Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Charging?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 01:06 PM
tizdaz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charging?

hi guys, i bought a new charger a few months ago (Graupner Ultramat 6)

The packs i want to charge are:

Reciever:
4300mAh 6v C-Size (5 Cells) (Similar to this pack http://www.vapextech.co.uk/acatalog/info_61.html

Transmitter:
2200mAh 9.6v (8x 1.2v AA-Cells)
8 x AA 2100mAh Nimh+
Capacity : 2100mAh Measured at 140mA (0.2C) discharge.
Max Discharge Current : 7,200mA (7.2 Amps)
Max Charge Current : 1200mA

However im kinda new to charging these types, the charger i had beforehand only did C size for my reciever, & all i had to do was connect the battery pack to my charger & press 1 button to begin charge then just leave it as it was a delta peak with cut off... The only reason why i bought a new charger was my old one would only charge my reciever packs, it was not capable of charging my transmitter pack as it had no selectable current charge etc, so i had to charge my transmitter packs using the bog standard mains adapter that had to be left to charge for hours!

So i wanted a new charger that was able to charge both my reciever & transmitter packs quickly, not at same time i know!.. just 1 at a time, i visited my model shop & he suggested this charger (Ultramat 6) he did explain to me how to use it, but that was a few months ago & ive not yet used it..but now im ready to start using my RC again, i want to use it!

now for the tech bit..

My charger has 2 seperate switches:

The 1st says "Charge Current(A)" & has a choice of either 0.2 / 0.5 & 1.0
The 2nd says NiMh/NiCd, Delta Peak (mV/Cell) & has a choice of either 5 / 10 & 20

So what i need to know is what setting do i put these switches for both the different packs i want to charge?

But what i really want it to do is charge my Transmitter packs as my reciever packs i can continue to charge on my old delta peak charger

any help much appreciated guys!

Thanks in advance

Daz
Old 04-03-2010, 02:09 PM
dimag093

Default RE: Charging?

Hey
For the transmitter pack , you should set the delta peak cut off to 10 mV and the charge current to 1.0 A(if you want a quick charge that is).It'll take about 130 min(completely discharged pack) for full charge and then it goes to trickle charge automatically.
Go easy with your battery pack though . I mean you can go with 0.5A charging . You'll make twice the time (4 hours) but it's safer for the pack .
Excessive temperature raise during charging can cause a cell to vent and/or shorten the pack's life (cycles)
Cheers mate[8D]
Old 04-03-2010, 04:43 PM
tizdaz

hiya mate & thanks for reply

im still a little confused though lol

So if i charge my transmitter pack on 10mv & current at 1.0, this will help my packs life & will take about 70mins?

thanks again dude for your help
Old 04-05-2010, 06:19 AM
dimag093

ORIGINAL: tizdaz

hiya mate & thanks for reply

im still a little confused though lol

So if i charge my transmitter pack on 10mv & current at 1.0, this will help my packs life & will take about 70mins?

thanks again dude for your help
Hey mate
I made a mistake with the time values
Having a 2200mAh pack and assuming the pack is empty(dead) you'll need about 130-140min for a full charging(1.0A setting)
On any charger,the setting of charging current will define the time needed to complete the charge eg a 1.0A charge current will supply 1000mA after 1 hour of charging (1000mAh).When a battery has a capacity of 2000mAh then you'll need about 2 hours for a full charge(2h X 1000mAh charge current = 2000mAh)
The settting of the delta peak sensitivity(Delta-V) is crucial.
When the charge process is started the battery voltage initially rises continuously.But as the pack reaches full capacity it begins to heat up.This in turn causes the battery voltage to fall slightly(Delta-V).The modern chargers equipped with a delta peak setting , can detect the voltage decline and stop the charging process.Higher delta peak setting often lead to overcharging of the batteries whereas a lower setting will often result in premature termination of the charge process.If I don't have any info from the battery manufacturer indicating the specific delta peak value I always set it to the lowest value possible in order to avoid overheating the cells
Cheers mate[8D]