Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Dynaflite Bird of time electric conversion questions

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Dynaflite Bird of time electric conversion questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2024, 07:59 AM
MrMike59

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dynaflite Bird of time electric conversion questions

Greetings,
I have always loved the sleek lines of the Bird of Time. I came across a NIB Dynaflite ARF without an Electric motor set-up. I've seen MANY articles on the conversion and motor, prop, and ESC suggestions from a while ago, but is there any current information available. Also, MOST Importantly is wher to cut the nose and reinforce the motor mount. I have 3d printers and have seen references to R/Cairmods.com, but the links fail, I'm sure they are long defunked. I love this plane and want to give her a chance to fly. I want to do a top-notch conversion and I'm looking for any guidance I can get. Thank you for any assistance
Old 03-01-2024, 01:55 PM
John Wells
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know of any articles on the e-mod, but it's pretty straightforward. You'll need to measure the diameter of the rear side of your spinner. Cut the fuselage so the fuselage nose diameter matches with the back of the spinner. I like to angle the opening so it has about 3-5 degrees of right thrust and down thrust .

Fabricate a plywood firewall with all holes required, and slip it in from the inside of the fuselage. Regarding glue, lightly sand the inside of the fuselage and do a quick wipedown with alcohol or thinner. I use epoxy mixed with milled fiberglass to thicken the epoxy just a little. Coat the contact surfaces with epoxy and let it cure. If you sanded carefully, the spinner will closely match the fuselage.

Take your time and dont rush. The nose job won't make you nervous if you take your time and do not cut the nose too short. Hope this helps.

JW