Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Adding flaps and spoilers??

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2003, 08:24 PM
Beulzabob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding flaps and spoilers??

I have a 2M RE type plane and would like to build a wing with a combination of spoiler and flaps. I'm getting a Flash 5 transmitter and hope to do the mixing using it. I'm completely new to this idea and was wondering if someone could posts pics and provide ideas on this conversion, especially regarding the ratio for the flap/spoiler setting. I'd like to set them to be completely adjustable with a servo in each wing for the spoilers, but am not sure of the best way to actuate the flaps with this setup. 2 servos for the flaps or one servo with center linkage?

Old 08-13-2003, 06:16 PM
Beulzabob

Default Anyone, Bueller???

Okay, no one likes that post. How about this? I have a plane that is hard to slow down for landings. Which is better for slowing the plane without stalling, flaps or spoilers?

Thanks,

Robert
Old 08-13-2003, 09:33 PM
probligo

From my own point of view -

Spoilers - destroy lift, are either on or off.

Flaps - increase lift and drag, making slower speed possible, can be "infinitely adjustable" between nothing and a lot.

Combination - only if you have major problems breaking through ground effect.

If you have the room in the wing, or a two piece wing, or a dihedral angle at the wing root, or any "rake" on the flap leading edge, or any possibility of flex at the wing root, then servos in each wing is the only way to go. In other words, I can't think of many instances where I would be happy with one servo driving flaps.
Old 08-14-2003, 02:14 AM
Beulzabob

Thanks Probligo,

Do you know of any links on how to size the flaps for a glider or any construction how-tos? I was thinking of doing a servo in each wing because I'm not a fan of all the other "plumbing" involved with single servo setups. I do get quite a bit of ground effect on these hot Texas fields, but I want to try a wing with just one extra control and if that isn't enough then I'll add the other, in this case, spoilers. People seem to be very opinionated about which is better. I think it has more to do with where and how you fly.

Robert
Old 08-14-2003, 07:28 AM
probligo

Hey!! be guided by the experts!!!

Slink on in to your local LHS, browse the magazines, take a peek at any "Sale on behalf" models, take a peek at one or two kits.

Learn to eyeball - 25% chord? 10% chord?

Read the magazines again. Mebbe even buy one or two that have comparable models. Libraries are a good resource as well.

I have a Elite ARF with flaps, about 20%C, and about 10" long.
Old 08-14-2003, 03:28 PM
Beulzabob

Hi,

Who makes the Elite? I'm just looking for some general guidelines. Our local LHS's are a bit of a joke when it comes to stock,magazines, or knowledge about glider matters. Burns most of us up out here. This is why many of us have written off the LHS and gone primarily to web based businesses. Thank god for the chat forums! This is my experimental bird. The first one I built got away from me. Really, I have no idea where it is now. the second is still flying, although quite rashed up from this seasons landings and/or repairs. The third or 2b model I made is a glow powered version that uses the same wings as my other plane. I'm deciding against spoilers for now, because I can get it down, I just want to improve the accuracy of my landings. As you can see, I'm game to experiment.

Thanks again,

Robert
Old 08-16-2003, 04:51 AM
davensocal

Try Spoilerons..

Build it with ailerons, use two servos, and mix it in with the throttle stick..

You will also need a little elevator (down?) to compensate for the pitching..

Set the spoilers to be full throw, adjusted with the throttle stick.

They will allow you to come in high, and then bring up the spoilers.. Now you will be able to descend without gaining speed.

If you look at flaperons (ailerons that work as flaps too), they can be a problem because they add a huge amount of camber to the wing tips, and make tip stalls likely to happen..

In any case, if you use seperate aileron servos, you can mix it either way and see what you like.

Now if you really want to get fancy, set up another mix so that you can bring both ailerons up or down about 1/4".

bringing them down helps you to float and stay in lift, bringing them up may speed you up quite a bit..

If you get bored, check out the Prodij at www.f3x.com nice molded plane with spoilerons

good luck!
Old 08-16-2003, 09:36 PM
probligo

Beulzabob

It is the full house ARF version of Spirit. Only way I can get a better than half decent model in short time is ARF - it's also the first ARF I have ever tried. And first really serious rc model. And I am really trying hard to learn to fly it. Weather has been so sh!!tty recently that any flying has to involve floats or hulls.

Time out - got three models to repair, one to modify, and one to think about. In order, ffhlg, ffhlg, vintage ff power, F1A, vintage ff power for 2 channel radio (A Texaco or climb and glide)
Old 08-16-2003, 11:32 PM
Beulzabob

Probligo -

Oh, you mean a Spirit Elite! I was thinking about getting the 100" kit. I think I'll check out the online manual at GreatPlanes to see how they implement their ailerons/flaps. I've got that plane on my RealFlight simulator.

Davidhnsocal -

I think I will build an aileron/flaps version of my wing. I finally got enough reliability out of my cox .049 setup that I was able to get a nice launch height. I'm having to fight to keep it going straight though, and that's only with a 5 mph wind. I think it will be easier to control with ailerons.

Thanks guys,

Robert
Old 08-17-2003, 09:23 AM
probligo

In the wing servos - four of them (two each side).
Old 08-20-2003, 07:02 PM
Beulzabob

One last question guys,

How strong of a servo will I need if I build it with spoilers with one servo in each wing? I'm thinking of using Hitec micros, HS-55's I think.

Thanks,

Robert
Old 08-20-2003, 09:58 PM
evlwevl-RCU

Default I'd go with the spoiler setup as opposed to flaps

I just finished building a RE plane and I was already looking at how to incorporated spoilers which seems to be the standard in some of the bent wing planes. I had gone to my local hobby shop and opened a box with an ARF RES plane to measure the spoiler blades to get an idea of how long to make them and where to put them in relation to the airfoil. I was going to run a single servo resessed in the center of the wing. This servo would be a micro sized metal gear pulling downward while linked up to the spoiler mechanism via carbon fiber string. The string would run in plastic tubes much like standard control rod but bent very gradually to allow the string to move without binding. This way you can adjust the pull on both of them so they open at the same time and using the throttle stick you can proportionally control both of them from fully closed to fully opened. A spring would be set into the hinge of the blade to allow full adjustment and a small magnet and thin metal plate set respectively to keep them closed when you wanted them closed.

Well anyway, this is how I saw many models set up that were used by some of the competition pilots. its seems to work very well. After a few flights with my plane, I realized there were not needed as my plane landed very slow. Oh well, I'll use the design on my next plane which will be 3meters and will really need spoilers.