Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

mcd vs fg

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 12:06 PM
pagani77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mcd vs fg

i am looking at getting another truck and have narrowed it down to an fg monster and an mcd monster truck and was wondering which one would you choose thanks
Old 03-29-2009, 12:37 PM
tom111

Default RE: mcd vs fg

I would go with the MCD, if you consider the 2x4 FG so the advantage of the MCD is clear, if you consider the 4x4 FG, so it is a modification of the 2x4 to a 4x4 car, it has a belt rather than a main shaft like in a real 4wd, still I know it works quite well in the FG, but there is nothing to compare between the 2, the MCD is also quite bigger (you can see for the below photos) & they just recently announced the 2009 models which are really improved, you have several versions & you can go with the “ultimate†version which has all parts from alloy, all the new MCD monster models comes with infallibles tires which is nice & I think that the stock shocks on MCD are much better than the FG, in the FG they are just too hard for a off road car, you will need to do the adjustment.

One important thing – since FG has no main shaft the brakes are for each wheel separately, you will have either 4 separated brakes (for each wheel) or 3 (2 for the front wheels & one for the rear axle) I found it impossible to coordinate them all so they will brake evenly, so the car always spins to some direction when you brake, it might not happen with the hydraulic brakes in the FG, but this is a different story & really expensive, in the MCD the disc is on the shaft so it brakes all the 4 wheels evenly…

I have them both & I think that the quality of the MCD is better, in general they are both great cars, but you already figured that I prefer my MCD…
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81636.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	1168628   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq50077.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	1168629   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb74482.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	1168630   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ic83329.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	1168631   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ju12183.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	1168632  
Old 03-29-2009, 02:16 PM
clubin

I have both MCD is clumsy, not a good basher, expensive to fix, not very durable and customer service is non existant.
FG is a awsome basher, indestructible parts are reasonably priced considering their high quality.
Redcat is what I would suggest, parts are cheap and readily available, customer service is top notch they jump good, and are very durable.

These are mine:
FG, Redcat, MCD MT, MCD Baja in that order left to rite
Old 03-29-2009, 02:41 PM
la.rc.doc
My Feedback: (197)

The FG for sure.
Old 03-29-2009, 03:22 PM
tom111

ORIGINAL: clubin

I have both MCD is clumsy, not a good basher, expensive to fix, not very durable and customer service is non existant.
FG is a awsome basher, indestructible parts are reasonably priced considering their high quality.
Redcat is what I would suggest, parts are cheap and readily available, customer service is top notch they jump good, and are very durable.

These are mine:
FG, Redcat, MCD MT, MCD Baja in that order left to rite
The order in the pic is: FG, MCD MT, Redcat & MCD Baja, isn't it?
Old 03-29-2009, 03:58 PM
clubin

^^Yep OOPS^^ What he said. lol
Old 03-29-2009, 06:42 PM
SAVAGEJIM

I can attest that the FG is a good bashing vehicle for its price-to-quality consideration. For the most part, the FGs are quite tough and you have to be doing something stupid to break one. They can handle engines up to 26cc easily, and even with a good pipe on them, they still hold their own. Dropping in a modded engine with pipe can be a different story, but that is true for any other RC that does not have an upgraded drivetrain.

The FG 2WD is really a very good vehicle (price and quality considered together). Now, the Comp FG belt driven 4WD is also pretty bullit proof, proabably even more so, but it is considerably heavier as almost all of the plastic drivetrain housings and suspension arms are all alum alloy. But surprisingly, those alum arms a very robust, even from some tumbles and modeate hits, I have yet to bent any of the comp alloy arms. Furthermore, the alum drivetrain housings, engine mounts, gear carriers, handle torque of higher powered engines pretty well (much less flexure, if any). The comp is not cheap though, be prepared to spend around $2400 for the 4WD comp.
The 2WD MT is hovering just above $1000 today for ARTR (assembled with 26cc Zen engine included, but no electronics), which is really is not bad at all.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:21 AM
pagani77

thanks
Old 03-30-2009, 12:11 PM
SELWA
My Feedback: (1)

Keep in mind the FG 4WD non-comp models will be arriving soon. I'm looking to get the 4WD Baja non-rtr. After building a friends comp and having a few FG's, it's the right choice.

Old 03-30-2009, 06:32 PM
SAVAGEJIM

I too am waiting for those, actually, I am waiting for the upgrade kit to be in stock again with the sellers. I really want to upgrade my 2wd FG into 4wd

I guess I will have to keep on watching Pro5th, LSRC, DDM, FG supply, etc. like a hawk and see when they will start carrying them!
Someone linked some sites in Europe, but the last time I saw, they were out of stock []
Old 04-08-2009, 05:34 AM
pagani77

is 4x4 really necessary in these 5th scales
Old 04-08-2009, 07:27 PM
clubin

ORIGINAL: pagani77

is 4x4 really necessary in these 5th scales
No, I have alot of fun with my FG MB pro. the 2wd's are a different kind of fun.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:23 PM
SAVAGEJIM

For me personally, I love the controllability of 4wd, but yes, 2wd is a challenge and a whole different level of fun in itself. I know I can bust out my comp for all the 4wd fun I want, but there is a drive in me to also upgrade my 2wd MT with the new 4wd kit too!