Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

Are piggy back shocks just hype?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Are piggy back shocks just hype?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 09:02 AM
cuemando

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are piggy back shocks just hype?

G'day there where ever you are,
Do they really make a difference. sure the physics make a little bit of difference but does it work in real 1/5 world?
Chat soon.
Old 05-11-2009, 05:35 PM
kryptonite5b
My Feedback: (-2)

Default RE: Are piggy back shocks just hype?

yes they do work. as shock compresses, the oils need a place to go and it doest compress well. if you upgrade to a thicker shaft you will need to replace that with air or it will hydro lock. for instance hpi's 4mm shaft compared to phatdads 6mm shaft. you cant fill the shock as normal. you need to leave about 1/4" from the top or the shock wont compress. also the aditional oil heklp with dampining as there is more flow thru the shock body.. ressies work.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:30 PM
da mad maori

technically yes they do work as above has explained nicely but i think they're almost usless on the baja 5b as they are bashers... they dont handle anyway lol

on mcd / fg racers... they will have a little increase in performance yes
Old 05-12-2009, 02:30 AM
splcrazy

i have them on my 5b and i am running the 6mm shafts , i cant really tell if they are doing their job , but they do look really good , i have the GH brand in silver
Old 05-12-2009, 02:49 AM
Ballistic Lunacy
Banned

All depends who's you get. If the resi is too big it turns your shock oil tuning to mush, if its too small you might as well not run them.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:33 AM
cuemando

Thanks for that. It just seemed that there wouldn't be that much extra oil in them and I was told it was for better oil cooling. I'm not sure of the brand as they are listed on ebay.uk and the seller has told me that they are developing piggy backs for monster trucks. I'm thinking about upgrading as I have just bent one of my shocks, but don't think it is nessasary. I think I'll just rebuild the ones I have. Carson Comanche. The have had the alloy ends added to them. I got new oil from daniels pitstop but have since found out that 2000 is WAY too thick. I now have some hpi 20wt baja oil so will try that. The car is just used for bashing around the paddock and BMX tracks.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:58 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

All I can speak for it the HPI Baja and the only ones that really work are these the others are mostly for looks
http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.88...t.A/id.5095/.f
Old 05-13-2009, 05:43 AM
cuemando

46u,
Yes, those ones accually look like they would work and as you stated, the others would mostly be for looks. They do look cool though. I think I will be re-buildinw what I've got for the time being and investigate the phatdads as I like the sound of a 6mm shaft, surly I won't bend one of those. Hopefully lighter shock oil and a little more spring tension will stop me bending them in the future.
Thanks again to all posters.