Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Is this an FG or not?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 06:46 PM
ZX9RBART

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this an FG or not?

I am looking at this car on craigslist and he says it is an FG but is not completely sure. Can anyone tell?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xu62654.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	1171401  
Old 04-02-2009, 07:17 PM
DarkFire989

Default RE: Is this an FG or not?

Im gona say yes... You can see the FG logo on the gastank.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:26 PM
SAVAGEJIM

If anything, ask questions from the seller. Ask him what model it is. Then go to the FG webside (or another website that sells FGs) and DL the instructions for that car. Look inside the manual, the last fuew pages of the exploded parts diagrams with part numbers.

Then ask him if he knows the FG part numbers of individual parts. If he can accurately name the PNs of the parts, then you know this is an FG and he has actally maintained it pretty well by buying scres and stuff that might fall out.
A good indicator that you know an FG owner is if he can tell you the PN for the screws that hold the wheels onto the wheel squares. Or, if he out in upgrades, like the front disc brake kit, he would most likely remember the PN of that upgrade he added (from the pic, it looks like he put on front brakes, there is a linkage wire that goes forward.)
Old 04-02-2009, 07:31 PM
ZX9RBART

Well he seems to not know much about it. He said he was told it was an FG when he bought it but someone else told him it may be a hobbypro with FG parts. Thanks for the help so far, he is supposed to send me more pics.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:39 PM
ZX9RBART

If you look close the tank and the piece in front of it say HCL.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:43 PM
SAVAGEJIM

NP. Oh, and when you next contact him, ask him to get some closeups of the parts that would have FG logos on them. Like Darkfire said, the tank has an FG logo. Also, the electronics box has an FG logo. I think the tore sidewalls will have FG logos (I know the MT FG tires have FG upraised on them).

Another thing that is looking pretty positive is that this RC has Hitec servos on it. At least the gas/brake servo is a Hitec. Additionally, ask him if the RX really is a Futaba 2.4GHz FASST (like the sticker shows on the steering servo). Hitec and Futaba 2.4GHz FASST is a good sign that this fellow didnt load really cheap gear into the RC.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:45 PM
ZX9RBART

So HCL is the FG logo? Sorry if thats a dumb question but I'm running out of research time here.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:03 PM
SAVAGEJIM

I see that on the batt box cover. I personally have not seen FG include a batt cover before (but I dont know about their on-roads, I only have off-raod FGs).

Here are some pics of an FG on-road from BigBoysToys to compare to this RC that is listed
http://www.bigboystoysandhobbies.com/inc/sdetail/10100
http://www.bigboystoysandhobbies.com/inc/sdetail/10099
http://www.bigboystoysandhobbies.com/inc/sdetail/10223

Though the one you posted is missing some of the outrigger plastic hardware, you should be able to get those parts for not too expensive.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:29 PM
DarkFire989

Maybe Im wrong about the logo. Its hard to see. It just looked like it to me. Sorry about that.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:38 PM
ZX9RBART

Dont worry about it, any help is appreciated. Also looking at a for sure FG with a samba pipe and 2 speed, not as clean though. All of your help is greatly appreciated.

Name:	Rp44040.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	1171457  
Old 04-02-2009, 09:20 PM
mooman007uk

dead giveaway is the ball joints, fg ball ends have a flats and clones ends are round, in the first pic I see rear upper arm ball ends s are round and second pic the ends have the flats...also the first pic looks to have the clone shocks.also as mentioned hcl on the batt strap is clone, my fg batt strag has fg on it. i'd lay money the first is a clone with a few fg parts
Old 04-02-2009, 10:00 PM
Pro5thScaleDistributors

That is no FG, looks to be the Carson, hobbypro or similar clone.

It is no FG..........
Old 04-02-2009, 11:34 PM
Wolf[NL]

Jep....No FG, looks te be a CArson..
Old 04-02-2009, 11:54 PM
Pro5thScaleDistributors

ORIGINAL: ZX9RBART

Dont worry about it, any help is appreciated. Also looking at a for sure FG with a samba pipe and 2 speed, not as clean though. All of your help is greatly appreciated.

