Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Plastic gear covers

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 09:38 PM
Mudgy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plastic gear covers

OK so I don't own a buggy.

BUT:

I see on a few of these vehicles, especially the 4WD jobs, a clear cover midship for the gears.
1. Is this just thin lexcan, like what the bodies are made from?

2. are there better ones available?

3. how well do they really keep rubbish out?

I'm just thinking out loud, why hasn't anybody used one of these covers to be a plug, and build a decent fibreglass cover that seals off the dirt?
To me these look like a weak point in the cars.

Or are the standard plastic covers OK?

only thinkin'.......[sm=idea.gif]
Old 05-22-2010, 10:23 PM
dealwithit
My Feedback: (55)

Default RE: Plastic gear covers

the cheap cars (FS racing cars, or the same style clones) have that stupid lexan cover, but the bottom 5mm is chopped off giving the gears full exposure to rocks and such. i fiberglassed over the hole to try top seal it up and siliconed it all together after giving a good coat of grease to the gears. on my redcat it had an actual plastic cover that wasnt cut, it had a white color to it and you cant see through it. the clear ones are all made of lexan, thick, but still lexan.
Old 05-23-2010, 05:46 AM
tizdaz

i use a gear cover for my FG MB Pro, its a lexan one that FG make.

I had to chop a little of the rear of it (but only a little) as the spur would rub against it, as for keeping debris out, yup! ...not once when i get home & inspect have i seen any stones/muck etc jammed in there, only thing thats gets in is... dust & they last a long time, had mine now for about 3 years, still no cracks or holes & going strong

WELL worth the money dude
Old 05-23-2010, 12:33 PM
dealwithit

what side is yours on, if looking from the rear of the vehicle, the left or the right? im talking about the ones on the right side covering 4 gears. i have a smartech buggy as well with a clear plastic cover on the gears on the left side, only covering 2 gears (one plastic) and its up much higher and looks like a better design. the ones on the right side (fs redcat and cen style) are really low and right in the middle of the chassis and over hangs the side exposed to rocks. the radcats have a large plastic side of the chassis that covers the cover from any damage (good idea) but the fs does not.
Old 05-23-2010, 12:34 PM
dealwithit

redcat

smartech spyder (fg clone)

fs racing (poo)