Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

FG MT advice!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 04:36 AM
Fudge
My Feedback: (104)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FG MT advice!!

I have a FG MT5 with the stock 26cc engine in it, and have a few questions, that I wanted to see what you guys think about it!!
I am looking for a new pipe, and advice? what pipes are you guys using and what kind of results do you get?
also wheely bar for that truck, does any one know if they make, or where can I get a wheely bar for the truck (I know FG makes one, but I was hoping for 2 wheels, the 1 wheels looks goofy)
and lastly 4 wheels disk brakes! does any one know if it is actually worth spending the extra money for hydraulic disk brakes, or if the cable operated disk brakes work just as well? also if hydraulic work better, where can i find them, I know they make them, but could not find them only found the cable brakes!!
well let me know what you think about any or all of these questions!!
Old 03-18-2009, 05:08 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: FG MT advice!!

ORIGINAL: Fudge

I have a FG MT5 with the stock 26cc engine in it, and have a few questions, that I wanted to see what you guys think about it!!
I am looking for a new pipe, and advice? what pipes are you guys using and what kind of results do you get?
also wheely bar for that truck, does any one know if they make, or where can I get a wheely bar for the truck (I know FG makes one, but I was hoping for 2 wheels, the 1 wheels looks goofy)
and lastly 4 wheels disk brakes! does any one know if it is actually worth spending the extra money for hydraulic disk brakes, or if the cable operated disk brakes work just as well? also if hydraulic work better, where can i find them, I know they make them, but could not find them only found the cable brakes!!
well let me know what you think about any or all of these questions!!
Pipe... I run a dominator torque pipe on mine, it's incredibly powerful, power increase was in the region of 30% I would guess, but it's LOUD! So I developed some tubing in order to use a DDM silencer on it, and it worked well. Other great pipes are the RN ones, but good luck finding those. The people who used to make RN pipes (victory RC) are now distributing new products (the same pipes with minor differences, just not marketed as RN anymore) through pro5thscale.com. They are good choices too. The FG 'tuning' pipes are ok as well, and very quiet. Not as much torque as the dominator, and not as much top end as the RNs, but good power throughout the range, and low noise.

Here's the thread where I silenced the torque pipe, it's not perfect, the coupler tends to rip when landing from jumps, but you can see how it is possible to fit a torque pipe, a wheely bar, a silencer AND a wing on the back of an MT5... [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7670857/anchors_7670857/mpage_1/key_dominator%252Csilencer%252Cmod/anchor/tm.htm#7670857]Thread.[/link]

As for wheely bars, the FG one is the best (as seen on my car above) as far as I know. Personally I think the two wheeled ones look goofy, but hey, it's a good thing we don't all have the same tastes.

4 wheel disk brakes aren't really worth it in my opinion. When I put front cable brakes on mine, I had no need for any additional braking, it stopped very enthusiastically. Hydraulic are better, but bitier, and more maintenance, not to mention tricky to install properly. On low traction surfaces a lot of racers are using the cable brakes because the hydros are too 'grabby'.

There are many places to get all this stuff online. Try ddm (davesmotors.com) and pro5th.com, but there are others and actually, the best selection of stuff can be found at European outlets like rc-car-online.de and pitstop-shop.nl.

Hope that helps.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:18 AM
bajamaniac69

using jet pro v2.....great power thru the power band...............

good luck with your choice............

J
Old 03-18-2009, 07:07 AM
tom111

I have 4 disk brakes on my FG MT, I think it worth spending the extra money for the hydraulic brakes since it is very hard to adjust all 4 brakes to stop at once & pull evenly in all wheels, if you get one brake that will pull harder than the others so the car will spin & won’t stop in a straight line, I think that the hydraulic is easier to adjust…

For the pipe I have a top end DDM dominator pipe, it is great, but it is all depends on when you want the power, there are pipes for “low end†“mid range†or “high endâ€â€¦
Old 03-18-2009, 12:54 PM
Fudge

well thanx guys your info was helpful, but like every local I talked to you all run different pipes!!
the brakes and such, people agree for the most part but when it comes to pipes, everyone run something different!!
I guess I will see what others have to say, then just go and buy one, since i guess they all sound good!!
Actually any one of a bad pipe? one i should definitely NOT buy?
Old 03-18-2009, 01:53 PM
clubin

I am running a Dominator top end pipe, the DOminator's all make serious power. I have cable discs on all 4 corners of my MB pro, I couldn't justify putting hydro's on it and bashing it in the gravel pit's the way I do.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:17 PM
Fudge

ORIGINAL: clubin

I am running a Dominator top end pipe, the DOminator's all make serious power. I have cable discs on all 4 corners of my MB pro, I couldn't justify putting hydro's on it and bashing it in the gravel pit's the way I do.
and have you noticed any pull or anything with the brakes?
are they really that hard to adjust so they all grab equally?
Old 03-18-2009, 04:19 PM
clubin

