Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

thinking about making a weedeater powered truck

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

thinking about making a weedeater powered truck

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 08:11 PM
neyou86
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thinking about making a weedeater powered truck

im thinking about making a truck with a weed whip motor on it but i cant figure out how to mount the motor or how to put a clutch on it. also if anyone has done a project like this could you post some pics
Old 03-10-2009, 10:02 PM
Dirty_Vinylpusher

Default RE: thinking about making a weedeater powered truck

Hey hey.

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8418631/tm.htm]This[/link] project of mine started out with a weedwacker motor without a clutch, but I soon realised that it wasn't gonna be good enough.
It got replaced in favour of a 47cc chainsaw engine.
I'm currently waiting for my new sprockets and wheels to arrive in the post so I can start building the real thing as the stuff you'll see in the pics/videos in this thread were just a prototype to see how things were gonna work.
I'm also going to ditch the frame setup for a solid aluminium plate instead.

However, [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8508330/tm.htm]this[/link] is a good example of how to set up a clutch without it actually being on the motor itself.
The guy who's building that car has built numerous other cars with weedwacker motors, and I'm sure he'll post some pics of them for you when he reads this.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:04 AM
Soloratov
My Feedback: (1)

Talk to DrewCrew, or find a few of his posts on his trucks. Very well done, and same general idea as you have.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:38 AM
drewcrew6

Thanks SOLO

Hey NEYOU

link to first shot at this [link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7951559/anchors_7951559/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#7951559[/link]

Same chassis plate but modified for testing a toro gearbox. [link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8397120/anchors_8397120/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#8397120[/link]

Big problem with ver 2 is front end I needed to raise it. Now a weak point and I still need to add braces.

What up VINYL gonna add your post on requesting pics [link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8493917/tm.htm[/link]

The Ryobi that I used already had a clutch, I burnt the bronze bushing in no time and found bearings that fit with a little help. The scary part about an external clutch is however you get the power to it that piece is always spinning and to me the clutch is a safety if something goes horrible at some point the clutch will "open up" and keep things from flying to far.

I have also found a 5:1 gearbox with built in clutch bell, they use them on scooters and pocket bikes. they look pretty hardy but you need a clutch and mounts on the motor. Some of the reason I'm gonna use a motor from one of them but with a cvt instead of the gearbox.

By the way look up Speedy.d here is a link to his build but he han't shown anything lately so Im not sure where he is at. We need updates speedy!!

Goodluck running out of time for now will get back on later.

Drewcrew6

Old 03-11-2009, 12:07 PM
Lars from Norway

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The urge to "show off" woke up in me too now,hehe.[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7681456/tm.htm]Here[/link] is a car i have built/i am building now,take a look later in the thread to see the newest engine i use,the first one is without housing as you can see.

Are you going to build the car yourself or are you going to put the engine in an already excisting car as "drewcrew6" have done?
Old 03-11-2009, 04:07 PM
Dirty_Vinylpusher

Hey Drew.
Patiently waiting for my new wheels and sprocket & chain here so I can start rebuilding.

I hope Sam doesn't mind me adding these links for his previous builds.
I studied these very closely when I first started out with my project.

[link=http://scooters.tziworld.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2179]ONE[/link]

[link=http://scooters.tziworld.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2218&sid=d6be1aa87b39914d8db3adb4ff249a21]TWO[/link]

[link=http://scooters.tziworld.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2410]THREE[/link]

And [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9pX5EBKzoM]this[/link] is possibly one of the funniest home builds I've come across yet.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:19 PM
neyou86

im going to have to make the whole car since im just getting into the hobby
its not going to be anything fancy
Old 03-12-2009, 08:12 AM
drewcrew6

I think Lars is confused about my truck !!!!!

Anyway NEYOU
I am curious what type you are planning on a flat plate, a rail ,dunebuggy,other ?
Have you thought about the tires to use and how large?
Depending on size and what tire/rims a servo for steering can get rather large quickly ; I think servos are becoming my arch nemesis!!!!!!!!

