Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

first aileron glider

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2004, 08:49 AM
andy0531

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first aileron glider

I'm a new member here - and have been around the edges of rc gliders for a number of years. Built and flown a couple of Olympic 650s some time ago. Want to get back into things again. Have my mind set on getting to the next level so would love some suggestions on choosing a first aileron glider for 2M or standard thermal. Budget of under $200 for the kit. I'd say I'm an intermediate level builder - so nothing too sophisticated in the construction arena. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. There are just so many planes out there that all claim great flying characteristics I'm just not sure what to look for. Or perhaps what to LOOK OUT for?! Thanks - Andy
Old 02-27-2004, 11:22 AM
Landi
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: first aileron glider

Hi Andy

Getting into the bigger stuff I personally would recomed go into scale gliders. There are several sites out there where u can find something to fit your budget.

For a newbie into Airleron glider you should look for the scale floaters such as the KA6, ASK 18 and other oldtimers they all have very good flying characteristics. the 2 i mentioned are my personal favorits.

http://www.icare-rc.com/

Saludos Landi
Old 02-27-2004, 01:37 PM
AcintSpec

Andy:

The new Spirit Elite may fill the bill for you. It is a 2-meter ARF with a molded fuse, ailerons, flaps, el and rud. A little epoxy for the tail feathers, add your radio and/or any other personal preferences and you are good to go. LHS has been selling these for about $130+tax. They are easily trimmed and fly well too. There is a 100" Spirit also but is definitely not an ARF but does build easily, and will come in well under your $200 budget.

Just my $.02 worth

Regards,
Gene
Old 02-28-2004, 10:42 PM
andy0531

Gene

Thanks, I'll definitely take a look at the Spirit Elite. There is quite a bit of discussion of them here.

How about any of the NESailplanes offerings? They're right up here in my neck of the woods. Any good intermediate kits for a first time aileron ship?

Thanks

Andy
Old 03-01-2004, 09:23 AM
sargentw

I have a NEsail Electron 400A (ailerons). I use a wattage 27T cobalt motor, Electrifly C30 Esc, 4x7 folding, prop and a 7.4v 2s2p 2400 mah lipoly. There are (4) Hitec HS-55 micro servos installed. This is a direct drive setup. I would like to have a direct drive brushless in it, but I moved all the gear over from my retired Terry Graupner. The fuse is very tough and takes the day to day landings well.

The plane is well vented and nothing gets hot. With the spoilerons the plane slows way down and lands like a park flyer. The plane is an excellent performer and thermals well. The best part is it packs down into a small travel box.

If I opened this power system up for 60 seconds my Electron 400A would be out of sight (gone!!).
Old 03-01-2004, 09:02 PM
Rwillride17

I have the dynaflite bobcat. Easy to build and flies great.