Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Cometition sailplane?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 07:43 AM
planefreak123
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cometition sailplane?

Hey everybody, I was wanting to get a more high performance glider in the near future. Just wondering if anybody knows of a good (affordable) sailplane. I'm looking for a thermal sailplane.
Thanks in advance,

PlF
Old 06-16-2011, 07:49 AM
TIA

Default RE: Cometition sailplane?

As you know with all competition type events, you gotta pay to play with the big boys.

The top plane I've seen right now is an "Aspire" brought to you by Larry Jolly. (Full House)

Otherwise are you looking for balsa buildup, RES, etc...?

The AVA or Danny is a nice RES. If you want to be competetive on a budget try looking for a Hera model like the Artemis or Experience Pro. http://www.f3x.com/

Old 06-16-2011, 09:25 PM
kwmtrubrit

Not wishing to be a total jerk about your question, but it's so vague you may not get the answers you are looking for, even if a number of people responded. I would imagin that some won't respond because of that. May I suggest that you put down a monatery amount that "you" can afford. What you call affordable may be out of my range. Would you prefer a kit, moldie, or one like the Dragonfly Strong, a glass fuse and built up wing? Do you want a RES or full house, does that matter? You could go look at soaringusa.com and arthobbies.com. to name just two companies. That might give you some idea what's out there. Good luck.
Old 06-17-2011, 03:24 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

What do you consider affordable?

I love my Kennedy composites Supra. They say the new Pro version is even better. About $1400. The Supra is flown in world class competitions all the time.

www.kennedycomposites.com

If your preference is more to RESgliders, then the AVAis about as good as it gets. I love mine! Also from Kennedy composites. About $900.

To round out the field, the Blaster is a great DLG. I have the Blaster 2. The Blaster 3 is now available. $475. Also from Kennedy Composites. The one downside of the Blaster is that the wing, being hollow molded, and very light, is also a bit delicate. No problem with day to day flying, butif you have a mid air with another DLG, the Blaster will typically sustain more wing damage than the other plane. Other than that, a great competition DLG. My other DLG is a Polecat XP5. I love it but it is no longer made.

If these area bit too muchfor your budget, look here:

Step-up or Intermediate Gliders
2 meter
All sizes
Old 06-17-2011, 07:45 AM
planefreak123
My Feedback: (5)

I'm looking for a 2m thermal duration sailplane. I'm not to specific as to the build. Price range from 200 to 500.What do you guys think of the Spirit Elite By GP? Would this be a descant entry level model? Right now I'm just trying to get an idea of whats out there.
Old 06-17-2011, 03:11 PM
aeajr

As an entry level full house glider it is pretty good.  Several of our members have them and like them.  It is a bit heavy by current standards, but if you keep the speed up it flies well.  Also great on the slope.
Old 06-17-2011, 03:50 PM
kwmtrubrit

Anything against foam? I recently got my first "electric powered sailplane," the Radian Pro. I'm a purist and didn't want to venture to the E-power side of sailplanes, but for convenience of launching and a bloody good flier, the Radian Pro is an outstanding full house sailplane.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:38 AM
aeajr

ORIGINAL: planefreak123

I'm looking for a 2m thermal duration sailplane. I'm not to specific as to the build. Price range from 200 to 500.What do you guys think of the Spirit Elite By GP? Would this be a descant entry level model? Right now I'm just trying to get an idea of whats out there.
Just to be clear, certainly not a competition grade glider, but fun anyway.

The Organic would be pretty competitive for a 2M full house - about $750
http://www.kennedycomposites.com/organic.htm

The Alto might be of interest
http://www.soaringusa.com/products/p...ategory_id=258

Wisper looks interesting
http://www.soaringusa.com/products/p...ategory_id=258