RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Giant Scale Cars (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-giant-scale-cars-234/)
-   -   Build baja 5b in 1/3 scale (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-giant-scale-cars-234/11588279-build-baja-5b-1-3-scale.html)

payambs 10-13-2013 12:39 PM

Build A baja 5b in 1/3 scale (HELP)

hi guys , i'm trying to build the baja 5b in 1/3 scale size, i want to know what kind of engine i have to use on this? (POWERFUL ENGINE)

please provide me some detail about this and tell me what about gearbox and clutch? the engine it comes with gear box and clutch or i have to buy it separately ??

Also i want to know if i buy some engine for this scale is it possible to use the 1/5 scale gearbox and clutch

I want some engine realli fast like
RCMax 70cc Baja Engine

Dirty_Vinylpusher 10-13-2013 12:52 PM

A good quality pocketbike motor will do the trick.

it comes with clutch as well.

payambs 10-13-2013 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Dirty_Vinylpusher (Post 11637761)
A good quality pocketbike motor will do the trick.

it comes with clutch as well.

the pocketbike engine its not powerful !! i want some engine realli fast like
RCMax 70cc Baja Engine

stiggwelder 10-13-2013 02:20 PM

hi mate, looked into this a lot, what I think would do it is a motocross motor, you would need to sort a clutch and gearchange mode, I have some ideas for my build ,

payambs 10-13-2013 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by stiggwelder (Post 11637812)
hi mate, looked into this a lot, what I think would do it is a motocross motor, you would need to sort a clutch and gearchange mode, I have some ideas for my build ,

see i want something one speed like 1/5 !! and how can i sort them?

stiggwelder 10-13-2013 02:47 PM

cant really advise, 1/5 scale gearboxes cant take the strain of bigger wheels, getting wheels is another issure if your going scale look,

payambs 10-13-2013 03:55 PM

motocross engine it's not the good idea

RCHS1 10-13-2013 07:08 PM

Just put some servos on a ATV - figure out how to make it work then start choppin and welding . For something of that size and weight you better have acces to a machine shop

Dirty_Vinylpusher 10-13-2013 10:57 PM

I don't think a lot of thought has gone in to this project so far other than I WANT IT TO BE BIG AND FAST!!!!!!

Should be interesting.

phmaximus 10-13-2013 11:07 PM

1/3 scale.... What about a real car.... Like a little hatchback and go from there??

phmaximus 10-13-2013 11:12 PM

Cheap hatch back
convert the windscreen motor into a steering servo
1/5 servo for automatic gearbox
1/8 servo for throttle
brakes..... Ummmmm hydraulic ram?
presto... One big fast car?

and u could go nuts with a angle grinder and a welder to make it look madmax style?

payambs 10-14-2013 11:17 AM

i want gas engine, with auto clutch

Mudgy 10-15-2013 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by payambs (Post 11637752)
hi guys , i'm trying to build the baja 5b in 1/3 scale size, i want to know what kind of engine i have to use on this? (POWERFUL ENGINE)

please provide me some detail about this and tell me what about gearbox and clutch? the engine it comes with gear box and clutch or i have to buy it separately ??

Also i want to know if i buy some engine for this scale is it possible to use the 1/5 scale gearbox and clutch

I want some engine realli fast like
RCMax 70cc Baja Engine

Have you looked at Tanaka motors? 40cc carrying an 82kg rider is no slouch, especially with all the good bits added on.

As for the frame, perhaps a cheap way to visualize this is to make a quick 'mock - up" of the chassis. one way is electrical conduit and cable ties, just to give you an idea of real size, and layout.
Another is good ol' pencil and paper.

Before looking deep into gearboxes, and motors, maybe work out some basics first.

Your plan, if you have one, is what?

Chassis material? Welded tubes, or folded alloy like the real deal?

Scale size? put a masking tape rectangle on the floor, then you'll see what 1:3 is.

Estimate mass, then decide what power you can use, together with how you transmit the power - which leads to - output drive, gears, diff, drive shafts.
For a heavier 1:3 application, NONE of the 1:5 stuff will be of any real use to you, except for samples to build a bigger part yourself.

How close to the original do want to stay?

