Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

stock brake pads on 5B

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 03:51 AM
splcrazy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stock brake pads on 5B

what other material could i use to replace the pad material for a quick fix untill i get replacement , im thinking of using a strip of rubber and glueing that to the metal bit
Old 03-28-2009, 07:55 AM
toez71
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: stock brake pads on 5B

i traced the pads on the same thickness or just a tadd thicker piece of carbonfiber and cut them out, i have been runing carbon pads on my rtr since o7 and there still holding strong,,
Old 03-28-2009, 08:15 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeh, only carbon fibre really, rubber will melt.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:40 AM
splcrazy

Where can you get that carbon fibre . Im going to try the rubber tomorow and see how long it lasts
Old 03-28-2009, 09:41 AM
toez71
My Feedback: (4)

i just cut mine outta of some spare side guards i had from a harm onroad ...lol
Old 03-28-2009, 10:21 AM
hndaman1
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: splcrazy

Where can you get that carbon fibre . Im going to try the rubber tomorow and see how long it lasts

Full Force sell CF sheets. but then you might as well buy this..you can BUY IT DIRECTLY from vertigo also http://www.vertigoperformance.com/

http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.88...t.A/id.3551/.f

Old 03-28-2009, 05:03 PM
splcrazy

I cant see the rubber melting .its not like my baja is going to go 120kmh and have a stopping distance of over 100 meters to get boiling hot to melt lol . Im using good quality rubber i reckon it will grab hard and stop it in a second
Old 03-28-2009, 10:45 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

With carbon fiber I thought you only use metal pads or should I say lack of pads and only the caliper.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:10 AM
splcrazy

Okay DONT use replace the pads with rubber it doesnt work , it works for two minutes then the disk chews it up . I then got some unused brand new car brakes and superglued them to the metal bits then with a power sander i sanded the bakes down to the appropriate thickness and they work so excellent even better than the stock brake material that hpi use. mine grip really hard all the time locking the rear wheels up when i plant the brakes on , now i wish i never put that order in for new brake pads cos from now on ill just do what i just did
Old 03-29-2009, 01:10 AM
SAVAGEJIM

Wow, intersting concept! I hear of people doing it on 8th scales (for Savages with the steel disc brakes) and I have even adapted Revo semi-metallic brake pads on one of my Savages.

I know FGs and MCDs have semi-metallic brake pads as 4wheel disc brake upgrades. I will have to see if I can try this trick when I wear down my brake pads (I have some used brake pads for my full sized car in the garage, I wonder if I can hack-saw some small pieces and grind them down to the good parts? Sure would beat the heck of buying new brake sets!)

As for the CA glue, do those really hold the semi-metallic brake material to the calipers really well?

BTW, LOL at the rubber trick, that gave me a bit of a tickle!
Old 03-29-2009, 04:22 AM
splcrazy

ORIGINAL: SAVAGEJIM

Wow, intersting concept! I hear of people doing it on 8th scales (for Savages with the steel disc brakes) and I have even adapted Revo semi-metallic brake pads on one of my Savages.

I know FGs and MCDs have semi-metallic brake pads as 4wheel disc brake upgrades. I will have to see if I can try this trick when I wear down my brake pads (I have some used brake pads for my full sized car in the garage, I wonder if I can hack-saw some small pieces and grind them down to the good parts? Sure would beat the heck of buying new brake sets!)

As for the CA glue, do those really hold the semi-metallic brake material to the calipers really well?

BTW, LOL at the rubber trick, that gave me a bit of a tickle!
yep thats what i did i clamped the car brake pad on a vise then used a hack saw with a new blade to saw of the pad , then used the zap a gap ca + thick hobby grade superglue to glue it onto the metal bit , then used my small angle grinder with a 40grit flap disc and sanded it to size , just dont breath in the dust cos it goes everywhere , make sure you do it out side with a breeze behind you or a fan to blow away all the dust , then all you gotta do is drill the holes for the caliper pins to go thru, i made another set too for spares but i think i wont need it cos the set i made i think will last for 200 years lol