Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Leaving Nitro Going Gas?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 12:35 PM
tntjz3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaving Nitro Going Gas?

Hello, I have been running nitro for about 15 years. I have a Savage SS, great truck, but I really like the idea of 1/5 scale. My question is, has anyone here wished they kept their nitro? The reason I ask, I need to get rid of one for the other. I would hate to kick myself for selling my Savage. The car I'm looking into it the HPI Baja ss kit, I like to build them, plus the Savage has been the best nitro I have ever owned. I assume the quality of the Baja would equal the Savage. I would be running in parks and places like that, would a 1/5 scale be to loud? I want power so I would keep the tuned pipe. Does anyone have a better suggestion?
Old 02-28-2009, 12:40 PM
frumpy

Default RE: Leaving Nitro Going Gas?

Once you get a baja you'll soon be selling ALL of your nitros,happens to everyone I know LOL
Old 02-28-2009, 12:53 PM
rawpwr
My Feedback: (1)

I sold my nitros to get to get my fg in 2004. i have not looked at nitros since.
Old 02-28-2009, 12:54 PM
Freezetron

Sold my Revo 3.3 over a year ago and now im coming back and saving up for a Baja 5T
Old 02-28-2009, 12:59 PM
speedy.d

nitro? whats is this nitro the ancient one speeks of? leave your glow ignitor in the cave and evolve!
Old 02-28-2009, 01:23 PM
Beasley1

I never want to look at a nitro again! They are all gone and I do not miss them 1 bit.
Old 02-28-2009, 01:23 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

I will never get completely out of nitro. First finding a 1/5 scale track is FAR and FEW in between. All so you cannot jump a 1/5 scale like you can a 1/8. both have there pros and cons so I will keep running both.
Old 02-28-2009, 01:55 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Honestly, if you sell of you nitros and use the proceeds to get the HPI 5B or even a 5T, you really wont mis the nitros. I have some of my Nitros still, but I have not run them in months (until about a couple of weeks ago, I busted out one of my Savages and fired it up).

I totally love gassers for their larger sizes, the deeper sound of the engine, the absolute ease in tuning (more or less tune and forget), and the absolute savings in fuel costs. I find that one gallon of $2 87 octane gasoline will last as long as maybe like 3-5 gallons that a nitro engine can drink. So, in the long run, gassers can save you big time in the running costs, even though a gasser might initially cost you over a thousand bux.

The one thing I did miss about nitro is the very high RPMs of 30000+ RPM and the rather sweet smell of nitro as it burns.
Old 02-28-2009, 02:01 PM
cheezer1222

As far as noise, they are a bit loud. You can remedy that by getting a silencer for your pipe. That usually cuts the noise pretty well. They do seem to be louder than a nitro. To give you some perspective, go fire up a weed whacker. That's approximately how loud these are (for the most part).
Old 02-28-2009, 02:49 PM
46u

I have the 5B SS and yes if all you want is to get it running with decent radio you can do this for around $1,100 to $1,200. Now if you want to up graded the weak points and make it more reliable figure on $1,600 to $2,000. I have around $1,600 in mine and all ready had a radio. Will still be about $200 more before I ever fire it up and drive it. Then on to phase 2 and 3! [X(]
Old 02-28-2009, 03:04 PM
badboy2
My Feedback: (13)

good choice u got .u wont regret it .well my savage will stay with me and 1 kyosho gt.all others are up for sale.
Old 02-28-2009, 03:10 PM
sparky 25

I got a km baja put a high speed clutch and a 28.5 cc top end on it, than upgraded the tires to hostile a/t ones and bought a proline

desert rat body for it and thought i was finished running nitros,

But i kept my nitro trucks, cen gst, cen mg16 but have not used them since buying my baja at christmas,

I was then looking through ebay for savages and a few days later my fiancee bought me a savage x ss kit,

i just got it built last night and could not wait until the hobby shop opened this morning so i could get some fuel,

looks like the baja will be gathering a bit of dust until i get some run time on my new savage

So in my opinion you never leave nitro for gas and if you sell your savage you will miss not running it[&o]
Old 03-01-2009, 06:30 PM
wave waker

you''ll not regret selling nitro and get gas but if u can afford to have both much better...
Old 03-01-2009, 08:17 PM
tntjz3

ORIGINAL: 46u

I have the 5B SS and yes if all you want is to get it running with decent radio you can do this for around $1,100 to $1,200. Now if you want to up graded the weak points and make it more reliable figure on $1,600 to $2,000. I have around $1,600 in mine and all ready had a radio. Will still be about $200 more before I ever fire it up and drive it. Then on to phase 2 and 3! [X(]
What Parts are weak? I don't upgrade parts till they break, but a heads up would be great. I think I will keep the Savage, just to make sure I like the Baja. I just hate having a bunch of things around that I don't use. I'm looking foward to putting this kit together, and driving it. The videos at the HPI web site have me hooked on getting one!
Old 03-01-2009, 10:09 PM
monsterbrad

I have to chime in here
After running the new 5T just a bit I have now began to see what all the large scale guys are talkin about.
These things are awesome.
I did not sell my nitro for 1 reason.
I LOVE the smell of nitro burning and the crazy RPM they can acheive.
Other then that the Gasser is a bit easier to use.
Grab the truck with the charged battery and some 2 stroke and the remote.
You have at least an hr of play time no tuning or watching temps just run and have fun.
Just remember these things are heavy give it some time to stop.
oh yes
while you are building the kit do the front wheel mod.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:29 PM
So Cal

