Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

House of Balsa 2x4

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2004, 08:28 PM
vicjperry
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default House of Balsa 2x4

My ex-wife recently cleaned out her attic (cleaned me out long ago) and found a box containing a house of balsa 2x4. Any ideas on modifications or general advice on this kit?

It says on the list of "parts needed to complete", that I need an H.O.B. "upright"???? Any idea what that is? Is it a sort of hi start?

Any info on the kit would be greatly appreciated.

Vic
Old 07-11-2004, 11:54 PM
vicjperry
Banned

Default RE: House of Balsa 2x4

Never mind!
The wood in the kit, being in the attic so long, has become so warped that after building the fuselage, it is obvious that the glider will fly nothing but circles, if that. In the garbage it goes.
Old 07-12-2004, 12:44 PM
wellenreiter

Too bad
Cause I know this guy who build the 2x4 with straight wings and ailerons plus V-tail.
It does a good job at the slope and even survived some collisions with foamies.
Old 07-12-2004, 06:14 PM
Jeff Page
My Feedback: (2)

The 2x4 is a great glider to have "around" for instruction and to let the kids fly. This was my first ever RC model airplane to build and finish from a kit when I was in 7th grade(with no help) It goes together fast, and is very rugged for teaching people how to fly. I flew the hell out of mine , taught half the nieghborhood kids how to fly....hundreds of flights. And if it gets totaled---so what, the thing only costs 20 bucks
Old 07-12-2004, 11:18 PM
Rick K
My Feedback: (6)

Vic, all is not as bad as you may think. There are several ways to cure warped wood some of the time, if it's only warped as in not flat anymore you can spray the wood with 'Windex' and place some weight on them to flatten the wood out again. This works also with twists. If the wood has become 'banana' shaped, laying flat from end to end in the Horz. plane (side to side, not vert.) then you do have some problems. Steaming the wood also works. It all depends how badly you want to save the kit . . . it's not that rare or anything, and wasn't that expensive to start with, if more than a couple of pieces of wood are messed up, well. Don't feel alone, my ex trashed six NIB's of my in the "can't refuse the deal, I'll build them when my skills are up to it", in the bank kits.
Rick K.
Old 07-13-2004, 01:11 AM
vicjperry
Banned

Hey thanks for the reassurance. I was actually thinking of doing that. I'm going to take a close look at the spars and such. If all is not too bad I may just keep going. I'll post the results.

Vic
Old 07-13-2004, 09:53 AM
flybaby101

good choice in glider , it was my first 2m glider after a few years flying hlg , also if the fuse sides are warped and beyond repair , just get some hard 3mm balsa and copy the sides , make some doublers from thin ply to the end of the wing then put some 5mm square balsa to the rear of the fuse , modify the formers to fit and the you have a fuse with the same strength as the originial but lighter , also add 1ft to ech wingtip as the fuse is the same as the 2x6 . thin the ribs by 3mm and cap them top and bottom wth sheeting at the front of the wing , and make a v-tail out of the stabilser for the elevalor by cutting it in half setting it to 110 degrees with some ply braces , run the rods through the top of the fuse for the v , and though the middle of the vtail with supports , this works superbly and eliminates fiddly setup , if you make the v-tail removable wth some 3mmm bolts through to ply floor at the rear with a 2 peice wing for transport ease , also spoilers into the wing or flaps may be an option as getting this one down on windy days is challenge , dont throw it out if the body is trashed , experiment , thats what fuels the hobby... this is a 2x6 i built from scratch earler this year and im actually keen to build another with a smoother airfoil and rounded off body to stramline the design a bit as i reckon the boxy body and thick wing ruin some hidden performance within that needs unleashing...

cheers
dug[&:]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ol31183.jpg
Views:	503
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	153203  
Old 09-22-2012, 04:51 AM
br549

Does anyone have plans? I have a started kit, but need the wing and rudder plans. Rib spacing and rudder shape will get me going. An out of scale scanned image will help too.

Thanks,
Old 09-22-2012, 06:53 PM
br549

Never mind... I am able to use the descriptions from the instructions, details from the photos and plans from another HOB glider (Two Tee) to get the info I need. The center panel is 24" and each of the outboard wings are 12" each.