Goodluck and keep us posted and bring your problems on here and I KNOW someone here will have a valid solution!!!

These guys are awesome at this stuff, I am just a sprouting seed!

Later
Drewcrew6
Old 03-12-2009, 04:30 PM
Lars from Norway

ORIGINAL: drewcrew6

I think Lars is confused about my truck !!!!!
Well,i am now!!What do you mean by this?Is there something i have misunderstood?
Old 03-12-2009, 08:30 PM
drewcrew6

Hey lars
Are you going to build the car yourself or are you going to put the engine in an already excisting car as "drewcrew6" have done?

That truck is getting really close to no rc parts at all. Except for radio and servos. The radio no choice, always need that but servos might build my own.

But anywho!

Drewcrew6
Old 03-13-2009, 12:08 PM
Lars from Norway

Ok!Ha ha,now i see
Old 03-13-2009, 04:45 PM
neyou86

i dont know if im still gunna do this because im buying a nitro buggy but if the motor quits i will definitely do this project. how much have ur projects cost so far?
Old 03-13-2009, 08:31 PM
drewcrew6

ver 1 I had about $150 into it not including the radio, servos, gearbox ,1 set of tires and front hubs that were taken from a nitro that I had.
The biggest cost was beadlock rc rims(total of $100 with tires and adapters) so I could go to a larger hex as I just kept destroying rims at the hex.

ver 2 about $125 for gears ,gearbox, front hubs, and tires/rims.

However all of the alum I already had laying around from other things.

The next ver will be a bit more expensive but it is going to be fresh start, different motor, servos, chassis, well everything except the radio tx and rx. Also considerably larger.
I figure about $200 - $300.

Drewcrew6
Old 03-13-2009, 10:58 PM
Dirty_Vinylpusher

Yeah mine (although it's nothing but a pile of bits at the moment) will probably end up around the $500 Aus mark... ($300US)
Including radiobits and everything.

Actually probably more by the time it's finished.

Don't let that put you off though - as long as you have the patience (Mine is being tested a lot) to wait until you have the money you'll be right.

Old 03-13-2009, 11:58 PM
Soloratov
My Feedback: (1)

Damn guys....make me look bad. By the end of my project...I'm figuring 1200-1500 for my truck. That doesn't even include all the freebie stuff I get through work, like the frame materials and some of the billet aluminum I machined. Granted, I was willing to do this because of my pre-arranged goals I set for this thing. The 4 requirements I have to meet when completed are making this truck both expensive, and very hard to design. I wouldn't be surprised if I hit the 2k mark by the end, but after seeing the store at RC4WD.com, who could blame me! (Hope that little plug is ok, their stuff is so well made I just had to.)

Hey Drew, you mentioned homemade servos...whats your plan for that? I need something BIG, had been looking into the Tonegawa servos, and they are perfect, just very costly.
Old 03-14-2009, 12:08 AM
neyou86

ive heard of using winshield wipers for servos. apparently they have alot of power
Old 03-14-2009, 06:50 AM
Dirty_Vinylpusher

ive heard of using winshield wipers for servos
Yeah [link=http://www.fieroaddiction.com/buggy.html]this[/link] car has that.
He explains how to do it [link=http://www.fieroaddiction.com/servo.html]here[/link].

That's all a bit too much for me though....

Old 03-14-2009, 07:31 AM
drewcrew6

Thinking a few different ideas the wiper motor is one. If I had the cash I would do a Tonegawa 50, $200 is a bit much for me right now. If I find the right deal then thats the way I'll go. The Electronics I can handle between my crackerjack skills in it and some guys from work would help if need be. Either way I'm not sure how to do a servo saver that is strong enough yet offer protection.

Can anyone navigate tecel's site I get forbidden acces on almost all its pages?

Drewcrew6