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really want to go gas, and leave nitro's. But i just need the money to get the 1/5 scale car in the first place. And i really like how reliable my muggy has been but I really want a 5b. Anyone want to buy a revo?
Old 03-02-2009, 02:54 AM
EngageRC

go with the big boys! gas rules!!
Old 03-02-2009, 07:22 AM
str8jailbird

I have a Baja 5B SS that has well over $2200 in it, I love it. I also have a Rampage MT that has around $1900 in it, I love it as well. Lastly I still have my LST2 that has right around $1500 in it, I still love that truck too. I still run the LST2 but nowhere near as much as I used to. I used to go through a gallon of Nitro a week. A gallon of Nitro now lasts me about 3-4 months. Gassers are definately the way to go. And trust me, you may have drawn a crowd with a Nitro, it's nothing compared to the spectators when you drive a 1/5 gasser, plus the 40-45 minute run times ROCK!
Old 03-02-2009, 12:09 PM
monsterbrad

I want the SS buggy also just so I can build one.
Let her drive the 5T and I will drive the buggy.
Maybe next year.
Till then the 5T will have to do.
Waiting for nicer weather so I can drag race the LST and the 5T and see who is faster.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:31 PM
tntjz3

ORIGINAL: str8jailbird

I have a Baja 5B SS that has well over $2200 in it, I love it. I also have a Rampage MT that has around $1900 in it, I love it as well. Lastly I still have my LST2 that has right around $1500 in it, I still love that truck too. I still run the LST2 but nowhere near as much as I used to. I used to go through a gallon of Nitro a week. A gallon of Nitro now lasts me about 3-4 months. Gassers are definately the way to go. And trust me, you may have drawn a crowd with a Nitro, it's nothing compared to the spectators when you drive a 1/5 gasser, plus the 40-45 minute run times ROCK!
Is your Rampage MT better than the Baja in your opinion? I was thinking about getting the Rampage MT because it's a MT. I know they don't have them in kit form, but if it's fast, maybe I would think about it. The videos I have seen on youtube make them look a bit slow. I know they are 4x4, and heavier, but how fast is it compaired to your Baja?
Old 03-02-2009, 06:51 PM
str8jailbird

Wow, I get asked this all the time. They are apples and oranges as I tell everyone. Top speed the honors go to the Baja. Both are geared stock but my Baja is pushing in the mid to high 40's where the Ramp is in the mid to high 30's. That may sound slow but when you consider this behometh weighs in at 35+ lbs that is not slow. My Ramp is deceptivly quick. I have a ported 28.5 big bore kit in it and a moddified rear dom on the way so that will give a tad higher top speed and a ton more acceleration. The 4 whell drive is AWESOME for handling but the 2 wheel drive on my Baja is just as fun. I see a lot of Baja owners say it is hard to control with the 26Fuelie and any engine mods. Well, it is. Driing the Baja and turning it is more throttle control than you would imagine. I also added Hoistle MX knobbies on the front and rear that make the car a ton more predictable to drive. No more unexpected spin outs. My Ramp is a blast. I haven't found a hill climb yet it won't tackle, a jump it can't land (within reason, lol) and is just plain fun. My Baja has gotten stuck halfway up a hillclimb (2 wheel drive), but flies off a jump and may catch you off guard as to the altitude. The Baja is a little trickier to jump. If you aren't ready and don't stay on the throttle the Baja likes to act like a lawn dart. Other than that I love them both. Really a blast to drive.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:56 PM
Nitro Fumes

I've got one nitro and one 1/5 scale gas. I race my nitro (Losi XXX-NT AD2) and bash my gas (1/5 scale HPI Baja 5B).

Old 03-02-2009, 09:11 PM
plasma 327

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have two gasser's and two nitros since thinning the herd, and although the gasser's are alot of fun.... There is still nothing like the smell of nitro and 15 foot tall jump in the air or a 12 turn tumble at WOT that a nitro can give you!!!! I would not have one without the other!!!!!!
Keep your nitro, I think you will regret getting rid of it!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30454.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	1148941  
Old 03-02-2009, 10:27 PM
46u

I have a total of 30 something hobby grade RC vehicles only because I sold some of them! [X(] 3 of my nitros I race just got my first 1/5 scale a HPI Baja 5B SS have over $1,600 in it an still not ready to run it till I get it like I want it. I figure when I am done with all 3 phases I will have around $2,600 in it. This is not counting a radio I all ready had. One thing is for sure 1/5 scale is a lot more expensive then 1/8 only thing that is cheaper is fuel. [X(]
Old 03-03-2009, 10:44 PM
silverman1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I almost bought a 5b baja, but I have concerns about space, noise. I do agree that gas would be much cheaper to run, easier to tune etc. But they are intimidating in size, and I am afraid parents, and the local authorities might be troublesome. Lets just say for now Im torn. If I do sell majority of my nitros I will keep the Losi LST1, the revo with the rb 323 motor and pipe kit, and the 1/8 inferno gt austin martin, they make stunning shelf queens, actually I would not mind ownig the whole set of them even though Im more of an offroad guy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.