Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

Opinions needed on all-out race platform

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Opinions needed on all-out race platform

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 07:05 PM
webdr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions needed on all-out race platform

An offroad track for 1/5th scalers has been built in brooks, GA. www.vrpracing.org
Ive always wanted to race 1/5th and even though its about 48 miles to the track, Im planning on doing it.
Heres a few pics of the track.

My question is, out of the MCD Baja1000 EVO3 comp or the Race Runner Evo3 comp, what would be the better competition vehicle?

Right now, the 2wd and the 4wd are grouped together cause theres only 8 or 9 vehicles. If it picks up, they will split the vehicles into classes.
Thanks
matt
Old 05-05-2009, 08:26 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Opinions needed on all-out race platform

Here is a thread I started a while back on the VRP track in Brooks. GA.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_84...tm.htm#8458481

Do you know Vince has built another track just for 1/5 scale. This is the buggy I would get if I had the money when it hits the streets shortly. The way work is going I just hope I will be able to eat for now.
http://www.nutechracing.com/english/...Product%20News
Old 05-05-2009, 08:28 PM
webdr

Yea, that place is pimp! I cant wait to run.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:33 PM
46u

You have the wrong address here is the correct one. http://www.vrpracing.org/
Old 05-05-2009, 08:39 PM
46u

The second day of 1/5 scale racing only is this Saturday the 9th. Here is the crew from race one.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60329.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	1192991  
Old 05-05-2009, 09:04 PM
webdr

ORIGINAL: 46u

You have the wrong address here is the correct one. http://www.vrpracing.org/
fixed
Old 05-05-2009, 09:18 PM
webdr

ORIGINAL: 46u

Here is a thread I started a while back on the VRP track in Brooks. GA.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_84...tm.htm#8458481

Do you know Vince has built another track just for 1/5 scale. This is the buggy I would get if I had the money when it hits the streets shortly. The way work is going I just hope I will be able to eat for now.
http://www.nutechracing.com/english/...Product%20News
Are there any pics of the 1/5th track?
Old 05-05-2009, 09:34 PM
46u

When I was up there for the first 1/5 scale race he was working on the track and I played on it some after the race. I have not seen any pictures yet on his site or on Georgia RC Racers.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:15 AM
dgav407

ORIGINAL: webdr

An offroad track for 1/5th scalers has been built in brooks, GA. www.vrpracing.org
Ive always wanted to race 1/5th and even though its about 48 miles to the track, Im planning on doing it.
Heres a few pics of the track.

My question is, out of the MCD Baja1000 EVO3 comp or the Race Runner Evo3 comp, what would be the better competition vehicle?

Right now, the 2wd and the 4wd are grouped together cause theres only 8 or 9 vehicles. If it picks up, they will split the vehicles into classes.
Thanks
matt
I have raced both a Baja 1000 and a Race Runner and would say that the Race Runner is the better competition vehicle.

The downside to 4WD is that the extra weight and the weight distribution means that they are at a disadvantage over the jumps - any advantage you have through better traction, braking and speed through the turns is lost as you need to take it carefully over the jumps.

Clive

Old 05-12-2009, 09:41 AM
FastEddy
My Feedback: (1)

Back to the original question...
If it were me, I would get and race whatever class is the largest. If you have a mixed up field, the 4wds are going to be the most competitive but whats the fun if your the only one with a 4wd? Its great to win but if your not on the same page as the rest of the racers, whats the joy in it?
Old 05-12-2009, 11:29 AM
Apache-

ORIGINAL: FastEddy

If it were me, I would get and race whatever class is the largest. If you have a mixed up field, the 4wds are going to be the most competitive but whats the fun if your the only one with a 4wd? Its great to win but if your not on the same page as the rest of the racers, whats the joy in it?
I also expected always 4WD would be quicker.
The truth is a bit different though looking back to the European Grand prix in Paris this weekend...

The 2WD performed by far better at the French GP then the 4WD.
They made in the final about +5 laps more then the 4WD's.
Nobody did expect that and all competitors were highly suprised finding this result.
A chronometer does not lie
It was the first time 4WD's did run along on a Grand prix in their own clas on the same track in the same weekend.
It was a hard, dusty, slippery track similair to the pics in this thread.

Also weird and not expected was that the FG did outperform the MCD [X(] what I would never had expected.

I gues races show the real thruth about the ability and speed of a car.

I think the result at the GP did put off many potential 4WD buyers as the 2WD showed it was by far superior to the 4WD.
Who would have said that beforehand ....
Old 05-12-2009, 12:25 PM
46u

4wd is not faster per say and maybe in a high speed straight away race slower to to drag and friction of the front drive. They do handle SO much better that makes track times lower. I have raced both 2 wheel and 4 wheel drive and with the right driver 4 wheel drive is going to win every time if not something is not right!

