Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

!!! Composite Flying Wing !!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

!!! Composite Flying Wing !!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2004, 03:16 PM
Jeep-mini-t-man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default !!! Composite Flying Wing !!!

i recently purchased the combatwings XE2. i love this model so much that i am going to make a composite, with carbon D-box construction wing. i plan on a 48 inch wingspan and the same or similar airfoil. i think i can get it to be around 20 oz. what do you think?!?
Old 04-13-2004, 05:26 PM
lincoln_fh

Default RE: !!! Composite Flying Wing !!!

I think that will be so fragile to combat. But if it will be used to fly only I think that will be very good. I think that a carbon D-box is not necessary, due to small wing span and kind of flight. I think 20 oz so much, the ideal to thermal conditions is about 12 oz or 16 oz to slope.
Old 04-13-2004, 11:55 PM
probligo

Default RE: !!! Composite Flying Wing !!!

Before you get too far down the track, see if you can get a hold of the AMI (Aircraft Modeller International) for March.

There is an article in that on "ribless D-box construction". Now while this has been written for my speciality (F1A glider), it should not be difficult to adapt to the kind of model you are thinking of.

I haven't read it yet - just returned home with it from LHS - but the principles have been around for a while, and it is simply a matter of double skinning uni-d cf under woven cf.

There has been mention in recent times of "co-weave cf and kevlar". I first saw this about 15 years back, in 6oz upward form, too heavy, no dang good for models. That product seemed to disappear - it was horrendously expensive as well. At the past Worlds the Chinese turned up with d-boxes on F1A and F1c models made from a similar product. So keeping an eye out in some of the specialty places on the web might be an idea as well.

With good design. you could prove the combat nay-sayers completely wrong... good luck.