Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Interest in Gliding

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 01:16 PM
Cruz6794

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interest in Gliding

Hello I want to get into unpowered gliding and want to know if long sloping hills or wide open flatlands are suitable for thermal gliding. Also if you have any recommendations in good gliders to start with let me know. Thanks!
Old 01-03-2013, 03:46 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Interest in Gliding

All you need is room for your launch stuff for thermal flying. You don't need that for slope, just a slope with enough room. That room is side to side.

What you look for is fairly clear open ground for a high start. Crops and brush make line retrieval a nightmare. It is nice to have the trees rather far from the launch area.

With slope, you need them facing the prevailing winds. Otherwise, they're seldom flyable and are useless most of the time.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:56 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The ideal thermal sites have somewhat varied terrain. People usually think something like a huge sod farm would be perfect. It is perfect when they are cutting sod and there are big patches of exposed dirt. When it's all grass, the thermal generation is unpredictable and unreliable. The perfect places have areas of ground that heat up next to areas that don't.

I often fly in a flood plain beside my neighborhood. The house roofs and streets generate thermals reliably when the sun is reliable. Being next to a large grassy field helps. Days with some clouds help too. MOF, those kind of days were what was needed back when I flew on a huge sod farm. The areas of sunlight moving along the grass made all that uniform ground heat up 'un-uniformly.'
Old 01-03-2013, 07:16 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What he said All I can add is try it!

I really like my Gentle Lady but only over the Sig Riser. Both are really easy going ships.
I would also recomend starting with a motorglider to get the hang of finding lift once you are in the air.
Finding lift and keeping the plane flying without power is a great challenge. Having a motor to bail you out makes things more comfortable.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:01 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The glider I recommend to new thermal pilots is the ParkZone RTF.   Easy to fly, easy to themal, hard to break and easy to fix.  If you join our sailplane club and ask what would be your best first glider the Radian is likely the one we will recommend.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/radian-rtf-PKZ4700

You only use the motor to get to soaring height.  After that you are flying a glider.

> The New Glider Pilot's Handbook
Old 02-10-2013, 07:14 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Have you tried soaring?