Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Giant Scale or 1/8 Scale?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 01:07 PM
xt2nitro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Giant Scale or 1/8 Scale?

Hi, I have always wanted a giant scale car but I have no idea how they work in comparison to the 1/8 scale. I understand that they run on a petrol blend instead of nitro. Can you get a Nitro Giant Scale model? I saw one of these giant scales at my local model shop and it looked great! I currently have a 1/8 scale car and I think that it would be much easier to maintain a 1/8 Nitro to a Giant Scale petrol model? Please can you tell me how fast these can go... and what the differences are between giant and 1/8 (if you have/had had a 1/8).

Just curious to know more about the giant scale world... Thanks!
Old 02-22-2009, 01:16 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Default RE: Giant Scale or 1/8 Scale?

You can go to New Era Models and they have a kit to upgrade the nitro Savage into a 6th scale nitro truck.

Ofna DM on-road car is probably the largets scale prodiction nitro: 7th Scale. If there is another production nitro that is larger than 8th scale, I do not know what it is.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:05 PM
jimjeep

XTM racing also produced a 1/7 scale nitro buggy. Basically a oversized 1/8 scale with a .28 nitro mill and and bigger tires. I've heard that it has been discontinued so they can be had for cheap, but down the road where you gonna get parts when it breaks? A well tuned nitro car can blow the doors off anything but a brushless electric in accelleration from a standstill, but as with anything a good tune on a nice gasser with the right gearing and a high stall clutch will be nearly the same (for a few xtra bucks). some giant scales can hit speeds above 70mph (maybe more). They are WAAAY EASIER to maintain! No burnt out glow plugs, no tuning issues everytime you run them, fuel doesn't spoil easily or gel in tanks or lines, no need for a charged glow igniter, no need to afterrun oil, ringed piston engines last much longer, and how about getting 45 minutes of run time out of a single tankfull! Don't forget gasoline is much cheaper than nitro too! Ever since I went largescale my nitros have been collecting dust!
Old 02-22-2009, 10:09 PM
SAVAGEJIM

I agree! It was not until last weekened that I have actually fired up one of my nitros. I initially did it to vid it, I paid more than $30 for the gallon!!!!

I too say if you go larger than 8th scale, go gassers!
Old 02-22-2009, 10:10 PM
cheezer1222
My Feedback: (3)

This might answer some of your questions regarding giant scales: [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7217508/tm.htm]Getting Started[/link]. I'm not sure if you had a chance to look through it yet. It's pretty helpful and provides some good info.
Old 03-03-2009, 03:34 AM
EngageRC

1/8 to 1/5 is very simple... rid of nitro and fill up at any petrol station. off you go!
gas engine are very stable, no need to do the plug thing.. few pulls and voommmm.
once you tried.. you'll wonder why it takes so long for them to reach us!

enjoy!
Old 03-03-2009, 08:56 AM
speedy.d

just do some reading about the various 1/5 scale models some are ready to go out of the box and some although stated as ready to run require you to do a little preventive maintenance. i dont care if i ever have another nitro car again. if you have the space large scale is it!

in large scale you will find that price and quality both go up together.but after your first investment you will spend far less on upkeep than with your nitro cars.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:10 AM
str8jailbird

I agree with everything already said. One thing to keep in mind is the price of parts. 1/5 parts are a lot more than 1/8 parts. I have to 1/5 scales, a Baja 5B SS and a Rampage MT. They are awesome and a blast to drive. A word to the wise, nitro parts are fairly cheap compared to the large scales, maintenance is a critical factor. It also doesn't hurt to be creative, I have fabbed many parts for both of my gassers to cut cost or because there are no aftermarket upgrades for the parts I have made. Honestly my only surviving nitro doesn't see a lot of run time these days.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:57 PM
monsterbrad

I have to say I have had all kinds of trucks car's and buggies and have raced many of them.
There is nothing like and 1/8 scale buggy with a good engine in it.
They are fast will take a huge beating and will jump like no other.
A truggy on the other hand is your best bet for the inbetween model that will do what most 1/8 scales will do but still run with a monster truck to some degree.
The Losi LST is the best large monster truck around in my opinion and will take a fair share of beating.
The MGT is a good choice but I am not a fan of there chassis
Had one pounded the heck out of it and sold it to buy another LST.
Lastly in my mind small but simple :-)
you can't compare an 1/8 scale to a 1/5 scale like the 5T or the 5B
They are huge and heavy and will not take the beating like an 1/8 scale will.
SOme will tell you that they will but I will put and 1/8 scale through the ringer or my LST before I take my 1500 dollar truck off a 30ft jump.
Comparing Nitro engine's to gas
there is none
gas is easier but nitro has the power to weight advantage but needs tuning and glow plug ignitor every time you start it.
SO in all this it just depends on what you want to do with a gasser.
Don't sell your nitro's if you have them cause you will miss them and want them back.
I have been through the all electric stages and all nitro stages in my 20yrs of rc car's and trucks.
But it has been a blast
Old 03-04-2009, 06:59 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

There are people that run methanol nitro blends in there 1/5 scale gassers. They even make a carburetor made for this.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:35 PM
badboy2
My Feedback: (13)

the only downside of 5th scales is price of hopups..i just got into it too with the baja 5t and 5b .imo its a whole different world.like i said price are almost doubled on hop ups..except the engines theyre priced like my nitro engines.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:52 PM
speedy.d

the redcat tt drives like a giant 1/8 scale car. it is quick and it drives great. price is on the money too.most of the upgrades for this car are reasonable as well and there is a growing selection.