I have no complaints about the brakes, and they are very easy to set up.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:43 PM
Fudge

ORIGINAL: clubin

I have no complaints about the brakes, and they are very easy to set up.
well either I was misinformed or you are smarter than most people, either way, i will go cable instead of hydro!!
Makes sense, if i screw up the truck I would rather have to buy new cable brakes, than hydro, and they are cheaper to maintain, and I guess easy to tune!!
thanx again for your help!!
Old 03-18-2009, 04:49 PM
migurami23

I have the fg front cable tuning brakes on my fg leopard and they work really good.
My friend has the hydro brakes and he loves them, me I just don’t have the money to get
Hydros and if I did, to tell you the truth I don’t think that I would get them. Cable brakes work well. I agree with foxy all you really need are front brakes. I say you Get the front brakes first and take it from their, and if you feel that you need more stopping power then get the back brakes but I really think that you will be happy with the front breaks that’s all you really need in my opinion.

Old 03-18-2009, 05:34 PM
Fudge

ORIGINAL: migurami23

I have the fg front cable tuning brakes on my fg leopard and they work really good.
My friend has the hydro brakes and he loves them, me I just don’t have the money to get
Hydros and if I did, to tell you the truth I don’t think that I would get them. Cable brakes work well. I agree with foxy all you really need are front brakes. I say you Get the front brakes first and take it from their, and if you feel that you need more stopping power then get the back brakes but I really think that you will be happy with the front breaks that’s all you really need in my opinion.

ok you might be right, my only problem, is with the diff brake, when stopping, one wheel gets more traction, than the other, and one spins back, and the truck pulls to one side !!
and it isn't predictable, one time it will pull to the left, and the next time to the right when stopping!!
so I though I would pull the diff brake off, and go with 4 wheel disk (and it would look cooler) but I think I might try just the front to see how I like them, and if I need the rear then I'll spend the money on the rear!!
Old 03-18-2009, 05:49 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Like the others above me, I too have the DDM Dominator pipe on my 2WD FG, the torque one like Foxy has (I will have to check it again, I could have the mid-top range one)
Another good pipe that I enjoy is FG's own tuned pipe (that one came on my FG comp). But personally, I like the feel of the Dominator pipe better.

As for the 4wheel braks, I will jump on the bandwagon on this because on both of my FGs, I have the mechanical 4wheel brakes. And they are great over the stock one, at least for me. They take some hard braking abouse but still keep on working. As a matter of fact, on my 4WD FG, I was running alot of speed passes up and down the road one day, and the for the amount of hard braking I was doing, I was smelling the semi-metallic pads burning up! But I let those cool off and when I started running again, the pads were not phased at all!
As for adjusting them, they are really easy. Since they pivot on the cable holding block, the left and right side discs equlize rather easily. The only tough part is adjusting the front and rear braks sets so they actuate in sync. If you have a 3ch radio, you can use brake mixing to make the task much easier.
If you want the disc brakes but dont want to spend THAT much, what you can do is buy only the front brake upgrade option and for the rear, use the stock fiberglass universal brake wheel. That way, you pay half as much but still get brakes for all 4 wheels.

As for that one fiberglass disc brake only stopping one wheel whole the other still turns, the only thing I can think of to eliminate that is to go with a locked diff. Or if you are willing to spend more, get one of those sealed adjustable FG alum diffs (Those aernt cheap though[] ).
Old 03-18-2009, 05:49 PM
migurami23

I know what you mean. Don’t let the car do what it wants you tell it what to do
When you stop just turn the wheel in the direction that you want the car to turn I believe that it’s called power sliding, when you have front brakes its fun as hell. You won’t be disappointed with the front brakes.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:09 PM
Foxy

The trick with the rear driveline brake is to set it so it doesn't lock the driveline completely. Rely on front cable brakes to do most of the stopping and the rear just to assist, like a real car.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:14 PM
Fudge

how much for the adjustable diff, and where can I get one?
O and how do you like the 4WD kit?
is it worth the $1300?
Old 03-18-2009, 06:33 PM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: Fudge

how much for the adjustable diff, and where can I get one?
O and how do you like the 4WD kit?
is it worth the $1300?
Check out this one from BigBoyToys
http://j.b5z.net/i/u/2162054/i/8603_...fferential.pdf
I also found this diff locking kit on FGSupply:
http://www.fgsupply.com/Conversions-...cking_set.html
Also this one
http://www.wheelspinmodels.co.uk/ite...ck-Diff__58ea/

I have no clue if the oncs from FGSupply and Wheelspinmodels are for FG cars or MTs. I myself have not tried them. (I like the control when going into turns)
Here is a link to a locked diff, but this one is for cars. http://www.kp-designs.co.uk/differential.html