What is the price they are offering these 2 cars, so then we would be able to tell you which way you should go.
Based on this picture alone, I would hope it's very cheap, otherwise, you can look around and find stuff in much better condition.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:32 AM
ZX9RBART

450 for the first and 550 for the second. Ant the first one does not come with the spektrum. I am probably going with the second one although I wish I knew the model and how old it was.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:36 AM
Pro5thScaleDistributors

I think $550 for the second one is a bit steep because of it's condition.
It also looks to be an older model, you may want to negotiate a better price, or go with the Carson for $450 which isn't bad at all.
Goto ebay, there were a few FG Sportlines in much better shape with alot more to offer for a few bucks more,,,, a better deal if you ask me.

Either way, good luck
Pete
Old 04-03-2009, 10:00 AM
ZX9RBART

ell iI am going to look at the FG tonight iI got the price a little better and getting a spektrum 2.4 receiver with it as iI already have a controller any idea from the pic which model this car is or how old it is?
Old 04-03-2009, 11:34 AM
LSALLOY
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: ZX9RBART

That does not appear to be a samba pipe. Be careful. IF it is a solo engine in it and not a Zenaoh, it will be harder for you to get parts.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:02 PM
Pro5thScaleDistributors

That's true, the silencer is an original Samba piece, the pipe is hard to tell, but it sure looks to be butchered up.
If indeed it is a Solo motor, best thing to do is stay away, because solo parts are not commonly found here in the states.

Good luck with your search.

Old 04-03-2009, 12:44 PM
ZX9RBART

e says it is a zenoah 23 what it the best way to tell as any pull start cover could be on it what are other good telltales that it is zen?iI have a zen and a clone but neither is near me at the moment Also, how do iI tell if it is a real samba pipe? sorry for the typing on my iphoneiPhone
Old 04-03-2009, 07:25 PM
ZX9RBART

Well i bought the FG it does indeed have a zenoah engine and the pipe is a samba. The pipe has not been butchered at all, the silencer was just relocated and the factory tab to put it back is still intact. At first I thought the chassis was bent because the left side of the car sits lower but we checked it over and over with a straightedge and it looks straight. The rear kicks up a few degrees but I can't tell if that is how it's designed or not. Wife was getting antsy so we bought it and left. Worst case scenario is that there is a little twist in the chassis and I will straighten it. It came with 12 wheels and tires and a spektrum 2.4 receiver so I think I got a decent deal overall. It actually looked much better in person than it did in the pics. I'll post some up when I get it cleaned up a little more. Thanks to those that helped. And profitth, I'll be coming to you first for parts.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:15 PM
Pro5thScaleDistributors

No problem, I just gave you my opinion based on that picture, it may very well be a great car after alittle cleaning, just hard to see what you can make out of it.
With the remote, sounds like a decent deal, so good luck with it and if you need some help, you can find our number on our website, we would be happy to lend a hand if need be.

Thanks and enjoy it!
Pete
Old 04-03-2009, 10:12 PM
ZX9RBART

ORIGINAL: Pro5thScaleDistributors

No problem, I just gave you my opinion based on that picture, it may very well be a great car after alittle cleaning, just hard to see what you can make out of it.
With the remote, sounds like a decent deal, so good luck with it and if you need some help, you can find our number on our website, we would be happy to lend a hand if need be.

Thanks and enjoy it!
Pete
The first and foremost help I could use is identifying which model it is. I'm off to try and figure that out basically just from pictures i guess. Unless someone has a better way to figure it out.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:19 PM
Pro5thScaleDistributors

POST UP SOME BETTER PICS!
Old 04-03-2009, 11:32 PM
ZX9RBART

Here are the first pics I took after putting the pipe back the way it should be. Let me know if there are specific pics needed to identify it. The rear lower and front upper arms are aluminum as is the front bulkhead. From looking at chassis on FG's website I think my chassis is bent and should not kick up in the rear. Looks like it is bent where the big opening in the chassis is to access the exhaust. Should be easy to straighten as it is a mild bend and there are no signs whatsoever of cracking. Came with an alloy locking diff manual so for now I will assume that it is installed. I would like to decarbonize the exhaust but need to know if the samba silencer has o-rings in it or if it is just a precision fit where it slides on to the expansion chamber.

Name:	Xv65514.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	1172157   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76497.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	1172158   Click image for larger version

Name:	In27098.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	1172159  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.