Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

How to break in a new engine?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 10:53 AM
tom111

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to break in a new engine?

Hi,

I have recently purchased a new engine & I would like to know how do you break in your engine? I’ve done it before but I would like to make sure that I am doing it right this time… the gas \ oil ratio should be 1:25?, how many gas tanks should I run the engine for? Should I run it on half throttle all the time? Or can I get to full throttle for short periods? Do I need to turn it off & let it cool down after a while?

Thanks.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:08 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: How to break in a new engine?

Half a tank at no more than half throttle is fine, I usually run a full tank just to be sure on Zenoah engines. Some say you don't even need to do that with ringed engines, but I disagree, simly on the grounds that everything needs to bed in and settle. You don't need to cool it off or anything, just make sure the mixture is fairly rich for run-in (on the engine needles, factory settings should be fine). 25:1 is the right mixture.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:43 AM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

I just run the first tank on the easy side half throttle of less. These engines are not like a notro and do not take near as much run time. All then really need is to is seat the bearings and piston ring.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:35 PM
BigGrump

All then really need is to is seat the bearings and piston ring.

I agree with this. The most important thing to realize is the roller bearings and ball bearings used in the engines need to be run at slower speeds to loosen up so the races will not slip on the balls or rollers causing flat spots. Some of the top engine builders in the world point this out. Rowdy, the owner of RB engines speaks of this all the time, advising the balls can be flattened if slipped against the races, so that is why rpm's need to be limited for a while.

Dennis
Old 04-02-2009, 03:09 AM
tom111

Thanks guys, so one tank it is... anyway I will have to mesh in my new steel gears as well, so it is 2 birds with one stone...
Old 04-02-2009, 03:19 AM
Foxy

I don't know if this was specific to my model or not, but when I put the steel gears on one of my Rallies, the mesh was REAL tight. I had to run them hard for a few mins before they meshed properly (the car would barely roll, seriously). I worry a little bit if you will have the same tightness, that the extra strain on a new engine would not be particularly good for it. If you find the steel gears mesh nicely straight out of the box, I'd be interested to know. Maybe mine were machined with a slightly lower tolerance...?
Old 04-02-2009, 10:36 AM
tom111

Hi Foxy, thanks for the tip, I will keep you updated once I will get these metal gears, I will replace all the 4 so I do hope that they won’t be too tight especially with that new engine, I will update you on that…
Old 04-16-2009, 07:11 AM
tom111

This one is for Foxy – you asked about my metal gears meshing, so I installed all the 4 metal gears today & it seems like they move pretty smoothly, when I spin only one gear with minimal hand power all the 4 spin pretty good without any extra friction, the gears I installed are:

A: 27
B: 36
C: 23
D: 26

I guess it was either the way your gears were machined or something with the gear plate axles’ alignment???
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54052.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	1181249   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79897.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	1181250  
Old 04-21-2009, 03:26 AM
Foxy

Hm... Good to know. Thanks bud.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:52 AM
Mudgy

http://www.pacamor.com/index.php

http://www.pacamor.com/technical/lifeloadcalculator.php
Old 04-21-2009, 04:16 PM
clubin

ORIGINAL: tom111

This one is for Foxy – you asked about my metal gears meshing, so I installed all the 4 metal gears today & it seems like they move pretty smoothly, when I spin only one gear with minimal hand power all the 4 spin pretty good without any extra friction, the gears I installed are:

A: 27
B: 36
C: 23
D: 26

I guess it was either the way your gears were machined or something with the gear plate axles’ alignment???
Lookin good, I suppose those will be the last gear's you will ever buy. Great investment IMO.

FOXY, mine went on easy and turned free.. Might be a warped or distorted gear plate?