Then there's the idea - where do I find suspension parts/shocks/wheels/tyres?

You need a grasp on all of these before rushing in, otherwise you will have an abandoned project, or a finished one that cost you an arm, leg, and maybe a kidney.

payambs 10-15-2013 11:08 AM

can u tell me how can i convert the 1:5 to 1:3 size ? is it twice ??

Dirty_Vinylpusher 10-15-2013 12:23 PM

This might give you a few ideas: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-g...oject-vid.html

payambs 10-15-2013 02:51 PM

can i use the paramotor engine ?

Lars from Norway 10-15-2013 03:28 PM

Have you ever seen a plane (or something with a propel as propulsion) with a clutch?

payambs 10-15-2013 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Lars from Norway (Post 11639459)
Have you ever seen a plane (or something with a propel as propulsion) with a clutch?

can i ask u something? the paramotor engine is really like baja 5b engine , what u mean? its not possible to use it for 1/4 scale ?

Dirty_Vinylpusher 10-15-2013 07:00 PM

Some of them do actually have a clutch and built in gearbox so yes you could use one..

Mudgy 10-15-2013 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by payambs (Post 11639292)
can u tell me how can i convert the 1:5 to 1:3 size ? is it twice ??

Measure the part you want to copy. Multiply its dimensions by 5, then divide by 3. There's your 1:3 scale part size.

payambs 10-16-2013 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by Mudgy (Post 11639738)
Measure the part you want to copy. Multiply its dimensions by 5, then divide by 3. There's your 1:3 scale part size.

actually i think is better to make it 1.5 size ! can u tell me the size of the 1.4 how can i divide the size ?

Dirty_Vinylpusher 10-16-2013 01:39 AM

You're not REALLY going to build anything are you?
You ask all these questions, people give you advice and you just ignore it and move on to talking about something else.
Or act as if you can't understand the simplest statements.

Keep it up and eventually nobody will talk to you anymore.

There's plenty of people here who are able to offer advice and suggestions for home made projects if you are serious about making something.
Keep acting like a troll and you will be treated like one.

You say you're "trying to build" a 1:3 scale Baja.
That sounds like as if you've already started.
Post some pictures of what you've got so far (if anything)

payambs 10-16-2013 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by Dirty_Vinylpusher (Post 11639765)
You're not REALLY going to build anything are you?
You ask all these questions, people give you advice and you just ignore it and move on to talking about something else.
Or act as if you can't understand the simplest statements.

Keep it up and eventually nobody will talk to you anymore.

There's plenty of people here who are able to offer advice and suggestions for home made projects if you are serious about making something.
Keep acting like a troll and you will be treated like one.

You say you're "trying to build" a 1:3 scale Baja.
That sounds like as if you've already started.
Post some pictures of what you've got so far (if anything)

lol ! if i don get any information how can i build something ? !! i think You're so jealous

Lars from Norway 10-16-2013 03:36 PM

Look through some or all of these threads: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-g...st-topics.html to see what you are getting yourself into. Or use the search function here, i think there are some threads here not being on that list. And i think i would have whispered before i scream here, to call DVP jealous will fall on its own unreasonableness.

Sorry about my statement about the paramotor, i was a bit to quick there.

Mudgy 10-16-2013 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by payambs (Post 11639752)
actually i think is better to make it 1.5 size ! can u tell me the size of the 1.4 how can i divide the size ?

I assume you have a Baja or clone or something to use as your base measurements?

So if you have a 1:5 vehicle, measure the part from this, multiply your dimensions by 5 (to get a 1:1 scale measurement) Then divide that number by 4 then. (for 1:4 scale)

example. from 1:5 to 1:3rd. Say you have a 5mm dia. shaft somewhere on the Baja.

so a 5mm dia shaft x 5 = 25mm. Divide that by 3. = new part diameter 8.333mm

Same to go to 1:4 scale. The 5mm dia 1:5 scale shaft x 5 is 25mm, divide by 4 and you will need (for a 1:4 scale) a shaft that is 6.25mm diameter.

Otherwise to get from 1:3 to 1:5 multiply all measurements by 1.666667
1:3 to 1:4 multiply all measurements by 1.25