Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Omei oh my!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2004, 01:29 PM
Mike Ledbetter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Omei oh my!

Just got my Omei that I ordered from Ebay ($66+shipping from Canada). 2 meter fiberglass fuse very thin built up wing, 540 motor.

Outstanding quality from the looks of it. Can't wait to get it put together and airborne. Aileron (2 servos) and elevator only, although it looks like adding a rudder would be easy.

Will post pics.

Regards
Old 07-20-2004, 09:43 PM
hexonxonx
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Omei oh my!

sounds interesting,looking forward to pics.im currently(STILL) trying to build my own idea,without anything to fly for my fix while warping my mind on this project.at some point this month i will order a new ship.glad to see some life in this forum.
Old 07-20-2004, 10:59 PM
Mike Ledbetter

Well, until mine's built, here's a pic from the web. Check eBay from time to time for a deal.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo41001.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	155726  
Old 07-21-2004, 09:28 AM
hexonxonx

THATS WHAT IM TALKIN ABOUT.looks good,thanks for the reply.
Old 07-26-2004, 02:30 PM
Mike Ledbetter

Well, I maidened the Omei on Sunday and wow it was a blast.

Fired up the stock motor and prop, gave it a gentle toss into the wind and it gently rose almost vertically, like a Harrier. Needed only one click of aileron trim. Got some airspeed up and the plane flies very smoothly. Kind of heavy for a thermaler, but plenty strong for high-speed acrobatics. With power off, the plane flies very well, but will nose up in a turn; adding some aileron differential may fix this tendency.

The landing was uneventful. There was a strong headwing to slow the plane and it flew all the way to the end of the landing without stalling. No dings or damage whatsoever, and our glider field is a little rocky.

First flight was short, as I hadn't allowed enough elevator travel and felt a little uncomfortable. That problem is now fixed and rare earth magnets from Radio Shack are holding on the canopy.

These planes are a steal at the prices they go for on Ebay. The quality is comparable to my $200 Kyosho Viento.

Regards.
Old 09-02-2004, 05:20 PM
iflyatcae

wow that sounds pretty sweet. so you wouldnt say you have any complaints on the building or covering of it? ive seen some other forums where people thought the wings werent too great. i want one pretty bad, it looks so sweet. one more thing, could it take the weight of a mini cam and 9v battery? thanks
Old 09-04-2004, 02:27 AM
dccuser1
My Feedback: (6)

[8D]Mike, I just finished one with a Graupner 480 gear drive. What a great little sailplane! You will enjoy it.
Dccuser1
Old 09-17-2004, 12:06 AM
soholingo

Not a hotliner.... almost vertical doesn't, are not words used when describing hotliners. Unlimited vertical is more like it...

j
Old 05-15-2005, 02:52 PM
bh95

I just recieved a Omei as a gift. Where can I get parts for these great looking planes? Thanks in advance.
Old 05-16-2005, 11:48 PM
Dan Taylor

What did you use for a battery
Old 05-18-2005, 02:08 AM
radobahn

Anyone upgraded one of these to brushless yet? Was thinkin maybe a Himax 2825 or 3618 series motor.... but not sure. It's always nice to hear of setups that actually work.
Old 07-06-2005, 02:10 AM
radobahn

Well it does'nt sound like anyones interested so I'll answer my own question

Heres the list of goodies..
-AXI 2814/10 outrunner brushless motor
-Jeti 30A brushless esc
-Kokam 3s2p 4000mah
-Aero-naut 10.5x6" folding prop w/45mm spinner
TX is a JR XP6102 and RX is a JR R700

Lets just say I was not only impressed at the results on the first flight..... it flat out scared the hell outta me. I fly nitro heli's and 3D BL foamies so I'm very familiar with unlimited vertical flight. I'm not sure if it compares to some of the so-called "hotliners" but the OMEI now pulls at a 90 degree vertical angle, full speed, until I decide to level off. The part that scares me is landing, even with flaps at 70-80% its still screaming in for a landing. I have to start my landing approach much further out than I'm used to in order to get this plane on the ground... is this normal? How can I slow the thing down? Any comments and/or help appreciated.
Old 07-06-2005, 04:34 PM
iflyatcae

Wow, sounds pretty sweet. Im a "member" of the badius owners club and a few of those guys got omeis. I think one of them is using spoilerons. Not sure though, have you thought of that? Good luck, and keep the good flying up .
Old 07-06-2005, 10:51 PM
radobahn

OOPS... I should have said spoilerons not flaps. Maybe I need to bump up the percentage on them with some down elevator....I'll have to do some experimenting this weekend. I did'nt know there was an actual club for Badius owners, the Badius was my first plane ($68 from Raidentech) and I still fly it as much as everything else. Its always been a very relaxing plane to fly..

Oh yeah, for my first flight with the BL setup I threw on my Black Widow 600mw cam/TX and the footage turned out really well. I'm working on the editing now and when I find a host can put it up here... or maybe it belongs in the "Aerial Video forum"?
Old 07-07-2005, 05:42 PM
iflyatcae

Ah. Yeah, the badius is a true sport. It taught me to fly all by itself. Sadly though, I'm retiring it for now[].If you need someone to host your video, try pming afineman. He is another "member" of the club, and has a place he uses to host big vids. I'd be interested in seeing that video.
Old 07-16-2005, 03:07 AM
radobahn

Ok heres the video.. It's my first one and I used Studio 9 for editing....I'm happy with it so far. Theres much more to making a short video than I thought and have alot more to learn...but It was fun and think it turned out ok. IMO theres a few too many transitions or "fades" between frames, Studio9 would'nt let me delete some of them and have'nt figured out why yet. Also, the host I'm using wont except files larger than 10mb so unfortunately video/audio quality kinda went down the toilet..

http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=Naches-aerial-video

whoops.. ignore the message at the end. We stayed with some friends on the 4th and they wanted a copy of the flight.