Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

grease for diff

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 03:07 PM
kingpin123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default grease for diff

hello, i heard guys using grease in the diff in order to get it to lock up

can anybody tell me what kind of grease i must used and how much i should use?

i tried using regular wheel bearing grease from a hardware store, i packed it with grease in the diff. but it did not make any difference . the 2 wheels was still spiniing freely. andf i hear guys say when you put the grease the 2 wheels should lock up , not completely but at least a good bit

any help???

Old 02-18-2009, 03:42 PM
waqr

Default RE: grease for diff

Hi!

You should use a really thick differental oil instead of grease since the grease have a tendancy to move away from the gears inside the diff. This means that you wont get any locking effect. Just make sure to seal the differential tightly when using oil instead of grease.

//Dany
Old 02-18-2009, 04:12 PM
kingpin123

do you know what type of diff oil to use? do i use any from the a hardware store?
Old 02-18-2009, 04:26 PM
str8jailbird

Actually if you want to "stiffen" the diff's then check out Maxima Blue grease. It does not get thrown off of the gears as it's consistency is extremely tacky. I use it in my MT diffs as well as my 5B SS, and Rampage MT. Unlike other greases when that get flung off the Maxima is so sticky and "stringy" that it actually gets pulled back onto the grears as they rotate. I can stick my finger on the surface of the Maxima and actually pull 2 inch "strings" from the tub. I heard that the Kendall Blue is the same but can't find it anywhere local.
Old 02-18-2009, 04:45 PM
kingpin123

do you know where i can get that maxima blue grease? can i get it like at ace harware?

nad is that the corret name to ask for?

thanks
Old 02-18-2009, 04:46 PM
kingpin123

or what about NAPA do they have the maxima grease?
Old 02-18-2009, 05:02 PM
Lars from Norway

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my FG i use grease from FG,part # FG 6512,very sticky stuff
Old 02-18-2009, 07:19 PM
kingpin123

how much do you put in? do you have to just pack it up with the grease?
Old 02-18-2009, 07:54 PM
tim6389

uses Silly-putty no iam not joking more info here :

[link=http://www.hpibajaforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48161]silly putty in diff[/link]
Old 02-18-2009, 11:21 PM
str8jailbird

I got the Maxima at an autoparts store, I am not sure if Napa carries it. Just call them and ask. And yes it is Maxima Blue in a tub. I locked the diffs in my T-maxx with silly puddy but if you want the diffs to work as diffs are supposed to in the future then silly puddy is a PITA to get out. I think a tub of the Maxima set me back about $9 USD. Not a lot when it will last a LONG time.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:06 AM
tom111

All the information you need is here, it is all in the numbers you choose, for diff locking it seems like you will need the 60K:

http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.88...t.A/id.5141/.f

3K - Best for everyday driving and offers a little better overall traction over the stock fluid. Its also less prone to leaking.
10K - Best used when your running on slippery surfaces such as grass or on loose dirt and gravel.
30K - Ideal for your sand rig offering great traction and a minimal amount of steering loss.
60K - As close as you will need to get for locking your diff without all the wear and tear on your drive train and broken parts that are associated with a solid diff locker.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:48 AM
Lars from Norway

ORIGINAL: kingpin123

how much do you put in? do you have to just pack it up with the grease?
I poured the hole bottle into the diff,this will give roughly 60% locking effect.If you want less locking effect,add less
Old 02-19-2009, 02:20 PM
kingpin123

how do you get it to like about 95% lock or even 100% if that is possible?

only using it for drag racing
Old 02-19-2009, 04:41 PM
Lars from Norway

I have seen DDM sells this "thing" you put in the diff that locks it mechanicly 100%,this seems to me like it is placed between the drive cups so they cant rotate.

Edit:I found the "thing"[link=http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.885035/n.1/it.A/id.5581/.f]Here's the link![/link]I guess its this or the 60k grease you have to use
Old 02-19-2009, 10:13 PM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: tim6389

uses Silly-putty no iam not joking more info here :

[link=http://www.hpibajaforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48161]silly putty in diff[/link]
OMG! That guy has really got to be joking, that is just too funny to believe! [sm=lol.gif]

What I am curious about is the chemical composition of silly putty: if it is oil based, it could dissolve and lose it's silly-putty-ish properties and simply become goo? Or worse, disolve and its polymer chains brake down so much, it could liquify to an oil of a viscosity less than 1000 weight. (I dont know if this is correct, I have no clue what the chem composition of silly putty is.)
Old 02-19-2009, 11:07 PM
str8jailbird

I have heard of other folks using silly putty but that was in 1/8 scales and smaller. I have also heard people using bee's wax. Heat it up to melt it then pour it in the diff and reassemble. To remove it that the ring gear off the diff and boil it in water because it floats. I have never tried it nor will I for the main reason that I like my diff to actually work for my driving style. besides it can't be good on the bearings. If you want to lock your diff then yeah, molten wax (even candle wax) in the diff will lock it tight. If this is to lock the diff in a Baja 5B then just forgo all this mess and buy a diff locker. It replaces the diff with a solid piece with the outdrives. No slippage at all.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:59 PM
CTDave
My Feedback: (1)

I have found some valvoline Crimson Heavy Duty Grease which is very tacky and water resistance,I also have the maxima blue.I guess I will have to try them both.My ? is how much to put in,do you pack as much as you can get in there or the same as the oil,up to the shafts?
Old 02-21-2009, 07:10 AM
str8jailbird

How much do you want to "lock" them??? In my Ramp in the rear I packed enoguh in there that when I tightened the ring gear back on to the diff that grease came out of the screw holes. Yep it is TIGHT. I has just enough give in it for my needs which isn't much for my off roading. I like my Baja to have a tad more so I just cover the gears. If you want it almost locked then just pack it in there and the escess will come out through the screw holes when you retighten the ring gear.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:26 AM
CTDave
My Feedback: (1)

Thanx,I probably have in between the 2 and we will see how that does,might change it if not happy.I'm useing the valvoline crimson man talk about snot on a doorknob,got more on me thatn in the dif.lolThanx again for the tip.