Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

racing

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 12:14 PM
pagani77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default racing

I have just found out that a 5th scale track has been built close to me and was wondering what would you guys reccomend for running I would prefer 4wd if possible thanks
Old 06-14-2009, 12:39 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: racing

Off road or on road?
Old 06-14-2009, 12:45 PM
pagani77

off road sorry i didn't say it in first post
Old 06-14-2009, 12:53 PM
Foxy

Lots of options, all depends how much you want to spend.

RWD in order of greatness and price...

Elcon Cleon
One of the Lauterbacher cars
FG Baja Comp
FG Baja
HPI Baja
Baja 5b clone (or FG clone)

4WD in order of greatness

FG Baja 4x4 Comp
MCD Racerunner Evo alloy version
Nutech Thunderbolt II (available in just a couple of weeks)
FG Baja 4x4 basic
MCD Racerunner Plastic version
Redcat Rampage TT
X clone of the above.

This is just my opinion, based on 'some' experience with all of them, some more than others.

That's pretty much it. There are a few others, but that's the pick. You've got price ranging there from 2000 quid without even an engine to 500 quid RTR.

So, budget? And what equipment do you need supplied with it?
Old 06-14-2009, 01:17 PM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: pagani77

I have just found out that a 5th scale track has been built close to me and was wondering what would you guys reccomend for running I would prefer 4wd if possible thanks
For me, I say for off-roading, the FG 4wd comp buggy would be the best, that is if you do insist on 4WD. I do not have the buggy FG comp, I have the MT 4wd comp, and it is indeed a very sturdy and tough RC as well as lightyears ahead in handling over its 2WD brother.
The comp buggy would be a step above the MT comp because of the lower stance from the wheels, and even the shock configuration (I think. I am not sure if the FG buggies use the exact same suspension geometries and shock as the comp MT).

If you want to race in 2WD, the Foxy has it right: the Cleon is the one to definietely get.

Now these two RCs I mentioned above are not cheap, I will not lie to you, buying one of these kits will put you back several thousands of USD. The 4WD comp with hydro 4wheel brakes will cost you something under $3000 USD, and if you factor in a race grade radio and good servos, you sill break $3000 USD

The Cleon kit by itself will cost you well more than $3K USD, and to get it race ready, you can look at something approchaing $4k USD with race grade radio and servos.

I saved up for about a year (maybe a tad longer) to buy the FG 4wd comp MT, but I do not regret it. It is hands down my favourite RC out of my whole lot.
If you want one, I strongly suggest you do practice the self-discipline and save up for on; you will not be disappointed one bit.

Now if you must have an RC now for racing, if you are only doing club level racing, I say just take what every gasser RC you have now and hit the track as is. That way, you do get very used to the track you run on, and if you do buy one of these high race-grade RCs, you will have some mad skills to put those high dollar features onto the track.Look at it this way: If you can bet someone with a HPI 5B, just think about what kind of serious spanking you will dish out with a Cleon you saved up for the past year and a half (and of course built up your skills on your 5B during that time)!

Old 06-14-2009, 01:19 PM
pagani77

I have a £1000 budget for the car and engine i already have a radio
Old 06-14-2009, 01:30 PM
SAVAGEJIM

For that, wich I assume is about $1600 USD, I say look for a mid-grade gasser, drop in your radio set and start racing.

You can get an MCD basic 4wd (maybe a buggy if MCD has one in a buggy form) for about $1400-1500 USD, use the rest of the money to buy a CY engine, and then hit the track
Old 06-15-2009, 02:39 AM
Foxy

Depends on the racing rules, you need to find out if enough people are running 4wd to make it worth having. If everyone's running RWD, you won't be able to race!

For your money, I'd see if I could afford an FG Baja comp (RWD)... RWD is more difficult, but also more rewarding, and more people are racing RWD cars. If you can't stretch to the comp, get the FG Baja 4wd ARTR (assuming your track will let you run 4wd.
Old 06-15-2009, 04:32 AM
dc2 man
Banned

yeah i would have to agree with foxy on the fg baja for 4x4,i have been doing a bit of research on them a while back and they look/perform excellent,and are a mighty jumper.........very well balanced........if its a local track offroad you will be going to you would be better off with 4x4.

4x4 s jump better also as they hold there balance better unlike 2wd which end up plummeting nose down 70percent of the time due to rear wheels spinning on there own causing lift at rear......

Old 06-15-2009, 11:23 AM
pagani77

it's pretty much even on the amount of people that run 4wd and 2wd also i found that alot of the people that go there run fg/hpi baja's mcd race runner's and there are a few monster trucks and an elcon cleon which looks amazing

P.S thanks for all the advice ot has been a great help

Old 06-15-2009, 01:54 PM
dgav407

pagani77, your best bet is to visit the race track and see what is being raced - speak to the drivers - we arefriendly..honest.

The majority of cars raced in the UKare 2WDs - unfortunately the 4WDs are not as robust or reliable and many racers end up selling them. Although having said that my 4WD MCD Race RunnerEvo 3was the probably only car at the Sweetnap Raceway yesterday that didn't suffer any problems - the others were mainly expensive 2WDs.

The 4WDs are no where near as good over the jumps as the 2WDs and don't waste your money on an FG 2WD - irrespectiveof how much you spend on (alloy)upgrades etc you would struggle to beat even a stock HPI Baja 5B. The FGs have not been developed to meet the ever changing racing rules and the wheelbase and track is simply too small to be competitive.

The 4WD FG Baja Sportsline is a better proposition but to date it is unproven on UK tracks. It's key advantagesare it's light weight and simple but efficient transmission. Don't spent theextra on the alloy Competition version- if you plan to spent anywhere near the cost of one get either a Hormann HT2 TK 09 or Elcon Cleon instead - they are proper racing machines.

Clive

Old 06-15-2009, 02:11 PM
pagani77

dgav isn;t sweetnap raceway near frome because i'm close to there but i never have been there to have a look
Old 06-15-2009, 03:36 PM
dgav407

Yes, it's just south of Frome. Here's the link to the official website - http://web.me.com/jmcmanus/Sweetnap_...y/Welcome.html- includes a small video of the current track layout.

It's worth coming down to the next racing on the 12th July as it's the fifth round of the British Nationals - the 2005/6largescale world champion will be racing along with most of the bestoff road racers in the UK.

I don't have any race action photos or video from the weekend but there might be some on youtube from the EFRA(International) race meeting that was held there last year.

Clive
Old 06-16-2009, 01:20 PM
pagani77

yeh i'll try and come but was wondering where did you buy your car because the only shop in the area i know is mmr large scale
thanks
Old 06-16-2009, 01:33 PM
dgav407

There are no longer any shops/dealers near to me so I use Rossendale Models or stevesracingbits for MCD parts and where possible I source parts from ebay - Ihave bought 4 largescale cars on ebay and saved plenty of cash doing so - fortunately I knew the history of the cars (ex-Teamcars)so they had been wellmaintained and set-up. One was previously owned by a former world champion..it had won every race it had been entered in.

MMR Largescale are an excellent source of largescale cars and parts.

Clive