Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

I bent a brake disc

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 04:56 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I bent a brake disc

I bent a brake disc one day while out bashing; I found my favourite gravel mole-hill doing some light bashing; mostly trying to fiddle with the clutch setting while doing this.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y39eYvLy0Ho[/youtube]

Then, all of a sudden, the RC quit moving; I would gas it an no movement but the engine would rev. To spare the clutch shoes, I immediately let off the trigger, grabbed the RC; I was thinking that the bolts from one of the diffs might be working loose again and binding on the inside ot the diff housing. But upon taking the wheel off to make sure I didnt cook the clutch shoes, to my chagrin, I discovered a pebble got caught on the inside of my wheel rim and jammed up against the brake disc, bending it. I dismounted the brake disc and it was bent; most liekely useless now. I tried to bend it flat again, but it is still warped; not any good.

So, now I am in need of at least one new brake disc. Or if the brake bias will be thrown off between the left and right side, I will need two brake discs and possible pads as well.
Anyone know where I can buy just the discs for the FG brake tuning kits? I hit all the stores I know and I can only find complete brake upgrade kits, not just the discs and/or bads alone[]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63894.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	1195753   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa84658.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	1195754   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej13454.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	1195755   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jc86175.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	1195756  
Old 05-10-2009, 05:07 PM
dc2 man
Banned

Default RE: I bent a brake disc

hey sj

if this helps i would like to suggest you can straighten that by placing it on a very flat surface and again with another flat object wrapped in cloth (prevents damage) and tap it lightly all around it turning it around and repeating same.

it should work grand....

other wise this shop would have them

rc.car.online.de aka hobbythek....
Old 05-10-2009, 05:17 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Thanks for the tip. I tried to flatten it out using two quarter in steel plates and a vise, it did flatten it back, but the rock also goucged the surface of the disc as well. Pretty deel gouges at that. The 4th pic shoes the pebble that did the deed. The white spts are where the pebble gouged into the disc; does not look bad, but when I was cleaning the disc before pressing it back flat, once I removed the white dust (the bits from the rock), the poor disc has deep pits in it now. []

I wonder if it is possible to turn such a small disc? I would prbably have to do it by hand with a dremel, but I have no clue if that will remedy the surface problem.

As for the disc, I will check out hobbythek and see. I also just thought of another thing: the FG part # ispecifically for the disc is 8458. I will also check the stores again with 8458 in the search parameter to see if they sell the discs separately.
Old 05-10-2009, 05:19 PM
SAVAGEJIM

YES!!!!!!!

I just Googled FG 8458 and the very first hit came up with this from FG Supply!!!!!
http://www.fgsupply.com/search.cgi?keywords=8458

And fortunately, they are like $25 USD each. I was afraid that they were going to be more expensive!
Old 05-10-2009, 05:23 PM
DarkFire989

25 a piece is cheap!!?!??!
Old 05-10-2009, 05:45 PM
dc2 man
Banned

didnt take you long to find it good on you man

will you buy that one so?

good price as darkfire said.[:-]
Old 05-10-2009, 06:11 PM
Dirty_Vinylpusher

will you buy that one so?
I have nothing to add to this discussion, but the way you put the "so" at the end of that sentence made me smile and remember all the lovely Irish people I've met over the years.
Just had to mention that.

Old 05-10-2009, 06:14 PM
dc2 man
Banned

hahah

well you have just met another one here lol

ah i have met some great ozzies myself, ever hear of ozzy osbourne ? hahaha no he is english.....

actually you must be tired of all the irish out there now as nearly half of ireland is out there with you now haha
Old 05-10-2009, 06:38 PM
ZX9RBART

16.68 for the pair. I would think that the discs would be the same size.
http://www.bigboystoysandhobbies.com...2500?start=240

Pretty good guy to deal with.
Old 05-10-2009, 09:03 PM
Dirty_Vinylpusher

hahah

well you have just met another one here lol

ah i have met some great ozzies myself, ever hear of ozzy osbourne ? hahaha no he is english.....

actually you must be tired of all the irish out there now as nearly half of ireland is out there with you now haha
I'm not Australian, but have lived here for the past 7 years.
Before that I lived in London for 5 years and before that Holland and a few other places.
Grew up in Sweden though.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:12 PM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: ZX9RBART

16.68 for the pair. I would think that the discs would be the same size.
http://www.bigboystoysandhobbies.com...2500?start=240

Pretty good guy to deal with.
Thanks for the tip, I totally forgot about checking out these guys. for under $17USD for TWO discs, that is great.
I just hope I still have my account with them, I only ordered like a couple of times or so from them.
Old 06-19-2009, 05:33 PM
SAVAGEJIM

I finally got my brake discs in, I didnt bother ordering them last month since I was going back home for the summer. I ordered them earlier this week, 4 discs, and the finally came in today.

I am not sure if it would be the thing to do, but should I change the caliper brake pads too? They look servicable still, a whole lot of pad material still left on them. But I am thinking like a real car where if you work on one side of an axle, you want to do the same to the brakes on the other side of that axle. (I just decided to replace all 4 discs in this case).

Is my thinking correct? Or can I just go with my existing brakes? My own sense tells me thto continue using the original brake pads on the new discs, but better know than go on a guess.
Old 06-21-2009, 09:33 AM
mooman007uk

I bent several discs when i had my fgbaja, running in gravel will do it everytime, i bent 4 in total before I got sick of my $3000 investment still letting me down everytime i bashed it and parted it out.
Just chuck in the new discs the pads will be fine...Are you running hydros or cables? I know with hydro pads you can take them out and touch them up with a file if need be but just jamming up from a bent dics shouldn't hurt any..
Changing just the one wheel is fine too, these aren't quite as fussy as full size brakes more akin to push bike hydros than cars.

here was one i did

Old 06-21-2009, 10:04 AM
Pro5thScaleDistributors

Jim, it has happened to me more then enough times.
The FG disc's bend very easy, check out the Elcon disc's, much stronger, cheaper and I have not bent one yet.

http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.88...t.A/id.1616/.f
Old 06-22-2009, 06:05 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Thanks for the tips, guys. And in that pic, that is exactly how I bent my disc.

As for the Elcon ones, I wish I knew Elcon had a brake set too, otherwise, I would have bought those instead. I might just get soem anyways when Ryan gets some more in. Thanks Pete for the tip.

Old 06-22-2009, 06:09 PM
Pro5thScaleDistributors

No problem jim, you'll love them, they work better then the FG ones and much stronger.

Good luck