Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

motor thrust angles

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2023, 12:55 PM
creepyflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default motor thrust angles

Im currently building a glider it asw 15 and converting it to electrick drive can anyone that knows share common thrust angles on gliders please
Old 12-30-2023, 02:18 AM
UStik

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

1 degree right, 4 down, that's what works for me.
Old 12-30-2023, 08:14 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Depends on how you intend to fly it. If you are going to use the motor to get up to altitude only and then glide/thermal I would not put any offset at all. If you will be using power to fly around, then yes, a couple degrees down and right. I have several powered gliders with zero offset, I do have a throttle to elevator mix so that I can adjust the climb rate under power though.
Old 12-30-2023, 09:24 AM
creepyflyer

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
Depends on how you intend to fly it. If you are going to use the motor to get up to altitude only and then glide/thermal I would not put any offset at all. If you will be using power to fly around, then yes, a couple degrees down and right. I have several powered gliders with zero offset, I do have a throttle to elevator mix so that I can adjust the climb rate under power though.
hey thanks
Well first of all the asw15 is a aerobatic glider not ment to thermal and i will mostely fly it aerobaticly
The reason for me asking about the thrust angle is beqause i dont want to make the mistake again like i did on my rcrcm dg600 and not use enough down angle resulting in very difficult hand launching of the model
I started at 3 dergrees down and had to redo the motor mount to get to 4 degrees and this is way better. Before the model would pitch up on launch very violent even with throttle to ele mix once launched it flew good
I presume the rcrcm dg600 would be impossible to handlaunch with no down thrust at all
Finding someone who has the asw15 and has built a motor in it would o coarse be the best way of finding the good motor setup

greets
Old 12-30-2023, 09:25 AM
creepyflyer

Originally Posted by UStik
1 degree right, 4 down, that's what works for me.
thanks 4 down is what i came to dialing in my rcrcm dg600 so maybe a good starting point for this one two