Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Sailplane Manufacturers Help for UAV

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Sailplane Manufacturers Help for UAV

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 07:32 AM
Outlaw2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sailplane Manufacturers Help for UAV

Hi guys. I'm not familiar with the high performance RC sailplane community and looking for experienced folks to keep me out of trouble and some direction. We're doing an R&D project where we'll be cannibalizing probably several high performance sailplane kits. Are there any high end U.S. builders? I think we'll need a wing area in the neighborhood of 1800-1900 in^2 but we're limited to about a 3.6m span (9-10'). Prefer carbon and three piece. Saw the Chilli from SoaringUSA and the wing looks good, but for our application the fuse is unusable. Need more volume for batteries, etc more like the scaled stuff. We used and RnR SBX years ago, but seems the stuff coming out of Cech Republic and Slovakia are more current and high quality.

So I'm open to buying a 4-6m wing to get the chord/area we need and chop it down to get to our low speed requirements. I envision probably buying 3 or 4 sailplanes to create our Frankenstein test mule.

I'm hoping the experts here will point me to manufacturers closer to home, but mainly who are the best providers of larger, carbon sailplanes. Thanks all. You're working with a clean slate with me. Any advice welcome.

BTW, found Jaro Muller but have no idea of his products. Wing looks good but all else too small volume so mostly will throw all away but wing. Again thx.
Old 02-10-2017, 12:01 PM
Outlaw2

Geeez. 70 views and no comments. Everyone buying XC sailplanes from Europe? Thanks at least for reading.
Old 02-10-2017, 01:53 PM
Sailhigh

You'll have much better luck at RCGroups. Large sailplane community there, even a dedicated XC forum;

https://www.rcgroups.com/cross-country-soaring-684/
Old 02-12-2017, 12:13 PM
longsoar

Just paid for my Optimus F5J with extra tail boom. Will be making a custom fuse for it. I'll be posting build process:
https://www.wentrc.com/f/aircraft/sa...es/1482983934/
It is a high performance glider and per my research it is a cheapest on the market.
Cheers,
Mark
Old 02-14-2017, 07:33 PM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

OK

Last edited by Tom Nied; 09-18-2017 at 04:18 AM. Reason: no relevance
Old 09-18-2017, 12:02 AM
speedamigo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry to say this, but good high performance gliders are built in eastern europe - not in the usa. brands are valentamodel.cz, baudismodel.com, nanmodels.com and many others. if you have a lot of money to spend, there are also some german companies like aerosportbecker.com or the austrians leskycomposite.at and pcm.at .jaro müller was the leading manufacturer a few years ago, he is experimenting with adaptive wing designs right now....

stefan