating air leaks, I have seen people put some sort of sealant on full sized vehicles on the gaskets. But in out model gassers. I noticed that there are no sealants put on the gaskets at all! I wonder why that is?
i put sealant on my gaskets all the time , if you go to your auto shop get this stuff called gasket goo , but i dont know if you's have that in the states. gasket goo has like tar in it ,and is resistant to fuel . or you can try any automotive fuel resistant gasket sealant thats ment for real size cars . or if you have loctite in the states get a stick of hi tack gasket sealant .

Old 01-18-2009, 08:27 PM
bryan70546
My Feedback: (4)

Man seeing that New MCD MT bring back memeries , man it sure is wide I love the looks like I will have to get another is that the EVO3 ?
Bryan
Old 01-19-2009, 03:35 AM
tom111

Hi,

srt10 – it is still hard to know, the CY is new I run it only once and only half throttle, also the CY is mounted on my MCD MT which is 4WD & heavier than my FG MT (where my Zenoah 26cc is mounted), in general Zenoah should be made in a better quality than CY, but I can’t really determine that yet, although I had some issues with some air leaking from the CY engine & I wonder if that would have happen in Zenoah… although the problem was with the billet head and maybe a CY without a billet head would have been better… bottom line you get what you pay for & the Zenoah cost more $$$

bryan70546 – Yes this is the EVO3 Wide Competition model, it is their newest model & the tires even came with inflation valves instead of the annoying needles…

Old 04-11-2009, 10:55 PM
thrasher st1

Hi guys, i'm gunna go off on a bit of a tangent here, can anyone explain to me what a reed case engine is ? I keep hearing about them but i'm not sure what it means. does a reed case bolt on or is it part of the head ? any info would be appreciated. cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.