Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

E-flight Adagio anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 03:40 PM
Ernie Misner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E-flight Adagio anyone?

The e-flight Adagio caught my interest so I pre-ordered one from Horizon. At 56" and only 12.6 oz it should be a great flyer for thermals, and is mildly aerobatic as well. I had to google "adagio" and turns out it is a musical term that mean calm and slowly!

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...-basic-EFL6550
Old 01-04-2015, 08:14 PM
pikeman401
My Feedback: (1)

Hi This plane caught my interest also. What do you think?
Old 01-04-2015, 09:43 PM
D400webb

It's certainly a nice looking plane. The low, 12.6 oz flying weight certainly suggests that it may indeed be capable of thermaling; there are 1.5 m HLGs that aren't much lighter than this. Had they mentioned the type of foil profile, or even included the wing area in the specs (or even better, the wing loading), it should give a better indication. The flaps though, suggest to me a faster foil that might make this a better light-lift sloper, but I've been wrong before.

I did get the impression from the customer reviews that there may be some inconsistency in the build quality though, so you might be well advised to check it out very carefully before tossing it into the blue.

I'm pretty sure the name Adagio has been used for an rc glider before, and of course there is some tradition of using musical tempo terms for glider airframes (Allegro, Vivace, Andante, Presto); I kind of like the idea, since I consider there to be a bit of 'art' to relying on rising air to keep a plane aloft. Might want to stay away from any model named "Prestissimo" though.
Old 01-05-2015, 05:48 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

It will work lift with the flaps cracked

Wingspan: 56”
Wing Area: 242 sq inches
Wing Loading: 6.6 oz /sq ft
Wing Cube Loading: 5.1
Airfoil: Flat bottom
Length: 29.9”
Weight: 11.2 oz
Old 01-05-2015, 07:26 AM
D400webb

You're more resourceful than I am Andy, I couldn't find anything that listed wing loading or airfoil; where on earth did you find it?
Old 01-05-2015, 07:29 AM
BarracudaHockey

I reviewed that plane for Model Aviation so I had to work up the measurements, E-Flite doesn't provide that data for micros.
Old 01-05-2015, 09:42 AM
D400webb

Cool!

I've noticed that there are seldom foil or loading specs for foamies/park flyers/BNFs. Considering that these are specs that are quite important to have (at least for me, and people I used to fly with) in order to gain some idea of how a prospective airframe is going to perform, why do you suppose they often don't bother with them? At the risk of upsetting the park-flyer e-glider folks, it makes me wonder whether the manufacturers even consider the build quality sufficient for those specs to be overly meaningful.

I only say this because I picked up a couple of electric BNFs and cheapie radios a few weeks back so that my youngest daughter and I could get out and enjoy some air time together. After experiencing horrendous difficulty trying to trim these planes in flight, I spent a bit of time with them on the bench and discovered that the wings were twisted in opposite directions (and not the same for the two otherwise identical models). In retrospect, I probably should have expected something like this from the outset, since the Rxs were not secured in the fuselage, the battery compartment area was much bigger than the batteries, there was no information on where to position the Rx or batteries within those areas, and no info on CG location! Considering too that foamies like these are often much smaller than the 1.5/2m or larger airframes commonly considered to be large enough to have reasonable stability (i.e., not overly sensitive to CG and trim), how can we expect new-comers and park flyers to fly these models efficiently and find a level of enjoyment that they stick with the hobby?
Old 01-05-2015, 09:58 AM
BarracudaHockey

Sorry, not sure why the choose to not publish, or not bother with those spec's because they deem them unimportant on a plane that size?

Dunno.

Its a fun little plane, AS3X makes it handle wind reasonably well.
Old 01-23-2015, 12:55 PM
BarracudaHockey

http://www.theparkpilot.org/adagio