Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

FG bumper on hpi baja

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 02:43 AM
rawpwr
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FG bumper on hpi baja

has anyone tried a fg bumper on a hpi baja? i had a fg monster beetle and that bumper seemed to hold up good. so i was thinking about doing this mod to my baja
Old 03-18-2009, 04:34 PM
Lars from Norway

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: FG bumper on hpi baja

You try first,and let us others knowI have used this bumper on my FG Marder,pretty solid,FG claims it is unbreakable
Old 03-18-2009, 05:59 PM
SAVAGEJIM

I bought the MT upgrade bumper set, the one that also connects to the front shock tower. That is one tough bumper, the oly problem I have is there are no crumple zones on the tubes that connect from the bumper to the front shock tower. So, when I hit smething, the forces are directly transmitted from the front bumper to the shock tower, which in turn transfers its force to the TVPs. And the TVPs thus bow out from buckling, making the FG look fatter, at least until you dismount them and flatten them back again.

As for the stock simple plastic bumper, I moved the stock one to the back since FGs do not even have a rear bumper.

Something I though about is trying to see if I could adapt a 5T bumper set to the FG MT. Though the 5T bumper is funny looking, it is designed to crumple by bowing up so that all the forces are not transmitted to the TVPs.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:23 PM
rawpwr

this is the one that im thinking about trying
http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.88...t.A/id.1986/.f
Old 03-18-2009, 09:16 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Yeah, that is the bumper I have too. I also have the buggy-type bumper which is a curved looking piece. Both of these are okay, they are more like front skid plates if anything. But as for actually absorbing frontal hits, they are way too easily overcome by the impact force.

But considering the HPI 5B does not even have a front bumper, this would give it something in addition to functioning like a front skid plate.
Old 03-19-2009, 04:50 AM
splcrazy

talking about FG bumpers my friend just bought a brand new FG yesterday the lucky son of a B lol . and tommorow i'll be making a real beasty alloy front bumber for it tig welded and constructed by me . damn i keep telling myself i need to make a bunch and sell on ebay .
Old 03-19-2009, 09:01 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Whenever you get it made, mount it up and post it!

As for impact absorption, I suggest you include some sort of plastic component to flex and take the forces, and then return to its original shape.
Or alternatively, is using all metal, using articulation with spring loadings (using strong springs) so that the bumper will in this case also return to its original position.
Maybe a scissor-like action with springs at the hinges, and to toughen up the stiffness to absorb more forces, more springs on the remaining hinges.

I wonder if a telescoping type mechanism is possible? Like a shock design? Or a combination of shock and scissor mechanism?
So many geometric possibilities, I will have to play with them to see what kind of force absorption multipliers I can dream-up.

When you do make the bumper, I defo want to see it! Damn, Im inspired now, Im going to log off for a min or so to see if I can dream up a hardy bumper that can be made by materials bought at a hardware store and welded.
Bear with me, I know nothing about welding, so, any of you welders who can chime in, correct me where I am wrong in my choice of materials and the feasibility of welding by way of MIG or TIG or whatever else weld is appropriate.
Old 03-20-2009, 02:22 AM
rawpwr

ORIGINAL: SAVAGEJIM

Whenever you get it made, mount it up and post it!

As for impact absorption, I suggest you include some sort of plastic component to flex and take the forces, and then return to its original shape.
Or alternatively, is using all metal, using articulation with spring loadings (using strong springs) so that the bumper will in this case also return to its original position.
Maybe a scissor-like action with springs at the hinges, and to toughen up the stiffness to absorb more forces, more springs on the remaining hinges.

I wonder if a telescoping type mechanism is possible? Like a shock design? Or a combination of shock and scissor mechanism?
So many geometric possibilities, I will have to play with them to see what kind of force absorption multipliers I can dream-up.

When you do make the bumper, I defo want to see it! Damn, Im inspired now, Im going to log off for a min or so to see if I can dream up a hardy bumper that can be made by materials bought at a hardware store and welded.
Bear with me, I know nothing about welding, so, any of you welders who can chime in, correct me where I am wrong in my choice of materials and the feasibility of welding by way of MIG or TIG or whatever else weld is appropriate.
Hmmmmmmm!! now you got me thinking, something like on a 1/1 car bumper. ill be ordering a fg bumper next week and see if it will work.
Old 03-20-2009, 03:16 PM
raptor 8

I mounted up a fg front bumper last year sometime, fit and finish is perfect.

