Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

Predator RC SSV2 Baja 1/5 Scale Review

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Predator RC SSV2 Baja 1/5 Scale Review

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 12:15 AM
like2race

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Predator RC SSV2 Baja 1/5 Scale Review

Thought I would share Just bought a 1/5 Scale Baja buggy from Predator RC in Australia. https://www.predatorrc.com.au/produc...roducts_id=167
The owner reakons I am the second to buy one of these here .i am pleased with the value and the build quality much the same as KM Buggy but seems a whole lot better.I went for this one because it has the CY style engine so i can utilise the upgrades availlable . I sold my KM to a mate and kept the clone Rear Dominator and goin to fit it once run in then it should rip and i can compare to my HPI SS
The body colour is growing on me and is a little thicker material than the KM
will post some pics shortly and let you know the durabillity of the 26cc engine and the diff is an alloy one .the sway bars have only one size but i can use my spares from my SS .big capacity metal geared servos 22kg and 13 kg better than the norm. Failsafe well pulled that straight out and replacing with a pb,s kill switch these are a must if you ask me.
Anyways looks awesome I,m happy .
Heres some pics

Click image for larger version

Name:	like2race-baja2.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	2238641

Click image for larger version

Name:	like2race-baja.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	2238642
Old 03-25-2009, 05:59 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Predator RC SSV2 Baja 1/5 Scale Review

Big difference between a CY and a CY style engine. Keep us posted.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:22 PM
bryan70546
My Feedback: (4)

Not to bad looking looks just like a baja ss
Old 03-25-2009, 09:24 PM
wyattroa

ORIGINAL: 46u

It wasnt too long ago that all the fan boys of zenoah were bashing the cy.. saying it is crap and wont last... that was also the same thing said by the mcd and fg guys when the real hpi baja came out.. most of them have no come around.
robert
Old 03-25-2009, 09:58 PM
SAVAGEJIM

I dont think it was bashing per se, it was observations that Zen users and CY users were expressing. Out of unmodded engines on the market, the Zen is still the best, followed by CY, then all the others behind these two. Remeber Solo engines? I dont even know where the heck they are anymore, but Zen and CY both out lasted Solo.

But lets face it, Zen is still the best stock engine. A stock CY is not a Zen, but a CY is also not a complete POS as you suggest people might have bashed on, it does offer more reliability and durability than the cloned engines.
Given a choice of Zen or CY, I personally would choose a Zen. Even for modding, I personally would take a Zen over CY, especially the 4bolt marines as a base or the newer 240 and 270 4bolts. Buy also, modders have been doing some crazy things with CYs as well; TS, Oddified, ESP, etc. have milked these engines to the max, pulling as much as 6-7HP out of them when tested on a dyno.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:24 PM
46u

I know I read a WHOLE lot more problems with the clone engines then I do with the CY engines. One thing for sure if you buy a REAL HPI Baja if there is a problem with the engine HPI has such good customer service they replace them. What do the clone companies do in this situation??????????

One day I will have a Zen 4 bolt after I practice on porting the cheaper CY and when they make a 36mm bore kit for it.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:34 PM
ZX9RBART

I know I read a WHOLE lot more problems with the clone engines then I do with the CY engines. One thing for sure if you buy a REAL HPI Baja if there is a problem with the engine HPI has such good customer service they replace them. What do the clone companies do in this situation??????????

One day I will have a Zen 4 bolt after I practice on porting the cheaper CY and when they make a 36mm bore kit for it.
The company I deal with will replace it. Not to say that the replacement is any better though.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:02 AM
like2race

yes for sure just did not want to say clone i suppose. i went for this Baja as at least i can modd the engine easilly km and sq have the dzy engine .This is as close to the HPI engine you can get
If i was to start from scratch I would go the Zen Engine though .just depend on the $,s you want to spend
Cheers and thanks for all the comments[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 03-26-2009, 07:29 AM
benckiesbajas

nice pic,s

the cy clone motor in my opinion is much better then the clone motor in the km baja, and its better for using after marked clutches like the eclon as you can remove the clutch housing unlike the km clone motor.

these new clones are much better then the km clone, alloy diff better stronger metal gear serovs, sway bar kits, these are the first upgrades well all do tho the km bajas and bonus these have a better motor liek to old kms, but newer
Old 03-26-2009, 03:08 PM
TCB 81

Ive been looking at these for a while now even posted some post asking what people thought about them Ive been trying to find out so much about this i even got accused of owning or working for the company. i wish i did but I'm afraid not lol anyway its good to see someone bought one and can put it to the test cant wait till you can give more info on the new clone baja ss

ps. i thought the Chassie was orange on them yours is black just wondering why.
Old 03-26-2009, 03:41 PM
46u

On the HPI 5B SS chassis the color is gun metal. I would love to here from someone that owns one of these and a HPI to give a good comparison. Is there any one here in the states that stock these? The price I have seen on eBay with shipping better off paying the $150 to $200 more and get the 5B SS.

