Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

please help with question

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 05:49 AM
derbyguy78

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default please help with question

[] i must first apologize for asking a question that has probaly been beat into the dirt,in fact i know i did see it once but anyhow, i purchased a ts80 servo and like before, the small print says about hooking the y harness up to another battery(power source in their words) i recently saw another post that stated that the y harness is used for dual servos. so enough of the bs,which is it. i am certain that some of my fav. members will lead me in the right direction on this. ps....if it is for a larger batt. , then is it possible or feasible to use several small batts. opposed to one large one? and what happens if you took 2 batts.( one 4.8 volts and one 6 volt) and spliced them together..... [:@]~i would rather be welding or doing some other mechanical fab~[:@] thank-you again guys........derbyguy
Old 04-09-2009, 06:24 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: please help with question

Use a regular 6v sub C battery pack, and forget about the Y harness.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:42 AM
RCguru09
Banned

The "y" harness is only used if your reciver is BEC. You don't have a BEC reciever. You can use the "Y" harness to hook up two identical MAH batteries to increase the MAH. You CAN NOT hook up two different size batteries. Batteries must be the same MAH and voltage or the lower battery will dump faster and can cause problems. I always give good advice!!!! USE it or????
Old 04-09-2009, 04:19 PM
drewcrew6

Hey Derby
If I recall you had to y-harnesses. 1 came with the radio package and the other with the ts80 servo.
If I am right then the 1 from the radio package has a switch in it that will be for power to the reciver and for channel 8 servo. The one without the switch should be to power the servo and go to the radio.

IF I had to make a guess there are a couple of uses for the y harness with the plug.

Definetly do not use 2 different voltage levels IF they are connected together, I am not sure that would be the case here though there might be a diode seperating the appropriate ends.

Hey Guru are you sure. How would that reciever use all 8channels? And since you "always give good advice" which y-harness are we talking about here.

Drewcrew6
Old 04-10-2009, 09:53 AM
RCguru09
Banned

ORIGINAL: drewcrew6

Hey Derby
If I recall you had to y-harnesses. 1 came with the radio package and the other with the ts80 servo.
If I am right then the 1 from the radio package has a switch in it that will be for power to the reciver and for channel 8 servo. The one without the switch should be to power the servo and go to the radio.

IF I had to make a guess there are a couple of uses for the y harness with the plug.

Definetly do not use 2 different voltage levels IF they are connected together, I am not sure that would be the case here though there might be a diode seperating the appropriate ends.

Hey Guru are you sure. How would that reciever use all 8channels? And since you "always give good advice" which y-harness are we talking about here.

Drewcrew6
They don't make a "y"harness with a switch. It's called a switch/charge harness(DUH)! Who said anything about a 8 channel RX on this post? Only U. I am refering to a BEC reciever. That's 2 channels. Derby wants to know if it's ok to use the "y" harness to hook up 2 batteries to on switch to double the capacity. Yes you can as long as the packs are the same. If someone hear is using a 8 channel rc radio system that is'nt for surfice use only??? It is against AMA regulations and illegal with up to a 10,000 fine if cought using one and causing damage.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:12 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Foxy

Use a regular 6v sub C battery pack, and forget about the Y harness.
/thread.
Old 04-10-2009, 03:31 PM
drewcrew6

The 8 channels was an assumption by me based on a previous post. My bad-maybe.

Just trying to get this clear in my own head.

Could that y switch harness be used in another manner?

Okay maybe I am mistaken isn't a "bec" a battery eliminator circuit? And is this only found a radios with certain amount of channels?

How many channels are allowed for a rc car?

The info out there that I have found is not clear on this type of stuff.

Thanks

Drewcrew6
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54257.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	8.6 KB
ID:	1177334  
Old 04-11-2009, 06:08 AM
derbyguy78

thanks again everyone...oohhhh good news too. i took everyones advice about my gear ratio and purchased a 6 " pulley for the rear and have my 1.50" for the front. this should be correct right? tell you what guys/girls i will start a new post today of my build and post lots (3-4-5) of new pics that way it will make life easier again.

rcguru: didnt i read somewhere that it is only punishable if using the 8 chnl. in or near a rc airspace? there are guys that i know of that not only checked into it w/the proper people but were given the ok and race weekly without any grief. you want a tissue?
Old 04-11-2009, 10:07 AM
RCguru09
Banned

ORIGINAL: derbyguy78

thanks again everyone...oohhhh good news too. i took everyones advice about my gear ratio and purchased a 6 " pulley for the rear and have my 1.50" for the front. this should be correct right? tell you what guys/girls i will start a new post today of my build and post lots (3-4-5) of new pics that way it will make life easier again.

rcguru: didnt i read somewhere that it is only punishable if using the 8 chnl. in or near a rc airspace? there are guys that i know of that not only checked into it w/the proper people but were given the ok and race weekly without any grief. you want a tissue?
It is everywhere! You can't use 72 MHz for surface use. The radio need to be 75 MHZ or you can get into alot of trouble. $$$$$$$$$$$$ Just play it safe.

Drewcrew: The picture you posted is a switch/charge harness. All it's use for is to trurn on/off the reciever and charge the reciever battery. IT"S not a "Y" harness. A "Y" harness is use to control 2 servos for 1 channel or can be used to supply the reciever with 2 identical battery packs. Other option: Some reciever require it to opperate a extra chanel threw the battery slot allowing amother channel. Battery/8 channel slot. Then you can use a "Y" harness and a sittch/charge harness then the reciever battery. Not many manufactures use this option.
Old 04-11-2009, 12:47 PM
drewcrew6

Hey guru
What about servos that need there own power, some of the larger ones (like the ts80) do and so do the tone's. Do they make a cable to seperate the power for all servos.

From towers site about the ts80:
Universal Y-Harness: Because This Servo has a High Current Drain, the
Y-Harness is Used to Plug the Servo Into the Receiver and Also to
Wire Directly to the Battery Pack for A Power Sorce. This is Done
so the High Current Does Not Damage the Receiver. It is Up To The
Modeler to Hook Up the Power Supply Wire to the Battery.
Diagram-> (male end) Servo-\>Receiver (female end)
\>Power Sorce Battery (female end)

Can this power source be different from the rx and can it be a higher voltage? As long as the ground between batteries are tied and positive is not or there is a diode it would be ok but I don not know how these cables are configured. If the positive does tie directly to both ends then you could run that servo without the battery for it possibly doing damage to the rx. That is why I assume the positive is not a direct link.

Drewcrew6
Old 04-11-2009, 08:11 PM
derbyguy78

thank you that is exactly what brought up my original question..that is the small print that made me start this post....and i still dont have a conclusive answer []
Old 04-12-2009, 03:17 AM
drewcrew6

I've been trying to figure out your exact question and I finally nailed it. Yeah !!!!!!!!!

Unfortunately I do not have an answer. Maybe Someone else does.

Let me ask you a question. If you plug in a battery on the servo y harness and plug the servo and reciever together but no battery directly to the reciever does everything work including a servo on another channel?

Drewcrew6
Old 04-12-2009, 09:07 AM
RCguru09
Banned

YES You don't plug the "Y" harness into the battry plug slot. This is the bypass way around the BEC. Your rciever will now have 6.0 volts. You can plug a switch/charge harness between the "Y" harness and battery to power everything off. You don't have to do this if you have reciever is NON BEC. it's worthless. Non BEC recievers work fine. Read the instructions that come with the servo. It explains everything. Your both making something out of nothing.[]
Their is no diode needed and you can't run more tha 6 volts with this servo. Just plug and play.