Right now at VRP there are very few 4 wheel dive racers. I hope to have a 4wheel drive Nutech buggy if work picks up by the end of summer. Right now the only 4 wheel dive I know of at VRP is Vince the track owner with a Red Cat.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:39 PM
dgav407

ORIGINAL: Apache-

ORIGINAL: FastEddy

I also expected always 4WD would be quicker.
The truth is a bit different though looking back to the European Grand prix in Paris this weekend...

The 2WD performed by far better at the French GP then the 4WD.
They made in the final about +5 laps more then the 4WD's.
Nobody did expect that and all competitors were highly suprised finding this result.
A chronometer does not lie
It was the first time 4WD's did run along on a Grand prix in their own clas on the same track in the same weekend.
It was a hard, dusty, slippery track similair to the pics in this thread.

Also weird and not expected was that the FG did outperform the MCD [X(] what I would never had expected.

I gues races show the real thruth about the ability and speed of a car.

I think the result at the GP did put off many potential 4WD buyers as the 2WD showed it was by far superior to the 4WD.
Who would have said that beforehand ....
A good result for the young kid who won the 4WD class with a near stock FG Sportsline Baja - no tuned pipe!!!. Just goes to show that you don't need to spend hundreds of dollars, euros, pounds etc on shiny upgrades.

However, not wishing to be disrespectful to the winner or the other 4WD racers but they are not the best drivers in europe - they were all racing in the 2WD class. The gap between the 2WD and 4WD class is closer than this result would suggest.

The 2WD remains the premier class in largescale off and on road racing.

Clive

Old 05-12-2009, 12:50 PM
46u

ORIGINAL: dgav407

Clive

I am sure in the next couple of years you will see this change particularly off road. I remember when 1/10 2 wheel drive off road stadium trucks where the biggest class about 10 or less years ago and now you can hardly find any one running them.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:43 PM
dgav407

There has been a noticable increase in the number of 4WD off road being raced in the last 2 years. The on road 2WD class is sadly in decline and will be the preserve of the lucky few sponsored drivers in the coming years.

The 4WD class has suffered from the number of off roaders that have been released with design defects, poor manufacturer and importer support. Plenty of new models have appeared at race meetings and have been found to be unsuitable and are never seen again...

Having raced largescale 2WD and 4WD on and off road for 6 years and been fortunate to have witnessed the best largescale drivers in the world race at national and international race meetings 2WD will remain unchallenged for years to come. I have won races with a 4WD buggy on a dusty dirt track against 2WD opposition but there is no way I could repeat the feat against the top 2WD racers here.

The simple truth is that 4WD off roaders don't handle any better than 2WD off roaders it's just that the majority of racers (including myself) don't have the ability to drive a 2WD off roader at anywhere near it's potential. A 4WD off roader is more controllable at the limit but that doesn't mean it handles any better.

Clive
Old 05-12-2009, 01:54 PM
Apache-

A good result for the young kid who won the 4WD class with a near stock FG Sportsline Baja - no tuned pipe!!!. Just goes to show that you don't need to spend hundreds of dollars, euros, pounds etc on shiny upgrades.

However, not wishing to be disrespectful to the winner or the other 4WD racers but they are not the best drivers in europe - they were all racing in the 2WD class. The gap between the 2WD and 4WD class is closer than this result would suggest.

Clive

The young kid is the son of michel peuziat who drives very very well. The kid deffinately runs sharp as a knife, just like his dad can do. For sure he would have made the final also if he would have run a 2WD. He is a huge talent and already sponsored by hobbycenter.

I however disagree to your point. There were people who attended in both classes. Patrick Lesire, Anthony Piolet, Vincent Boucher and some others did drive both the 2WD and the 4WD competition.
Nobody of them was faster with his 4WD as far as I know.
These are all renomated drivers and well in the top 10 at 2WD in their national competition.
To state the field of competitors in 4WD was of less quality i find a wrong statement, then you were not there and did not see them go

The big differance between the 2WD and the 4WD I found the huge amount of understeer in the 4WD.
this is where they lost major time.
They simply do not corner and also did not roll through the corners like a 2WD does.
The only advantage the 4WD deffinately had was on acceleration and at the double jump.
This the 4WD had much better under control as they could speed enough to jump it.
I was thinking about a 4WD but after the weekend I am fully cured.

I expected a big differance in lap time, the opposite was shown.
I think on astro the 2WD will be even more fast then the 4WD as there acceleraton is no issue when dry.
Old 05-12-2009, 02:03 PM
46u

We will just have to wait and see what happens in the next couple of years.
Old 05-12-2009, 02:39 PM
dgav407

ORIGINAL: Apache-

Clive

The young kid is the son of michel peuziat who drives very very well. The kid deffinately runs sharp as a knife, just like his dad can do. For sure he would have made the final also if he would have run a 2WD. He is a huge talent and already sponsored by hobbycenter.