Old 03-20-2009, 03:21 PM
Lars from Norway

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good,it is "enough" bumper for this car in my opinionWell,maybe it could have been a tad more forwards to take the impact a little bit before the wheels does it.Very nice Baja by the way!
Old 03-20-2009, 03:50 PM
raptor 8

It is very strong, have hit lots of rocks, bushes, etc, never once had any problem. Cheap and strong. Perfect in my opinion.
Old 03-20-2009, 06:02 PM
rawpwr

man im loving it!!!!! it looks good on the baja. thanks for the pics... i know how strong those fg bumpers are and for $13 you cant go wrong. what mods and cutting did you have to do? do you have any pics of the underneath
Old 03-20-2009, 06:08 PM
SAVAGEJIM

If anything, just a simple drill and adding nuts and bolts of the proper diameter.

I am sure he used the existing holes on the front end of the 5B, simply drilled holes into the plastic FG bumper, and bolted it right up! At least that is how I was able to mount that same bumper on the rear of my 2WD FG.

I think he said it bolted staright up, so the holes, if anything, are a perfect match for the 5B. I hope he comes back to confirm.
Old 03-20-2009, 06:21 PM
rawpwr

ORIGINAL: SAVAGEJIM

If anything, just a simple drill and adding nuts and bolts of the proper diameter.

I am sure he used the existing holes on the front end of the 5B, simply drilled holes into the plastic FG bumper, and bolted it right up! At least that is how I was able to mount that same bumper on the rear of my 2WD FG.

I think he said it bolted staright up, so the holes, if anything, are a perfect match for the 5B. I hope he comes back to confirm.
yeah i also used a front bumper on the rear of my fg monster, worked really good. i'm sure it's simple to bolt it up on my baja, but tell it gets here it's going to drive me nuts thinking how I'm going to do it lol
Old 03-20-2009, 06:27 PM
raptor 8

I added and drilled nothing, direct bolt on. Just had to use a little longer bolts and put a couple flat washers on the bolts. DIRECT FIT.
Old 03-20-2009, 06:28 PM
rawpwr

NICE!!! thanks for the reply
Old 03-21-2009, 10:53 AM
SAVAGEJIM

I drew up some initial looks for a custom bumper, I only did it for looks right now. I didnt do a side rendition yet.
I havent bothered with calculating the loadings on the members yet since I am still toying with how they should look.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pm34702.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	1162538  
Old 03-21-2009, 10:59 AM
SAVAGEJIM

Also, I have yet to even toy with crumple zones to asorb the KE from frontal hits, so the longitudinal bars as shown right now are not what will be on a more final design.

I am seriously considering a scissor-bridge kind of set-up or even a conventional cross-scissors setu-up.
I know, such things will be expensive due to the materials I have in mind and the amount of parts that need to be made as well as the number of parts there will be. But this is only an excercise of trying to come up with a means to effectively absorb the crash. If I want to possible toy with the idea for mass production and cost consideration, I will daydream up ideas to simplify the design.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:26 AM
rawpwr

that sounds good if you need any help or testers let me know. im willing to try anything once LMAO!!!!
Old 03-22-2009, 03:45 AM
splcrazy

hey i made the fg bumper for my friend but now im the one that owns his new truck lol i traded him one of my two modded up baja5b's . but now that you mention adding springs to the bumper bar so that if it takes a hit the front plate can be pushed in and absorb the impact before making any damage to the truck . Ive got an image in my head of how i can make this so i think i'll soon be constructing another version .

i also included a pic of a bumper for my 5B that i made
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77377.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	1163073   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83162.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	1163074   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch95031.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	1163075  
Old 03-22-2009, 07:19 PM
SAVAGEJIM

I like the bumper you actually have on your FG. As for the bumper, does it have some give so that it absorbes some of the the forces and prevents the rest from transferring to the rest of the RC?

It looks very hardy though.