Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

1/5 scales are treated unfairly

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 12:52 PM
Sherv
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/5 scales are treated unfairly

Why is it so hard to find an outdoor RC (dirt) race track and why is it infinitely harder to find one that allows 1/5... I've called 7 different tracks within a 70 mile radius and when I mention 1/5th scale.. half gasp and go no and the other half laugh and go no.
the only 1/5 scale race track I know of is 301 raceway but thats on road and that track has been closed down. No one knows if it will re-open....
Every single place I look at in MD and VA does indoor electric. (Shakes fists at electric people)...
Old 04-05-2010, 01:03 PM
savageguy25

Default RE: 1/5 scales are treated unfairly

but half the tracks are probly 1/10 scale probly..................to small for 1/5
Old 04-05-2010, 01:06 PM
jigawatt

My responses I get are "what's a 1/5 scale?" Even some motocross tracks want nothing to do with some of us I know some tracks have peewee tracks, but even so, they want nothing to do with some of us.
Old 04-05-2010, 03:05 PM
Paul1981

It's just as bad in the UK; most big places only cater to on-road nitro/electric or carpet racing electric touring.  Those few places that cater for off-road seem to only want 1/10 & 1/8 scale racers, and don't want massive, powerful 1/4, 1/5 and 1/6 scales tearing the ground up.  I think finding the land to build tracks big enough for large scales is also a big problem.  The only track I knew of that catered for large scales closed 3 years ago due to the farmer charging an extortionate amount of rent for the field we used, the money asked for just went up and up and up, and our subs in the end just could not cover the costs.  Shame really, all I can do now is bash, which is ok, but nowhere near as much fun as getting a group together and spending all day trying to wipe out your mates on the track.  With the odd bit of racing thrown in of course...
Old 04-05-2010, 03:27 PM
Plague

Isn't "just" a matter of starting some clubs for LS cars ???
In Denmark where I drive, there are about 10 offroad tracks for LS cars, It has been growing FAST the last 2 years.

I can actually understand why our LS cars are not welcome at 1:10 tracks, they will destroy the tracks in a day []
Old 04-05-2010, 03:39 PM
Miami Jato

Theres talk of an 1/5th scale off-road track in Miami to open in the near future. That's what I've heard.......
Old 04-05-2010, 04:30 PM
Freezetron

Probably has something to do with that fact that not many people can and are willing to spend $1000+ for a RC hobby grade vehicle vs something in the 1/10 1/8 scale size. Why do you think CORR truck racing has taken off like a bullet in the last two years? $200 for a nice, simple, electric RTR truck to race in local stock classes is gonna grow helluva alot faster then $1000+ 1/5 scale gas buggys
Old 04-05-2010, 04:48 PM
jigawatt

all it took was the company Traxxas to make a whole new class (going back to the 80s style st's we evolved from), throwing an insane MPH label on the box, and a TON of advertising in every magazine.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:40 PM
dealwithit
My Feedback: (55)

yah being that the slash pretty much has its own class lol