As for the 4WD kit, the $1375 is a steep price, but that one is probably the most reliable 4WD upgrade kit short of buying the 4WD comp version out-right.
I Assume you are talking about this kit, Also from BigBoyToys:
http://www.bigboystoysandhobbies.com/fg_4x4_kit
(This was the kit I was considereing buying myself to upgrade my 2WD FG MT to 4WD).
Old 03-18-2009, 06:33 PM
Foxy

Well, before you spend money on an expensive diff, consider this. It's what I use and it is just fine for general messing around. It gives a nice medium action to the stock diff. [link=http://www.rc-car-online-shop.de/cgi-bin/cosmoshop/lshop.cgi?action=showdetail&wkid=19371&ls=e&nc=1237418706-19746&rubnum=&artnum=fg_6512&file=&gesamt_zeilen=0Tsuchefg%20adjustable]FG Diff Locking Grease.[/link]

If you want the adjustable diff, here ya go... [link=http://www.rc-car-online-shop.de/cgi-bin/cosmoshop/lshop.cgi?action=showdetail&wkid=19371&ls=e&nc=1237418706-19746&rubnum=&artnum=fg_8485_05&file=&gesamt_zeilen=0Tsuchefg%20adjustable]FG Adjustable Diff.[/link]

And the kit to convert standard plastic diff to adjustable... [link=http://www.rc-car-online-shop.de/cgi-bin/cosmoshop/lshop.cgi?action=showdetail&wkid=19371&ls=e&nc=1237418706-19746&rubnum=&artnum=fg_8485_01&file=&gesamt_zeilen=0Tsuchefg%20adjustable]Conversion kit.[/link]

I'm considering a diff replacement soon myself, and I have also been considering this... It's like the diffs in other RCs, sealed and takes silicone oil. I was just going to stick something heavy in it (30k) and forget about it. [link=http://www.rc-car-online-shop.de/cgi-bin/cosmoshop/lshop.cgi?action=showdetail&wkid=19371&ls=e&nc=1237419149-21445&rubnum=&artnum=elc_18500&file=&gesamt_zeilen=0Tsucheelcon%20differential]Elcon viscous diff for FG.[/link]

As for the 4wd kit, I haven't seen any feedback on it yet, but the 4wd FG models supplied as a 4wd that I have seen are truly awesome. I think it is probably worth the money, and either that or a full FG Baja comp is also on my shopping list for the not too distant future.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:37 PM
Foxy

Wait a second... Is the 'FG' 4wd kit out yet? Or do you mean one of the third party 4wd kits? If you mean a 3rd party kit, stay away.

Edit: I just checked, allegedly the FG 4wd conversion kit will be out in the next few weeks and should be quite affordable, around the $500 mark I would guess, can't be sure until it's out though.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:48 PM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: Foxy

Wait a second... Is the 'FG' 4wd kit out yet? Or do you mean one of the third party 4wd kits? If you mean a 3rd party kit, stay away.
The one from BigBoyToys is 3rd party. I agree with you on staying away from 3rd party, well, based on people's direct experience with Kamitiro chain kit (GasJockey has documented very well the faults in one of his threads). But as for the BigBoyToys, that one from what I can gather is a bit more legit, even true to what FG has in mind for 4WD, but chain driven instead. This one kit is rather new to me, I have not heard of it until this past x-mas.

As for FG actually letting out a 4WD kit, that would be great, I definitely too would prefer that over the 3rd parties.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:52 PM
Foxy

Well, you can't order it yet, but it's supposed to be part number 68500.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:52 PM
Fudge

yes that is the 4wd kit!!
I didn't know they made more than one version!! do they?
Old 03-18-2009, 06:53 PM
Fudge

Well, you can't order it yet, but it's supposed to be part number 68500.
where did you find the FG kit, do you have a link for it?
Old 03-18-2009, 06:55 PM
Foxy

Here ya go, but like I say, you can't own it yet... [link=http://www.rc-car-online-shop.de/lshop,showdetail,22730,e,1237419573-23031,kami.kami_kit,fg_68500,,Tshowrubkami.kami_ki t,.htm]FG 4wd conversion kit for monster models.[/link]

The link says kami in it for some reason, but this is not the kami kit (you can tell by the FG part number).
Old 03-18-2009, 07:01 PM
Fudge

crap it's in europe![&o]
but it says you can pre-order it!!
I think I might actually pre-order one, I just got find out the conversion for the $$!!
do you know the conversion to USD?
Old 03-18-2009, 07:04 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Here ya go, but like I say, you can't own it yet... [link=http://www.rc-car-online-shop.de/lshop,showdetail,22730,e,1237419573-23031,kami.kami_kit,fg_68500,,Tshowrubkami.kami_ki t,.htm]FG 4wd conversion kit for monster models.[/link]

****DROOL!****[sm=tongue_smile.gif]

I cant wait until that comes out!
I wonder if that kit will be able to accept the 4shock front wishbone shock arrangement? I want to keep my 8shock suspension setup that my 2WD FG currently has.

I really like the loks of this kit, it has everything the comp version does, well, inplastic form at least.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.