Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

A Fun e-glider event on Long Island, NY April 25, 26 2015

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

A Fun e-glider event on Long Island, NY April 25, 26 2015

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 09:44 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default A Fun e-glider event on Long Island, NY April 25, 26 2015

The Long Island Silent Flyers would like to announce that we will be hosting the Eastern Soaring League on April 25 and 26 for an Altitude Limited Electric Soaring Contest, ALES. All AMA members are welcome.

Registration site:
http://www.flyesl.org/Contest.aspx?contestid=193

If you have ANY problems registering let me know.

Description:

This will be a electric launched thermal duration soaring contest flown under AMA rules for event 631, Altitude Limited Electric Soaring, ALES. See page 12 at this link:
https://www.modelaircraft.org/files/...16Electric.pdf

Contest results will be reported to both the Eastern Soaring League and the ALES League.

All gliders will require an ALES device set to 200 meters. If you are not familiar with ALES devices you can read more about them here:http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ht=ALES+Device

A maximum registration of 44 pilots has been set to insure plenty of room for everyone to fly and land with no overlap of landing circles.

You can learn more about the club and the flying field at www.lisf.org

We will fly Expert Class, Sportsman Class and Novice Class.

Expert and Sportsman awards to 3rd place.

All Novice pilots will receive a certificate. Novice fly FREE.

For GPS and MapQuest users, the address for the field entrance is 25 Southwoods Road, Syosset, NY 11792.

If you need a place to stay you can find information about options here:
http://www.flyesl.org/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=318

LISF is very friendly to new pilots and those who have never flown an ALES contest before. We have been hosting ESL TD and DLG contests for years. This will be our first hosted ESL ALES contest.

If you have questions, please ask. That is the purpose of this discussion thread.

Ed Anderson and George Hill - Co-CDs
Old 01-29-2015, 08:46 AM
aeajr

Well, it is only January and we already have 6 pilots registered. That's a good sign that this event should be well attended. Love to get four flight groups of 7 to 8 pilots each.

We have plenty of room to support up to 13 pilots per flight group but we don't plan it to get that large. 8 per flight group would be a very nice number. When we run TD contests we usually have 8 in the air at once and it works very well.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:58 PM
aeajr

This winter is getting me down. Field is covered with 4-8 inches of snow and the access road is covered in ice. Can't wait till spring.
Really looking forward to this ESL contest.
Old 02-16-2015, 12:53 PM
Aquila1954
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aeajr
This winter is getting me down. Field is covered with 4-8 inches of snow and the access road is covered in ice. Can't wait till spring.
Really looking forward to this ESL contest.
With all that snow and ice that you people are getting there on the upper East Coast, you probably won't be thawed out till May. Back here in Nebraska, we still have a little snow. But what is giving me colds all the time is the see-saw of up and down temps. 40's one time and then 20's the next day and so on. Have fun.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:28 AM
aeajr

The snow has melted, the grass is getting green and I was out flying last weekend. Spring is a couple days away.

I am looking forward to this contest.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:05 AM
aeajr

I had someone suggest that we should include a foamy class. I have not been inclined to do this but the Novice class could meet this requirement.

Novice does not count toward ESL standing so I can be much more lax here. Could even, potentially, allow planes that don't have an ALES device fly in Novice class.

What do you think?
Old 04-03-2015, 06:17 PM
aeajr

We now have 14 pilots registered. Come join us.
Old 04-11-2015, 12:23 PM
aeajr

We are up to 15 pilots and we have our first Novice. So if you are coming and you have that hesitant newbie that you would like to take on an adventure, bring them along. There will be at least one other Novice at the event. We will make every effort to make Novices feel welcome and comfortable.

Also, assuming that eSAP follows the same guidelines as SAP, the contest will now qualify for eSAP Level 4 contest points. And note, this is an AMA sanctioned event.

I expect we will get at least 5 more pilots by time of the contest. so you Level 5 eSAP pilots should now be comfortable to register. I know you guys like to hang back.
Old 04-18-2015, 02:04 PM
aeajr

I was at the field today to check out conditions. The field is in perfect condition. In fact they give us one of the largest grass cuts we have had in years. The entire 800x1600 feet of the field was cut. I posted photos below. We could have a 10 pilot flight group spread out with 100 feet between pilots if we wanted to. But we won't.

Long range Forecast for the weekend is 55 degrees and sunny. Perfect!

I was at the field today doing my final tune-up and check out. Needed some minor adjustments on my back-up plane, a Radian pro that has an upgraded prop and battery but is otherwise stock.

My main e-glider is a Supra Pro wing on a Supra Pro fuse that was converted to electric by my friend George. George will be co-CD for this event.

Right now we have 16 registered but people at the field today said they were going sign up and I have received a few e-mails from remote folks who plan to come. I think we will have 24 or more. At 24 that would be 3 flight groups of 8 pilots each or 4 groups of 6. We will decide at the contest. That should be perfect.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-04-18 09.48.34.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	1.48 MB
ID:	2090053   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-04-18 09.48.38.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	1.68 MB
ID:	2090054   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-04-18 09.48.43.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	2.01 MB