Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Winch foot switch?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2004, 09:41 PM
jtprouty
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winch foot switch?

Hi All,

Does anyone have a suggestion for which switch I should use for my winch? I have the power running through two relays so it shouldn't draw very much amperage through it during use. Of course it needs to be durable. Any information would be greatly appreciated,

Jim Prouty
Old 04-03-2004, 09:43 PM
SoCal GliderGuider

Default RE: Winch foot switch?

Local industrial supply. Machinery.

Also Graingers. Or McMaster-Carr on the internet.
Old 04-03-2004, 10:26 PM
smoking joe

I have a switch from local Carquest Auto parts store that I plan on using just for that purpose don't have a part # but its a simple push starter switch 12V application. Smoking Joe
Old 04-04-2004, 09:28 AM
rogerflies
My Feedback: (3)

I make a Truly Redundant footswitch. It has two microswitches which close at slightly different times as the pedal is depressed. Each microswitch is connected to one of the winch solenoids. The solenoids are mounted in series, of course.

This arrangements reduces wear on one of the solenoids, since the first one to close isn't switching any current at the time it closes. That reduces the chances of contact welding and a runaway winch.

The other benefit of the Truly Redundant footswitch is that you can easily tell if one of the solenoids has welded contacts. As you depress the switch, you'll hear the first solenoid close with a distinct "click". Press further, the second solenoid closes, and the motor runs. If you don't hear the "click", the first solenoid has welded contacts. If the motor runs with the pedal depressed only a little, the secoond solenoid has welded contacts. Every time you use the winch, you'll know if the solenoids are OK, and letting up on the pedal will get at least one of the solenoids to open.

The only way to tell if you have welded solenoid contacts with a regular footswitch is to test each solenoid separately, or wait for a runaway winch to ruin your day.

Here's a photo. Email me if you're interested in getting one or need more info on how to make your own.

Roger
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56992.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	118625  
Old 04-21-2004, 06:58 AM
jtprouty

Hi All,

Thanks for all of the information. I'd like to try both methods and have purchased a high quality switch from a local marine store. I would definitely like informaton on the micro switchs also.

Also, is there a semi-common design for the pedal itself? I was considering getting a used (ie. broken) foot pedal from a sewing machine and putting the switches in that. Thoughts?

Happy flying,

Jim Prouty
Old 02-27-2005, 03:20 PM
Miami Mike

ORIGINAL: rogerflies

The only way to tell if you have welded solenoid contacts with a regular footswitch is to test each solenoid separately, or wait for a runaway winch to ruin your day.
Here's something new you might be interested in. It's an audible alarm that sounds if either winch solenoid gets stuck:

[link]http://www.vvsss.com/buzzer/[/link]
Old 02-28-2005, 10:22 AM
jtprouty

Hi Mike,

Saw this on RCSE. Looks great! Will add one to my new winch for use this spring. Thanks for the great information!

Jim
www.jtmodels.com