If some one wants to make a very good deal I will test any clone and compare it to the HPI and give an honest opinion.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:42 AM
like2race

ORIGINAL: TCB 81

Ive been looking at these for a while now even posted some post asking what people thought about them Ive been trying to find out so much about this i even got accused of owning or working for the company. i wish i did but I'm afraid not lol anyway its good to see someone bought one and can put it to the test cant wait till you can give more info on the new clone baja ss

yeah the chassis is grey or gunmetal i have the HPI SS as well and the colour is pretty much the same colour matching Baja I like it
havent run it yet will get some time on weekend
Cheers
Old 03-27-2009, 07:19 AM
kg2mb

these clones are $899?Amainhobbies is selling the hpi baja rtr for 789.99 and the SS for $859.99..oh and they come with
hpi customer service/warrantee
Old 03-27-2009, 07:49 AM
Obeast44

The link shows the price in Aussie currency ,the price in US currency: $582

If I didnt already have an HPI , id definitely try one out.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:58 AM
benckiesbajas

i have had one of each the preditor clone it bettter money spent !!!
Old 03-27-2009, 08:59 AM
benckiesbajas

ORIGINAL: kg2mb

these clones are $899?Amainhobbies is selling the hpi baja rtr for 789.99 and the SS for $859.99..oh and they come with
hpi customer service/warrantee

your talking usd we are talking aud there is a big difrence !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!
Old 03-28-2009, 10:54 AM
TCB 81

ORIGINAL: benckiesbajas

i have had one of each the preditor clone it bettter money spent !!!
yeah i think a lot of ppl are getting the price mixed up between aus price and usa price i did the same thing at first then i found the usa price it is $582.00 rtr and the hpi baja ss is somewhere around $800-$900 dollars for the kit and you still need to buy radio and hump pack and charger that's why i was looking into the predator clone id save $300-$350 dollars and whatever the price of a radio is so probably id be saving more like $500-$600 dollars and it comes with everything I'm pretty sure ill be getting one of these I'm gonna hold off for a bit to see how it goes with like2race since he has both hpi and the predator and can compare.
Old 03-28-2009, 01:54 PM
TCB 81

is there anyone in the USA that deals with selling the predator cuz if you order from the predator website its $582 plus like $173 dollars shipping that's a total of $755 and on eBay they are $659 plus $49 dollars shipping that's a total of $708 but if there is someone in the U S that sells these it would be a lot cheaper i believe if anyone knows who might sell these in the USA please let me know thank you
Old 03-28-2009, 02:46 PM
Coopz

I'm ordering one on Monday HPI Bajas are still to dampricey in Australia, no price drop
Old 03-28-2009, 05:00 PM
Zonk

They certainly look like 1 of the better clones. Be good to see how the engine performs.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:09 AM
like2race

Took my preditor out today a fter running in 3/4 tank on the bench .First start after 4 pulls no problem.one thing i have noticed is that when my Hpi is on the ground and stationary my stock SS servo labours a bit turning the front wheels on this one and the KM i had they just turn from lock to lock no problem and fast as well how long they will last dunno sthey have some grunt
Any way ran another tank and a half in the park nothing dramatic[:@] a couple of rollovers and plenty of wheelspin as well, has a bit of grunt but want to see it rip when i fit the clone dominator My hpi ss i reakon handles better but have to run a bit more to see, need to pack out front wheel hubs a bit too much play
all in all nothing broke didnt touch any carby settings ran great and cant complain waiting for my pbkill switch and fit my pipe as soon as i can oh yeah and change the air filter and get some outerwears $$$

Cheers

amended ace servo should have been stock servo
Old 03-31-2009, 05:43 PM
TCB 81

this sucks i cant find anyone who sells the predator baja in the states it it will cost to much to ship to states.come on hobby shop owners get some of these in so i can buy one from ya lol
Old 04-01-2009, 04:30 AM
M0NAR0MAN

Try looking for a Rovan Baja. Predator is just the name someone selling them in oz has coined its not what they are actually called from the factory.
The latest models of these may actually be better than a HPI! They come with 29cc engine (36mm bore so its like a GP290) 2.4G radio as well as a host of upgrades like steel rollcage, dom copy pipe and all the SS upgrades. They will probably pop up on fleabay or wherever soon as most would still on the boats from China.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:57 PM
EngageRC

ksrc002 is the 29cc with roll cage and pipe. been available long ago.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:43 AM
like2race

ORIGINAL: EngageRC

ksrc002 is the 29cc with roll cage and pipe. been available long ago.
yes but different Engine

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.