Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

New to Gliders - Where do I look for info?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

New to Gliders - Where do I look for info?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 08:55 PM
stoney7713

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New to Gliders - Where do I look for info?

Can you post a link to the handbook on sailplanes, I tried finding it but I keep getting 404 error.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:25 PM
SeamusG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The link is forums.flyesl.com/topic.asp

The site is Eastern Soaring League ->Forums -> The Novice Lounge -> (sticky)The New Glider Pilot's Handbook.

Really good stuff.

Old 10-21-2010, 11:42 AM
stoney7713

Thanks for the link but I'm still getting an error for some reason, thought it may have been Firefox but IE is doing it too.... I'll figure something out
Old 10-21-2010, 12:27 PM
SeamusG

Stoney - I use Firefox exclusively with big brother "Norton" peaking at everything.

Try just doin' a search on Eastern Soaring League and navigating as suggested with the "->" thingies ...
Old 11-09-2010, 09:48 PM
stoney7713

I don't know if the site was down for a couple days or if some Microsoft bloatware update fixed it but I got to it, thanks everyone, lots of good information.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:20 PM
Tall Paul

Smith Brother's Hobby in Northridge have the original GL on display.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:51 PM
planefreak123
My Feedback: (5)

Hey guys!

Ok, so im new to gliding and a friend of mine gave me a 2 meter glider (no idea what kind it is cuz it dosent say on it) i fly powerd airplanes usually, so this is new territory. Just wondering if you guys could give me some tips on getting  started. and another thing is i dont really have and slopes around just a big field behind my house surrounded by trees. Im just going to hand launch i from my deck. will this be sufficient in getting it launched and going.

thanks,

PLF
Old 02-04-2011, 06:48 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: SeamusG

I guess the result of asking the question and reading aeajr's excellent primer is that I am know "familiar" enough with gliders that I can have a reasonable conversation with glider pilots. You won't find many gliders flown at my club but I've found that most guys that you meet at the field (if not all) have at least one glider back at the house. Things that I learned today:
    [*]I now know that dynamic glider pilots need to be put in straight jackets![*]I now know that Mt. Zion is just down the road from my club's field and NOT in Zion National Park, UT.[*]I understand why foam-n-glass makes very good sense for a slope glider - don't take a balsa / film covered plane to Mt. Zion.[*]I'm not sure that I'm fit enough to fly combat 'cause I'd go for plenty of walks to pick up my plane. Em, maybe that IS a fitness plan.[*]For soaring, wind direction DOES count.[*]Hi-starts don't work at our field 'cause we have these big-n-ugly weeds that will snag the cord every time (or the prairie dog mounds).[/list]A plan seems to be emerging - an EP glider for the field, a glider capable of slopes, and maybe a "wing" for those times when ya just have to knock something out of the sky (probably myself). Under NO circumstances a dynamic flight glider.

It has been a while. Are you soaring with the eagles yet?
Old 05-14-2011, 06:37 PM
Ronbo690

I'm living at an altitude of 7200 ft and would like to start flying EP Gliders. Is there any information out there about a Glider that preforms well at this Altitude? I have been flying a friends ROC 2000 (78") but the responce of the plane leaves a lot to be desired at this altitude. I have been looking at a 87" wing span 3 channel glider but am not sure if I should be getting a 3, 4 or 5 channel plane. Any suggestions?
Old 05-14-2011, 09:37 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Ronbo, your question deserves its own thread as it's quite different from and specific to your situation than the topic in this one. Please cut and paste your question to a new thread and then I'll delete yours and my posts and let this thead go back down.

Locked until I see you've posted a "New Topic".
Old 05-10-2013, 12:34 PM
tjones1

I received a sailplane from a friend and he said it was a sailplane designed by Charles Eaic. does anybody have any information?
Old 05-12-2013, 03:01 PM
expose
Banned

ORIGINAL: aeajr

ORIGINAL: SeamusG

Hey OzMO,

I spent some quality time this morning reading all posts included in the last 20 some pages of threads in this forum. I found the New Glider Pilot's Handbook by Ed Anderson (aeajr?). Thus the "never mind".

I'm thinking that Ed's handbook thread should be a sticky in this forum along with his "Learning to use a high-start" thread. Would'a saved a bunch of time.

I'm seriously considering building an EP-glider (kit form - no ARFs in this house ). A friend and my building mentor owns a LHS. He's built several EP-gliders and has offered to help in modifying non-EP ready kits to accept the EP stuff. He has a sweet DynaFlite Bird of Time with EP mods. He's a very good builder. My initial flying will be powered take off to altitude then play with the eagles 'n hawks at our field (starting at 5900 feet). Who knows, the Denver area probably has some pretty decent slopes (I'm just guessing - a bit of understatement if you catch my cynical drift ...). Maybe a "warmliner" might be something that would work too. Don't know yet. I have a couple of glow planes that need covered / repaired.

I have no desire for competition on the horizon though we have some club-sponsored vintage events. They aren't purists until the guy with "non-period" modifications wins then they scream bloody murder. Later, they offer him good money for his non-compliant equipment. Emmmmm, if winning isn't everything ...
Glad you found the New Glider Pilot's Handbook helpful.

Anything that you feel is missing?

Don't forget the Eastern Soaring League's Novice Lounge:
http://forums.flyesl.com/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=14

How long have you been including the link to detecting thermals? Its info is true. Wait for the lull. Same info I put out on youtube....

Funny how this info is not included in a glider kit when you open the box ha

Old 05-12-2013, 03:31 PM
aeajr

About 8 years.  I have been flying for 10.

Old 05-12-2013, 03:32 PM
aeajr

ORIGINAL: tjones1

I received a sailplane from a friend and he said it was a sailplane designed by Charles Eaic. does anybody have any information?
We will need a LOTmore information including some photos.

Wing span
materials
construction

Have you done a search on Charles Eaic?
Old 05-15-2013, 01:02 PM
tjones1

Now the person that gave me the sailplane the sailplane designer is Frank Zaic.
The fuselage is 148.5" long and the tail section is 7" high.
I have been told that there was no "T" tail.
The rear of the fuselage radio section looks like a tail of a boat. I do not know if that is the designer's trait or not.
The horizontal tail section is rubber banded on.
Attached please find pictures (3) to try to determine the sailplane's ID. - Please let me know if the pictures are to big in size as it did not so indicate
Thank you .
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99600.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	1882234   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lh18355.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	1882235   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze86047.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	1882236  
Old 05-17-2013, 12:01 PM
tjones1

The sailplane wing span is 3.2 Meters. The fuselage is of a Wood construction.