Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Vertigo diff spool locker 5B

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 06:03 AM
splcrazy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vertigo diff spool locker 5B

i want to replace my stock 5b diff for a new one , either getting the ss alloy diff cases or this spool locker . I dont know anything about the vertigo diff spool locker other than it replaces the entire diff that the 5b comes in as stock , if anyone has one can you explain to me the difference that this diff will make , the price of this spool locker is pretty tempting for me to get its only $55 australian dollars .
Old 04-13-2009, 06:36 AM
Ballistic Lunacy
Banned

Default RE: Vertigo diff spool locker 5B

A diff locker will basically make the rear transmission like a solid axle. Only consider one for loose surfaces like sand as they do stress dogbones no end. Infact if your on hard pack, street, grass or any other kind of high traction surface do not try to run one. Also your turning radius will be greatly increased so no tight turns for you.

The Vertigo unit is the $$$ approach to the job, alot of guys just fill their broken diffs with JBweld or something to lock them up and it works just the same - although this would increase the weight/rotating mass but its unlikely you'll really notice the difference.

WSE do a locker for half the price of the Vertigo one but requires a diff case such as an old unused plastic one to complete (basically just replaces the gears) - available here: http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.88...t.A/id.5581/.f
Old 04-13-2009, 07:36 AM
mikeinoz

The VP one is only $52.50 from here
http://powerslideracing.com.au/index...roducts_id=587
Old 04-13-2009, 08:31 AM
Ballistic Lunacy
Banned

oops my bad, missed the part that he was in Australia - carriage charges may make the WSE unit uneconomical. Still i'd consider some JBweld in the old diff before spending 55au, thats if a rear locker is even what he really wants.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:24 AM
aluminum crusher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: splcrazy

i want to replace my stock 5b diff for a new one , either getting the ss alloy diff cases or this spool locker . I dont know anything about the vertigo diff spool locker other than it replaces the entire diff that the 5b comes in as stock , if anyone has one can you explain to me the difference that this diff will make , the price of this spool locker is pretty tempting for me to get its only $55 australian dollars .
I have one as a back up unit once my stock diff fails,and it fails about once a year. You can run the vertigo diff on any surface just slow down more than normal when comming into turns, and for onroad and really any surface, to really keep it under control from a dead stop drag style take off...just install a taller gear you will be surprised. It really teach one how to drive it's fun and good for a back up unit and easy to install. I'm running a 28.5 motor with 57/18 gears as of now, I'am waiting for diff parts to arrive. I hope this helps
Old 04-14-2009, 04:26 AM
splcrazy

for this setup im going to run a TS crankcase induction engine with stuffed crank and 36mm ESP raceported cylinder head and big TGN race pipe , i want to run this for the on road only ,so some say that my setup is going to make 6.25 + HP, do you think it will be too much power and destroy the diff locker and dogbone axles ? I might have to rebuild my stock diff with the SS alloy cases and be done with it , i think that it will be too much direct power if i run the locker, unless i take off slowly and gradually increase the speed , im basically dragging in straight lines up and down the road then turning it to go back the other way .
Old 04-14-2009, 09:03 AM
Ballistic Lunacy
Banned

Well as long as your just doing straight drag runs, remember to corner at the end at low speed and that the turning circle won't be good then it should suit you needs just fine. As AC says you'll have less lost power on take off so that should work well for drag runs, just remember to run good dogbones as they will be under more strain since there is no give in the driveline.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:10 AM
vertigo performance

Our suggestion for those using lockers is to take caution on high traction surfaces and be sure to throttle off at the point of landing. Most often those that damage dog bones are those who sit and do donuts or land off of jumps on throttle.
Our locker retails for $32.00 usd..
Old 04-14-2009, 01:29 PM
circa5angles

In 1:1 stuff, you put less stress on everything by keeping the tires spining.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:48 PM
vertigo performance

In the past 7 years that we have been making lockers for RC Vehicles we have discovered sitting doing continual donuts to the point of giddy can break dog bones..
Old 04-14-2009, 03:50 PM
Ballistic Lunacy
Banned

ORIGINAL: vertigo performance

In the past 7 years that we have been making lockers for RC Vehicles we have discovered sitting doing continual donuts to the point of giddy can break dog bones..
Donuts in themselves don't hurt dogbones, not when the drivecups are properly greased and booted. If their not then the dogbone ends can overheat and break but thats down to well, overheating due to high rpm's not so much the donuts, hope thats clear donut.

Like the other guy said, once you break traction with the ground the driveline is under very little torque load. We've all been at this game along time...
Old 04-14-2009, 05:17 PM
aluminum crusher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for this setup im going to run a TS crankcase induction engine with stuffed crank and 36mm ESP raceported cylinder head and big TGN race pipe , i want to run this for the on road only ,so some say that my setup is going to make 6.25 + HP, do you think it will be too much power and destroy the diff locker and dogbone axles ? I might have to rebuild my stock diff with the SS alloy cases and be done with it , i think that it will be too much direct power if i run the locker, unless i take off slowly and gradually increase the speed , im basically dragging in straight lines up and down the road then turning it to go back the other way .
Yeah you should be fine just remember to run a taller gear ratio, like since your going with that motor=30.5.......... I would put in the 19/55 gear set or the 20/54 gear set. I think those are the highest gear sets for now. And put in some heavy duty dogbones I've been running the HPI HD dogbones (but you should get a better set) for an year and I've just lost one the other day. I had fuel tubing in the drive cups for over an year it helps keep the dogbones in place , and one pc of tubing has finally wore out and that's not bad for being there for over an year. I had my O Brothers race ported 27.2, 30.5 & 28.5 in use with those dogbones and fuel tubing set up. Not bad for over an year of usage ( I still have all of those motors and they are working good I was just trying different one's) so far I think the best is the 27.2 it has torque and rpm as well. Oh and by the way my buddy has the ESP 26 TS reed ported motor and I cannot touch it and now I need a reed ported motor...just to keep up with the Jones But I decided to wait and poot around with the motor's that I have now because of the economy[sm=50_50.gif]
Old 04-16-2009, 04:32 AM
splcrazy

do you guys think that it's really nessesary to change out the plastic gearbox for the GH alloy gearbox ? lol i have to ask these questions because of the screwed economy and we need to double check if were we are spending the money on for parts if its really worth it lol, because im gonna rebuild the diff soon and just want to have everything ready while i have it all open .
Old 04-16-2009, 10:52 AM
vertigo performance

There is nothing wrong with using the plastic gear box. If we felt a new gear box was needed in order to use the locker we wouldn't have made the lockers.
Old 04-16-2009, 03:17 PM
Ballistic Lunacy
Banned

do you guys think that it's really nessesary to change out the plastic gearbox for the GH alloy gearbox ? lol i have to ask these questions because of the screwed economy and we need to double check if were we are spending the money on for parts if its really worth it lol, because im gonna rebuild the diff soon and just want to have everything ready while i have it all open .
Gah! what do you think i've been telling you since the 2nd post! If you want a cheap locker then just use the plastic diff case with your damaged gears and fill it with JB weld or use that cheap locker I linked you to.

If you mean running a normal plastic diff then I think you should know the answer by now, the plastic diff case is worthless when used as HPI intends, get the alloy HPI SS one instead if you want to run a normal (unlocked) diff.