I however disagree to your point. There were people who attended in both classes. Patrick Lesire, Anthony Piolet, Vincent Boucher and some others did drive both the 2WD and the 4WD competition.
Nobody of them was faster with his 4WD as far as I know.
These are all renomated drivers and well in the top 10 at 2WD in their national competition.
To state the field of competitors in 4WD was of less quality i find a wrong statement, then you were not there and did not see them go

The big differance between the 2WD and the 4WD I found the huge amount of understeer in the 4WD.
this is where they lost major time.
They simply do not corner and also did not roll through the corners like a 2WD does.
The only advantage the 4WD deffinately had was on acceleration and at the double jump.
This the 4WD had much better under control as they could speed enough to jump it.
I was thinking about a 4WD but after the weekend I am fully cured.

I expected a big differance in lap time, the opposite was shown.
I think on astro the 2WD will be even more fast then the 4WD as there acceleraton is no issue when dry.
I apologise for my comment on the quality of the entrants in the 4WD class, I was clearly wrong!!! Maybe it was because I didn't recall seeing their names in the main final of the previous two EFRA GPs.

I'm not surprised that the 4WD cars were slower in the dry - just at the the big difference in the lap times in favour of the 2WD cars. I agree that in the dry the 2WD cars will again be faster on astro turf . Anyway we will see at the upcoming British EFRA GP.

Clive
Old 05-13-2009, 02:27 AM
Apache-

Will there be a 4WD class then also at the EFRA GP at Sweetnap Clive?

In germany in 2 weeks we will see what will happen on carpet on the ostenwalde track.
Last weekend in GHB the 4WD's did run together with the 2WD's.
There it was the other way around and the 4WD was there faster.
But they have no sharp corners there mostly long fast sweepers where the 4WD will drift better through.
Seems to depend realy per track and surface which car is faster.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:09 AM
dgav407

The British EFRA GP is at the Nene Valley Raceway (http://www.nenevalleyraceway.co.uk/frame.htm) this year - they held an international meeting last year and did allow the 4WD cars to race. However, only one was entered.

No one has yet expressed an interest a 4WD class at the meeting - to be honest the 4WD racers who compete in the national series will be concentrating on the 2WD class. It would have been good to see Ian Oddie and Stevo Backland race their MCDs but as they are now Team drivers for Contrast and Elcon I don't see it happening.

I have just seen the race results and report from the recent off road meeting in Germany. The performance of the 4WD cars was stunning - the first placed 4WD car did 7 more laps than the first placed 2WD car in a 30 minute final!!! Another great result for FG as well. Also the 4WD entrants outnumbered the 2WD entrants at the meeting.

Clive

Old 05-13-2009, 05:41 AM
Apache-

Yes I meant the nene, sweet nap was last year of course [:@]
GHB in Germany is "4WD country" with Mocatech being athome there. For the next race we see far less 4WD entries. The 2WD entries for ostenwalde is already double of the 4WD entries.
The good thing is that the number of participants has gone up with the extra class that joined. In GHB there were about 80 people now starting, where as last year an average of 50 pilots attended the nationals. Only good for the hobby
I do not believe either Stevo or Ian will back off racing the 4WD, it is their hobby. A team drive does not make that different IMO, at least that is what Ian said in France.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:19 AM
dgav407

I did not mean to suggest that Ian or Stevo will stop racing 4WD just because they are full factory/team drivers.

Stevo won the 4WD class at the last round of the British nationals late last month and is probably the favorite to win the class this year. Ian has mainly raced in the 4WD class over the winter, I don't think he raced his MCD in the nationals so far this year.

Hopefully I will see you at the Nene later this year.

Clive

Old 05-13-2009, 12:54 PM
Apache-

Yes I intend to be at the GP of the the UK held at the Nene track, also because you guys are doing it for a good purpose
Besides it is for a good purpose you always make the effort to travel to the mainland, so we should visit you islanders as well
Will try to generate some interest here on the mainland to make people go there.
The flyers at the race in France was good thing to do for sure.
Old 05-13-2009, 04:30 PM
46u

So when you race on carpet you call that off road racing? Do you guys have more links and pictures of the tracks you run on. Here in the states off road means dirt. Guess the 1/5 European tracks are like the 1/8 scale European tracks. This is the only track in Georgia that runs 1/5 scale.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81718.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	1197471   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51364.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	1197472   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fl18629.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	1197473   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ys49831.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	1197474  
Old 05-14-2009, 05:48 AM
dgav407

Nearly all the largescale tracks in the UK are surfaced with astro turf but very few in mainland europe are - they still race on dirt!!

We use astro turf because it requires minimal maintence and allows for year round racing, something that was previously not possible on the grass/dirt tracks.

Here is video of one of the carpet tracks - the Nene Valley Raceway - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFPSk27YPjk

I raced on dirt last year -

Hope to use this 1/8th nitro track for racing in the near future - I currently use it for setting up and testing my largescale cars -

Clive