Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Horizon hobby Big ASW 20

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 07:12 AM
patrnflyr
My Feedback: (7)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Horizon hobby Big ASW 20

Maybe I've missed the thread doing a search but here it goes:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/product/...s%29-p-han4955

Gliders aren't my principal choice for RC planes but this plane sure is attractive. Much more, to me, than the Blanik. I presently only own a Mystique and Radian and winds here in West Texas make a glider impractical...

What do you all think of this plane?

Last edited by patrnflyr; 01-10-2015 at 07:15 AM.
Old 01-10-2015, 11:15 AM
D400webb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have no experience with the model; I just wanted to say that it's too bad that one of the best places in the world for full-sized gliders (I'm thinking down around Marfa though), is too windy for model soaring (I'm just assuming you're saying it's too windy for thermaling). I know your area of West Texas essentially defined "flat", but there must be some opportunity for slope gliding maybe?

Last edited by D400webb; 01-10-2015 at 02:26 PM.
Old 01-10-2015, 02:50 PM
patrnflyr
My Feedback: (7)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Marfa is five hours away from Lubbock! (Yes it's a BIG state). No slope soaring around here. We had a little slope that we flew ridge rats on in the 80's but it's solid rocks. We built the ridge rats for crashing so they were ok for that. The full scale glider's soaring association is based in Hobbs, NM which is only an hour and a half away, but our winds are pretty brutal about November thru May. My son was interested in this plane and pointed it out to me and he lives in the DFW area which it would be perfect for...